Default Dining at restaurants. Good or Bad?

Just curious to all firefighters out there, what is you department's policy about frequenting restuarants while on duty in department apparatus (example, taking the engine to a buffet). Do you agree or disagree?
    Last edited by Shrekmedic1; 05-10-2005 at 08:01 PM.

former FH.com member

We are allowed to go get food provided it is take-out. Seems like no big deal to me.

Forum Member

It can be both. When people are professional being out in the public is almost always a good thing. You go out to eat on a clean fire apparatus, the guys look sharp, you get a run & everyone promptly gets up to respond = a good thing.

You go out to eat on filthy fire appratus, everyone is wearing something differn't, you get a run and the guys figure they can eat just a little more before leaving = a bad thing.

Its all perception. Looking the part is 90% of everything.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

We're allowed to go out and eat at a sit down restaurant, as long as all of our chores are done for the day and any 'special tasks' that the Chief and assistant chiefs(they're volunteers) may have set aside for us to do.

We are, however, required to remain in the township, and we must take an AED(not normally carried on our engine, despite it having other BLS equipment) as well as our combination extrication tool. We have to announce that we're on the air and leave immediately upon receipt of a call(naturally, we keep a portable on and with us at all times).
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely! The more the public sees us out and about, the better. Now that said, we try to switch it up a little between different stores/restaraunts/etc.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

MembersZone Subscriber

Perception:

1. Walk in through the front door.
    2. Wait your turn (no cutting in the line).
    3. No alcohol.
    4. PAY FOR YOUR FOOD!
    5. Leave through the front door.

Forum Member

We are allowed to sit and dine on a limited basis. Example: Bitheday, 20 year anniv. getting promoted things like that. The big thing we have to do is ask for the check and pay for our meal as soon as we order (if not paid when we order). We must take a chance on getting a run and have to leave a plate of paid for food on the table. We can not sit around after and talk for long period of time, eat and go. Must be professional of course
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

oh one more thing we can not park the engine in the fire lane at the front door we must park in the back of the lot out of the way.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WHAT?

We're not even supposed to take the rigs to the damn store. I can't go shopping without being called a thief and getting dirty looks. I couldn't imagine taking the engine to a restaurant and sitting down to eat. Our mayor has painted us to be thieves living off the taxpayers. God knows everyone around here believes everything the jerk puts in the paper. According to him we are the highest paid in the country, mind you, that we aren't even the highest in the state.

Forum Member

We do allow the people on duty to go out to eat at places. At one we have to watch where we park so as not to be "percieved" as eating at the lcoal pub. We do allow crews to leave the City borders near the eastside as another FD has a daytime on duty crew to eat lunch and know other people. I know of a place in the county where I do work that does not allow its medics (who are on for a 24 hour shft) to eat in anywhere, and all food must be gotten to go. I personally dont see what the deal is as long as you behave and dont spend all day in the place.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We are allowed to sit down and eat, also. We are to the east of Weruj and sometimes meet with their daytime crew as he stated. Some Chiefs get real picky about it. The one FD that Weruj referenced has to get everything take-out, yet their chief eats in the same place at least for breakfast every day and usually for lunch also...... Yet he won't let his FFs/Medics do it......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I've never eaten in a sit down restaurant while on duty. First, most of the run districts I worked did not have a place where I would want to eat. Second, we would have to leave someone with the rig so that it wouldn't get stripped of equipment (anything made of brass would disappear the moment you turned your back). We would frequently stop and pick up carry-out on the way back from a call outside of our district, but that was only if I was on the engine. Our station policy was that we were not going to double-park the rig and block traffic just to get carry-out food. Besides, when you have the best firehouse cooks in the city, why would you ever want to eat out?

Forum Member

Originally posted by HM604OH
    Second, we would have to leave someone with the rig so that it wouldn't get stripped of equipment (anything made of brass would disappear the moment you turned your back).
    That's why we spec'd power locks on the rig that lock all of the compartment doors, also!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Power locks!!!

Now that there is funny.Effective, but funny.

Forum Member

Default Re: Power locks!!!

Originally posted by Rossco
    Now that there is funny.Effective, but funny.
    We did it mainly because we are out doing fire inspections and such all day and sometimes we will be away from the rig for a decent amount of time. Just to make sure that nobody tries to walk off with any of our equipment.
    IACOJ

Early Adopter

We are allowed to dine in at restaurants.

My city is a bedroom community and has very limited dining options. Outside of fast food, we only have three or four restaurants where we can dine in if we want. So, my shift is a lunch regular at one place in particular.

The benefits of this are great. We're out meeting the public. Many of the regular diners feel like they know their firefighters because they do! The public sees our dedication when we drop everything to respond. Also, the staff of the restaurant takes good care of us. They love us so much that we made them honorary members of Engine 1-C on St. Patty's Day.

See the second photo on the following page...
    http://www.maumellefire.com/photos/stpatricks.htm

Forum Member

As posted by HM60, as he would, we would have to leave the driver with the appliance to prevent "sticky finger syndrome" occurring when the local neer do wells saw the truck unattended. Plus, parking is a problem in the town where I work, so getting the thing in would be easy, getting it back out of the space would be quite another. Mainly we get takeaway food and park up somewhere if its quiet.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Perception:

1. Walk in through the front door.
    2. Wait your turn (no cutting in the line).
    3. No alcohol.
    4. PAY FOR YOUR FOOD!
    5. Leave through the front door.

BINGO

BTW, we are not permitted to "eat in" if we are in our district. However, if we are in someone elses district for training, we can "eat in" during luch break.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 05-11-2005 at 09:41 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Tradition

On duty firefighters should be eating firehouse cooked food inside the firehouse.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

On our duty weekends, most of if not the whole crew generally goes out to lunch after we're done with our station maintenance. Usually, the duty chief will join us too.

We generally stay within the city limits, though we'll occasionally go to some restaurants that are just outside (read across the street from) the city. We used to have a restaurant right next to the station, which was nice because we could leave the engines in the bay.

Since we have 15 people per crew, if everyone goes we can sometimes have 2 or even 3 engines plus the ambulance, utility and BC car. More often, its just 1 engine.

Finding street parking can be tricky, but there's some city-vehicle-only curbside parking in our downtown district that's close to several restaurants, so that works well.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

We go for the 50% off at Outback.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

NEVER, we can pick up food and leave but not sit down and eat. I think it looks bad on the department. A lot of citizens already think firefighters sit around all day especially with all of the new firefighter charges/accusations.

If you want to get out and meet the citizens do at at special events or smile and wave coming from the grocery store or while driving to the station from calls.

The citizens want to see you working not sitting down at Outback for example. They want to see that there tax dollars are at work.

We also can NEVER accept any type of deals or discounts on anything. It just not fair to the citizens in my opinion.

Forum Member

We can eat in, it's considered good for public perception, of course, following all the rules everybody else mentioned. We too, try to change up which businesses we patronize so as not to seem to favour one over the other. Most of the shops automatically pack up our stuff to be picked up later if we get a run in mid-meal. One bakery even stayed open late to make sure we got our sandwiches. Our community seems to appreciate seeing us out and about, and it gives us opportunity to chat with the citizens. I certainly don't think that the 30-45 mins a day we spend eating lunch gives anyone the impression that we're loafing. To the contrary, people seem to look at it as a break in our busy day. Of course we also make sure they see us training, doing station chores, helping with community events, and performing inspections.

Forum Member

Originally posted by BKDRAFT
    NEVER, we can pick up food and leave but not sit down and eat. I think it looks bad on the department. A lot of citizens already think firefighters sit around all day especially with all of the new firefighter charges/accusations.

If you want to get out and meet the citizens do at at special events or smile and wave coming from the grocery store or while driving to the station from calls.

The citizens want to see you working not sitting down at Outback for example. They want to see that there tax dollars are at work.

We also can NEVER accept any type of deals or discounts on anything. It just not fair to the citizens in my opinion.
    As long as Outback continues their discount for the Troops, I have no problem accepting it. It is not solicted, it is offered. And they give the discount for take out as well.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    As long as Outback continues their discount for the Troops, I have no problem accepting it. It is not solicted, it is offered. And they give the discount for take out as well.
    Accepting services for free is wrong. If a business owner decides to offer a discount, that is a business decision and it is up to him.

I know that there are alot of Stop 'n' Robs that will give coffee to anyone wearing a uniform...especially at night. They want those official vehicles parked in front of their stores.

Thread Information