Thread: post equipment

Forum Member

Question post equipment

Does your post own equipment?

We frequently have problems with getting to use department equipment so we have thought about buying our own. Just wanted to see how many other posts buy and maintain their own equipment.

We are thinking about getting a backboard along with the needed accessories, radios (el cheap-oís but not FRS (man I hate FRS) and NOT on FD frequencies), smoke machine, and gear bags for traveling.

Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Posts should have their own equipment in my opinion when it comes to gear, uniforms, pagers, radios, etc. But when it comes down to using equipment such as backboards or splints, the department should be able to provide those.

What are your plans for radios? Are you going to be applying for an FCC license, or?

Forum Member

We have the departmentís spare bunker gear. Right now we are at the mercy of the department OIC during trainings. If they take the rigs out for training or a call, we have nothing left. If there is stuff left we may not be allowed to use it. They donít like us using their stuff because it takes the rig out of service and they are worried we will break something. Seriously, does it take that long to throw it back in the rig? How on earth could you break a backboard?

Ok, rant off

The radios will be used for training and for coordinating fundraising and other events. We donít go to scenes so they will not be used for any sort of emergency communications. Iím looking at the VHF business band. From what I can tell it is now license free. It seems to offer the best mix of price, range, durability, reliability, lack of channel congestionÖ

Another big plus is we sometimes rent business band radios, and some other posts we train with have business radios. Might as well make sure theyíre compatible.

Forum Member

The junior corps that I was with has their own equipment in regards to bunker gear, radios (business band) and our own pagers. As for the training equipment like hose and other stuff we just use the truck. It we are going to work with hose usually the companines will take extra hose that is not packed on the truck so if a call goes in the drop the hose and leave it and go. When we take something off the apparatus it does not put the unit oit of service but just be prepared if it is needed for front line firefighting then be able to put it back as fast a possible.
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

a mechanicsburg fire dept. the jr can use what ever we want. we train with the other guys if right now we are useing the old ems gear but we are getting new gear soon. they trust us because were being trained by them and they know if we do something wrong it's something they did.

MembersZone Subscriber

we have turnouts that the post owns and we can use all the fd`s gear
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

We had post owned gear then the dept gave their 5 year old gear to us upon recieving new gear. The explorers are on their own for gear bags, but our post owns, two trailers, 1 pacific trauma bag stocked, 2 smaller trauma bags stocked, oxygen kit, various bp cuffs and stethoscopes, 1 scoop stretcher, 1 stokes basket, 3-4 wooden backboards, 6 plastic backboards, 4 smoothbore 1 1/2" nozzles, approximatly 15 construction hardhats, 2-3 BVM's, 4 axes, lots of 1.5" hose, 250' 4" LDH, hydrant/spanner wrenches, 5 Scott SCBA's, 4 2.5 gallon PW tanks, 1 stair chair, 1 collapseable stretcher, 1 10 gallon igloo cooler, and various other equipment I can't remember. Our fd is very nice to us and allows us to take a truck to a disaster drill every May which is about 45 mi. away, lets us take equip. off second-due trucks, lets us use an engine for waterball, helps at our muster, and sometimes they let us use the dept scba's, and ff's will help us in our drills every week.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information