24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Show up now

23 95.83%
  • Wait till you're really a FF

1 4.17%
    Forum Member

Question Probies on Parade

In another thread someone suggested:

"A good Proby shows up for all Department functions such as medal days, parades, etc....."

Memorial day's coming up. Ous being a very small town, half the town marches in the parade, the other half watches. I'll have been with the Company all of 6 weeks by then. If I go get fitted for a shiny new dress uniform and show up will the other guys:

Think that's great

or

Think who the F do I think I am wearing a uniform I've not "earned."

BTW we are an all Volunteer Company (and if I should be posting in the Volunteer forum please let me know).

Thanks for all the help, guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't see anything wrong with getting the uniform. You're a member and that's that.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Forum Member

All advice on here is very subjective to say the least. Only you have the intuition as to what might occur if you go one way or the other. If your gonna be in it for the long haul, I would survey your situation and do what YOU think is best.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
    All advice on here is very subjective to say the least. Only you have the intuition as to what might occur if you go one way or the other. If your gonna be in it for the long haul, I would survey your situation and do what YOU think is best.
    I agree. Often, the best thing to do is ask some of the guys at your station. Show an interest and see what they think. I'm almost sure that you will be invited to march. After all, they did accept you into membership.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

You might have trouble getting a dress uniform in 3 weeks unless they have some extra uniforms in a closet.

Forum Member

I say go. And there is nothing wrong with wearing a suit.

In my department I had to go through almost all of academy just to get Class B Work uniform. And only now with parades and Memorial Day coming up have I been fitted for a Class A uniform. The Chief likes to see some dedication before shelling out 500 dollars.

~Jeff
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

Talk to the chief or who ever the officer is that is in charge or the parade. If your there and help cleaning the trucks to go. my fd would take you.

Forum Member

In my volly fire company, the only way to get your dress uniform is to show up for a parade or funeral. I agree with those who say show up for the truck cleaning and then go on the parade.

Someone in charge is going to give you the uniform, if anyone else has an issue with it direct that person to the guy who handed you the stuff.

PS Parades are fun! Go and have fun.

If your going to be on a department you need to show up for every thing (dinners, parades, fundraisers...). Its a really good way to get to know every one and for them to get to know you. That and you've made a commitment to the department and its members. If you aren't giving your all and showing up for everything that the other members are showing up to, then in my opion you dont deserve to be there and you should just resign.

(obviously there are extenuating circumstances (other jobs, health, family obligations)but if you can make it for any ammount of time YOU SHOULD)
    Rath De Ort

RSM

Permanently Removed

Your a member now man, show up, this will show your company your not only dedicated but you honor your company by representing them.

GO FOR IT!!

Forum Member

I agree with what everyone else said. On our department (also volunteer), we only do one parade on the 4th of July. Trainees and probies are expected to show up and help get the rigs parade-ready, and then be in the parade. In fact, the department banner is carried by two of the trainees (those are the only two who walk...everyone else rides on rigs.

Only difference is that on our department, you can't get a dress uniform until you've completed the probationary period. Of course, we don't wear dress uniforms for the parade anyway.

When I got my dress uniform, it took over 2 months to get. I ordered it in early December (hoping to get it for our Christmas dance), and I finally got it in late February. It had come in before that, but the color of the pants didn't match the jacket, so they had to order a new pair of pants.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Early Adopter

Default Re: Probies on Parade

Originally posted by itmhq1
    Memorial day's coming up. Ous being a very small town, half the town marches in the parade, the other half watches. I'll have been with the Company all of 6 weeks by then. If I go get fitted for a shiny new dress uniform and show up will the other guys...
    The only way to know what members of your department will think... is to ask the members of your department!

Regardless of whether you get your dress uniform in time or are able to march in the parade, you should still support your department. Make sure you're handy whenever the shine/polish detail is scheduled.

Thread Information