Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question First day on shift and......

After 2 months of being on 40's for training, yesterday was my first 24 on. I showed up for roll call and the BC said that I was going to be on the ladder truck. Okay, 4th on the truck would be a good first day. He told me that I would be riding in the officers seat Well, except for a couple of non critical (radio) rookie mistakes, I made it through the night and had a blast. We ran several alarm calls, one water leak in a structure, a smoke in a structure with the last call at 23:30. I didnt sleep a whole lot worrried about missing a call, so its off to bed for a power nap.

And to think, I waisted 12 years in law enforcement!
    Last edited by BillTheGrillGuy; 05-10-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Are you on Truck 1 or Truck 2? Gotta love those C'ville tillers!
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

Forum Member

Truck 1. But, I was told that I should be a 4th for the rest of the cycle. Could be on an engine or the truck.

Where are you from?

Question Re: First day on shift and......

Originally posted by BillTheGrillGuy
    After 2 months of being on 40's for training, yesterday was my first 24 on. I showed up for roll call and the BC said that I was going to be on the ladder truck. Okay, 4th on the truck would be a good first day. He told me that I would be riding in the officers seat Well, except for a couple of non critical (radio) rookie mistakes, I made it through the night and had a blast. We ran several alarm calls, one water leak in a structure, a smoke in a structure with the last call at 23:30. I didnt sleep a whole lot worrried about missing a call, so its off to bed for a power nap.

And to think, I waisted 12 years in law enforcement!

They let you ride in the OFFICER'S SEAT on your first day???

I guess Chief Julian is getting lax since he is retiring next month. Not to put you down Pal, What good were you in the Officer's seat, fresh out of recruit school????

We would never put a "new guy" in the front seat, until they passed their probation! Then and only then, the Company Captain say so and is sure that the member can do that job. Usually three years on the job. Too much responsibility for a new guy!!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Cap. I have to agree. Nothing against you pal, although I don't know how your loss of sleep was only about missing a run. What about killing someone due to your inexperience?

Putting a recruit in the officers seat their first day on the company doesn't say much for your department. Well actually, it speaks volumes, but it wouldn't sound good.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Originally posted by BillTheGrillGuy
    Truck 1. But, I was told that I should be a 4th for the rest of the cycle. Could be on an engine or the truck.

Where are you from?
    Waynesboro, right across Afton.
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

Forum Member

Relax guys. I have been a volunteer for 12 years. I have sat officers seat on engines for just as many years. This is my second recruit school. The first one was 11 years ago as a volunteer. This department wanted me to recert, so they put me through their recruit school. Didn't meen to cause any strokes.
    Bill

Congratulations on completing the second recruit class to be a career member. I still think, as does my Brother from Memphis, that a recruit has no business in the front seat on the first day.

I was on the job for 3 years before I was allowed to ride the Officerís seat and 10 years before I made Lieutenant to ride it every day.

Good luck Pal.

Congradulations! hope it was fun, and dont worry about the slack your taking for riding officer's seat. People around here most of the time are either envious, or just like to raise hell .

Exclamation

Originally posted by Rescue2947
    Congradulations! hope it was fun, and dont worry about the slack your taking for riding officer's seat. People around here most of the time are either envious, or just like to raise hell .

Riding the front, Officers seat, is a job that is for an experience member (Firefighter) or Officer. Not to jab at him, my department takes the job roles very seriously. Every one does not ride the front seat, until they are ready and the Officer of that Company is sure that this member will be able to handle to job.

Jealous? Envious? I donít think so. I made my bones when you in all likelihood were still a dream of someone. As of this past April, I had 45 years in the fire service.

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 05-10-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

Riding the front, Officers seat, is a job that is for an experience member (Firefighter) or Officer. Not to jab at him, my department takes the job roles very seriously. Every one does not ride the front seat, until they are ready and the Officer of that Company is sure that this member will be able to handle to job.

Jealous? Envious? I donÔŅĹt think so. I made my bones when you in all likelihood were still a dream of someone. As of this past April, I had 45 years in the fire service.

Not arguing with ya oldtimer, just dont wanna **** on the lad's pride. I agree that its a important seat, and the responsibility is huge. Someone put him there, and It must of been for a reason.

As for being a dream in someone, ahh not that young under half your experience but not by much, so I tip my Hat for your years given. I just didnt want to bring down a guy when everyone of us at that stage were proud of our first time.

Just wish people around here would bring cake to birthdays instead of bringing spankin's

Default Re: Re: First day on shift and......

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

They let you ride in the OFFICER'S SEAT on your first day???

I guess Chief Julian is getting lax since he is retiring next month. Not to put you down Pal, What good were you in the Officer's seat, fresh out of recruit school????

We would never put a "new guy" in the front seat, until they passed their probation! Then and only then, the Company Captain say so and is sure that the member can do that job. Usually three years on the job. Too much responsibility for a new guy!!!!

Must say thats a first for me me as well. You dont ride in that seat here till you have at least 3 years on the job and some (if not all) of your state FO I classes.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

---------------------------------------------------------
    Quote by Rescue2947
    "Congradulations! hope it was fun, and dont worry about the slack your taking for riding officer's seat. People around here most of the time are either envious, or just like to raise hell."

the original post:

And to think, I waisted 12 years in law

Rescue, I don't think Cap or myself had anything ill to say towards the individual. As a matter of fact we both excluded him from having anything to do with the decision being made for him to ride the seat. He was doing as he was told.

From the original post you can see that it appears as if this individual had no prior firefighting experience. He stated he was just out of 40 weeks in recruit school and that he made "rookie" mistakes. I admit to not know the entire situation. Maybe the truck only makes fire calls and therefore other experienced officers from other companies would be on the scene to make decisions. Who knows? At least the guy has now stated that he has at least been a volunteer for the last 12 years and I would assume to have some firefighting experience.

The fact remains though, that riding in charge of any piece of equipment is a tremendous resposibility. That company will have to act alone on any significant incident. Most recruit classes teach basic firemenship. The extent of ladder training includes throwing portable ladders and climbing the aerial ladder. Recruit classes normally do not dwell on the subjects of truck company SOPS or stategy and tactics. Recruits are taught what to do when told, they do not learn, nor could they gain the experience to know when to do things while attending class. Truck work by nature requires greater experience to be effective.

Jealous? Not hardly. I am an engine officer on 1 of the busiest companies in the city. Our point was not to burst any ones bubble, but that no matter what the circumstance, that would not happen in my department and not in Caps department, and not in a lot of other departments. If for none of the obvious safety concerns, what about the senority of the other paid guys in his departmet? Had he ever taken a promotional exam to be qualified to ride out of rank? I doubt it...IT WAS HIS FIRST DAY!!! How would you feel?

Chief - "Hey Rescue. This is BilltheGrill. He is gonna ride in charge of the truck today."

Rescue - "Chief, is that Bill the new guy....just out of class today?"

Chief - "Yes Rescue, but I have a good reason to let him ride in charge."

Rescue - "Well Chief, I have been paid here 3 years, I can ride if you want."

Chief - "No, I'm gonna let him try it."

That conversation here is a guaranteed call to Local 1784.

Having said all of this, if the guy has a good crew on the truck, he will most likely be okay. They will know what to do, when to do it, and will probably make the guy look good, but that doesn't excuse it.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 05-10-2005 at 07:07 PM.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Memphis, my main thought behind that post is not directed at anybody persay. I see alot of negative stuff all the time on these forums. Give the guy a pat on the back and let him shine. Its all I am trying to say. To many people use there Experience, Who they are, Who they ride for, or what ever. I dont think you will find a post with out somebody takin a **** on sombodys highlights! You have been there before as we all have you know how exciting it was.

Not saying it was you, or oldtimer, was just advising him before the rest of the hounds come along.

No harm done, Memphis I know the in's and out's.
    Last edited by Rescue2947; 05-10-2005 at 07:26 PM.

Arrow

well I got issues ........which one in the pic were you ? is the middle female the BC ? Were you an officer when you vollied ? Congrats on passin and I too wonder how you made the front seat on your first day, unless you were an officer on the vollies and just moved up. And thumbs up on the tillers !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

A full picture of the truck would be nice

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay folks, just my two cents here but it seems that this "Rookie" was placed in the front passenger's seat due to being the THIRD on the truck. I think for liability reasons it probably would not have been the best idea to place this individual in the driver's seat or the TILLER!! Hello!! I might not agree with the idea to place as the third on a ladder truck the first day out but much better than having them drive a piece on their first day that they may never have driven before!!! Does not make much sense to place them in the jump seat and make the driver talk on the radio AND drive a truck at the same time. I think we missed the point in their post about being the THIRD on the truck. How many departments out there would allow a newbie to drive the tiller or front on thier first day??????

Originally posted by craigsheets
    Okay folks, just my two cents here but it seems that this "Rookie" was placed in the front passenger's seat due to being the THIRD on the truck. I think for liability reasons it probably would not have been the best idea to place this individual in the driver's seat or the TILLER!! Hello!! I might not agree with the idea to place as the third on a ladder truck the first day out but much better than having them drive a piece on their first day that they may never have driven before!!! Does not make much sense to place them in the jump seat and make the driver talk on the radio AND drive a truck at the same time. I think we missed the point in their post about being the THIRD on the truck. How many departments out there would allow a newbie to drive the tiller or front on thier first day??????
    None...but some "noobs" feel that they are entitled!

Anybody stop and think that the officer may have decided to ride in the backseat on the rig by choice? Some FD's now have their company officers sit in the back of the rig where they can concentrate on preplans, radio comms and the ERG for hazmats instead of looking out for the traffic and sounding the warning devices.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

oh ya ............now it could make more sense with the whole 3 in the tiller thing .......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

None...but some "noobs" feel that they are entitled!

Anybody stop and think that the officer may have decided to ride in the backseat on the rig by choice? Some FD's now have their company officers sit in the back of the rig where they can concentrate on preplans, radio comms and the ERG for hazmats instead of looking out for the traffic and sounding the warning devices.
    Bingo! I know thats were we keep the records is in the med cab, so its easier for them to just grab what they want instead of having to ask for it. Also you thoughts on the traffic also makes sence. I just wasnt gonna hop on this guy for somthing, that we know was a big day for him!

Thread Information