Thread: Hydrant bags

Forum Member

Question Hydrant bags

Does anybody have ideas for storing and carrying items that would be used for a hydrant hook up? Looking for input on what works and what doesn't (bag, bucket, milkcrate, etc). The container would have to carry 4-1/2" x 5.0" storz adapter, a 2.50" hydrant valve, 2-1/2" x 5.0" storz, hydrant wrench, spanner and a storz wrench. I remember seeing an article about a department that made their own portable tool board out of aluminum that carry hydrant items.

Forum Member

We use a tool bag that you can find at any home improvement or hardware store. They are available in multiple sizes and are much cheaper than buying a fire service hydrant bag.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

we got one of those FAINCY bags,.....cant remember from where though.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    we got one of those FAINCY bags,.....cant remember from where though.
    We got one of the "fire-service bags" (which means you get basically the same thing for 3 times the cost), but then decided to go with the tool bags for the rest........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Klein Tools

We use a large canvas tool bag. They have a pretty wide selection. Available at any good electrical supply house.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the electric linemans bucket,work great. We attached a snap hook on the handle and an I bolt to the rear of the both Engines and leave them on the tail board with the Strotz of the LDH stuffed inside the bucket as well, a strap with a loop is attached to the LDH at the bed level so when the Hydrant guy gets of, he grabs the bucket, LDH and the strap w/loop all at the same time, when he gets to the plug, there is plenty of line to work with and your tools are there as well.

Saves from fogetting something on the Engine when its already laying in.

We carry 1- 4 1/2 steamer to 4" Stortz, 1- 2 1/2 hydrant valve with a 2 1/2 to 4" stortz adapter already together, hyrant wrench, standard and stortz spanners.

Just some Ideas, good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Just a question. Why do you all carry the hydrant adaptor for the LDH in a bag? We have ours on the end of the hose, ready to go. All we carry in our bag is a hydrant wrench and a set of spanners (we dont use any 2.5" valves or adaptors for hydrants).

Just curious
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave1983
    Just a question. Why do you all carry the hydrant adaptor for the LDH in a bag? We have ours on the end of the hose, ready to go. All we carry in our bag is a hydrant wrench and a set of spanners (we dont use any 2.5" valves or adaptors for hydrants).
    I can answer this question for us, and our setup is basically like taskforce16's...in a tool bag.

We run both hydranted and non-hydranted areas. As a result, we have both an LDH manifold and a 5" hydrant assist valve mounted on the tailboard, plus a hydrant adaptor in the bag (along with the 2.5" ball valve, spanners, etc.). The LDH is normally hooked to the manifold. That way, we have options:

- If we're laying to a static water supply to fill tankers, we need the manifold at the end of the LDH anyway (our tanker setup is for another thread).

- If we're laying in to a scene without hydrants, it's easy for one person to remove the manifold when the supply engine licks up the line, or it can just be left on there and they can pump straight through it.

- If we're doing a long lay from a hydrant, we drop the line and the hydrant assist valve, which is easiest to maneuver when it's not hooked to 5" anyway, the the lead off man can set the manifold aside as he does his hookup with the hydrant assist valve and the 2.5" valve.

- If we're doing a short lay (400' or less) from a green or blue hydrant, the lead off man can forget about the hydrant assist valve, just throw the hydrant adaptor and the 2.5" valve on the hydrant, hook the 5" right on the hydrant, and it's all set.

- If we're reverse laying from a scene or as part of a relay, the manifold makes a good temporary anchor and is easy for another operator to remove and lay aside.

All our LDH is Storz, and the four municipalities around us have gotten together to apply for a grant to put Storz connections on all the hydrant steamers in the area (there are hundreds of them, so it's a big expense). If they're successful, it will simplify things for us even further in the hydranted areas.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

We also use Klein tool bags.

In them we carry: 5" to 2.5" hydrant adapter, 5" threaded to Storz adapter, gate valve, adjustable hydrant wrench, city hydrant wrench, two spanners and 2 LDH spanners.

The reason we don't leave the LDH adapter on the hose is because we don't want to have to remember to remove it when we connect to another truck or portable hydrant. If you forget to remove it you won't have it when you get to the hydrant.

Forum Member

A Mason's tool bag works well. The department I used to be a member of has used them for years. Sturdy and relatively inexpensive. We generally tossed them off the back as we were pulling the supply line. You can fit lots of stuff in them and they have a reinforced bottom so that they will handle the load and the abuse.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

we just recently moved from the bucket hanging on the back to this:

the bucket looked like *** hanging off the back, plus it would always get crap inside it. this bag can also be used as a backpack if needed even with SCBA on. we have a storz adapter for 5", hydrant wrench, large spanner wrench, 2 small spanner wrenches, 2 single gates, a reducer and one or two other small things i cant remember this second (just put the new bags on the truck like a week ago) and so far ive used it once and it works grreat!
    Last edited by Maverick9110E; 05-11-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Forum Member

We use a medium rope bag from I beleive r & b fab. It has a drawstring closure and a large loop type handle. It only cost us about $20-$25.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use plastic Craftsman toolboxes. In them are 4.5 in. NST x storz, 4 in. NST x storz, 4 in. storz x 5 in. storz adapter, 2.5 in. NST x storz, 2.5 in hydrant gate, set of spanners, and a hydrant wrench.

Forum Member

OK, thanks. We dont have any areas without hydrants or a need for tankers. Also, if we reveres lay from a rig back to a hydrant, we carry an extra Storz to hydrant steamer adaptor on all the rigs.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information