Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ignoring 911 call prompts 2 firings

Two paramedics are dismissed for failing to respond to a caller who frequently dialed 911 when there was no emergency.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/10/No...call_pro.shtml

Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber SkipJack270's Avatar

Good article, and good issue. In my opinion, should the medics be fired, or at least HEAVILY punished (AKA split up, drop in pay, whatever as opposed to firing), I think that it is more an indication of not using one other big resource. The police. Unless I am mistaken, isn't calling 911 repeatedly without cause some kind of offense, even if it's only a fine or something?
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

MembersZone Subscriber SkipJack270's Avatar

Sorry, missed the "unanswered" bit. Yeah, then they both should be canned. However, if they were mad or whatever, then have the police follow them. Again, my bad.
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

Angry THEY SHOULD BE FIRED >>>>>>>GOOFS

while we get frquent fliers here on a ROUTINE basis,as do most places you still gotta go, BS Or not ...........a ttoally dispicable act with a poor reflection given to a Fire/EMS agency.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree. We once had a "Frequent Flyer", and eventually everyone memorized the address and took their time/or just didnt show up. The last time we were called to that address . . . it was a full arrest.

We don't get called there anymore.

Our frequent flier that called the most never called us for the big one. He used to call us all the time. He knew all the signs and symptoms of an MI and would have every one when you got there. You could even make up a few of your own and the next time he called, he would have those too.

Didn't get called for awhile and the PD got called for an odor in the building (don't know why FD didn't get called, though) and they found him. He'd been there for a couple days at least.......

As much of a pain in the ***** they are, we still have to take them seriously....... If they are abusing the system, get the PD involved.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

The medics need to be punished. Its there duty to provide a service. If they are having routine problems with the individual it needs to be passed on to proper authorities to have the problem dealt with the right way. This is very unprofessional and makes the department or services look bad, no matter what the out come.

OK, Im starting to get more info. The word is, the call came in as an OD, which in our system is a stage for PD call. The house was just down the street from their station. They advised dispatch that they would stage at the station and wait for PD to clear the scene. PD arrived, cleared the scene and advised medics were not needed.

Problem is, in our system, you still have to respond. PD is not recognized as being able to decide if a patient needs medics or not. I also heard that the department had investigated and just handed out a suspension. It wasnt untill the county's medical directors office found out during a routine QA review that the sh** hit the fan.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Originally posted by Dave1983
    I also heard that the department had investigated and just handed out a suspension. It wasnt untill the county's medical directors office found out during a routine QA review that the sh** hit the fan.
    Double Jeopardy!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Alex, "What is we are F*()&D for 500$ ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

OK, Im starting to get more info. The word is, the call came in as an OD, which in our system is a stage for PD call. The house was just down the street from their station. They advised dispatch that they would stage at the station and wait for PD to clear the scene. PD arrived, cleared the scene and advised medics were not needed.

Problem is, in our system, you still have to respond. PD is not recognized as being able to decide if a patient needs medics or not. I also heard that the department had investigated and just handed out a suspension. It wasnt untill the county's medical directors office found out during a routine QA review that the sh** hit the fan.
    Hmmm even with the new news, I would still go on the punishment side as Dave said
    Problem is, in our system, you still have to respond. PD is not recognized as being able to decide if a patient needs medics or not.
    So they still didnt follow procedures. To bad what they thought was a routine call ended up not being so routine.

Update...

OK, now the story I get (from another CFD FF) is the crew didnt stage at the station, they went available and told dispatch to have PD call for them back if needed.

They are going to fight it, and from what I understand they have a good case. Word is, there was a similar incident with another crew several years ago, this time with a patient actually haveing an MI, and the crew was given time off but not fired.

The key here is, the crew in the case years ago are white. The two medics fired last week are black. I wasnt aware, but apparently CFD has some serious racial issues (again, this from another CFD employee). Unfortunatly, it sounds like the "race card" may be played here. I say unfortunate as bad things usually come from that.

On a side note, even if they get their jobs back, the county medical director will probably pull their county medic certs.

More to follow I'm sure...

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Bump.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Double Jeopardy!!!
    I don't think that applies to this situation.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Problem is, in our system, you still have to respond. PD is not recognized as being able to decide if a patient needs medics or not.
    I don't see a problem here Dave. It may be (in some cases) redundant to send EMS in if there positively no problem upon an assessment by PD. It is that one in a thousand that will bite you the hardest. We get cancelled by PD, SO, and CHP regularly on MVA's. I personally reduce to code 2 and do a quick drive by the scene. I check for enough vehicle damage to compromise the air bag system. It's not that I don't trust the officers judgement, I just have more training in the areas of extrication and air bag systems than they might.

I gotta agree with Bou, on the other post as well. The way they handled it was wrong but, the frustration of constantly having to respond to a system abuser can build up in you. We have quite a few "drug seekers" and others who think we are a taxi service. The know exactly what to say to get a priority 1 response and a ride to the hospital. I hope they get to keep their jobs. Maybe a lesser punishment would suffice.
    IAFF

Thumbs down

UPDATE

Had to know this was comming...

Fired firefighters fighting back
    Thursday, October 13, 2005

Murray and Jones say white firefighters in the same situation were treated differently.

Two former Clearwater firefighter/paramedics fired for not responding to a 911 call are fighting back.

The men say they were fired because of their race.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...13/123313.html

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    UPDATE
    The men say they were fired because of their race.[/URL]
    Oh of course. I suppose it's george bush's fault too, right?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I would blame FEMA.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a duty and get paid to respond.

I do recall allowing a drunk to listen to a box alarm we missed with reports of a trapped victim while we waited on the ambulance to arrive.

Thread Information