Forum Member

Question hard to find a job being 20?

Well right now I am only a EMT-Basic, but I will be in the Recruit Academy in August at College Station, Tx (TEEX, Brayton Fire Academy). How hard do you think it would be to find a job only being 20 years old when you get out of the academy. I'm not gonna b.s. myself it seems kinda young to be working as a firefighter, but I know that it is what I am wanting to do the rest of my life. I am also wanting to get my Paramedic certification once I get on at a department to so I was wondering if any of you guys in the business would know if a dept. would hire a kid as young as me?

MembersZone Subscriber

You asked for an opinion, so you are going to get one. Why the heck are you talking like you are 12 years old. You are 20 for crying out loud, you are a man. You are more than old enough to get and maintain the job. Just don't do stupid stuff in your off time and show respect when you are in the firehouse or on the job. Just think, you get hired now and you will be 45 when you retire. How sweet is that?

Do you think everyone on the job started when they were 30. Hell no, we were all young and insecure once, but you need to bone up if you want to make it in the fire service.

I was a paramedic at age 20. I started in EMS when I was 18. If you keep viewing yourself as a kid, that will show and it may affect you negatively when you go test for these jobs. You will beat yourself up before you ever take the test.

Good Luck and charge on full steam ahead!!

Forum Member

Default Does Age Make a Man?

From another posting. Who's to say what will make a man of you? Case in point, my wife's grandfather:

He was born to a fairly privileged family. However, his father had lost and regained the family fortune at least once (Dad was a compulsive gambler) and things were not very stable.

He was 12 or so when his mother died in childbirth. The next year his dad found out he had terminal cancer. They had no other family, so his dad made arrangements with the housekeeper: she would recieve the house upon his death and in return she agreed to raise his two sons and daughter. The balance of assets would go to the children once they reached maturity.

After a year or two the housekeeper took the children to an orphanage and kept the house and assets. Who knows what became of her.

When my wife's grandfather was about 17, he left the orphanage and went to the Northwest to get work as a logger (This was in the depths of the Great Depression). Most of his earnings went into an account for his siblings.

By 21, he was flying a B-25 over China and Burma. The Flying Tigers jacket and silk "blood chit" he carried are still in the family.

After the war he came home, raised his own family, and led an ordinary life. He died last month at 82 after a long struggle with Parkinson's disease.

So you never know what life may hand you, or when...hopefully you can rise to the occasion.

The ones that "get it" by 18 or 19, you can pick out of a crowd.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Forum Member

Well guys I appreciate the advice, I think I made myself sound less confident in getting the job than I really am. I just wanted a opinion from someone that has been in the business for awhile and I appreciate it. I know I am a man now and that I can deffintly rise to the occasion whatever it may be.

Thread Information