Permanently Removed

Default College Degree in Fire Science

Hey all, next year I'll be graduating, so I'm going to the college down the road to get my degree in fire science. What classes are there to get this degree? If anyone knows I'd appreciate any kind of information and yes, I'll be getting more info in about 4 months about it so I just want to get a quick "glimpose" of what kind of courses it has to offer.

Stay Safe
    Keith

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

I don't know where you live, but Montgomery County Community College in Rockville, MD has a good 2 year program that will carry over to a 4 year degree at the University of Maryland. Check out www.fire-science.org . Additionally, the state of Maryland will reimburse 100% of your tuition if you are either a paid or volunteer FF or EMT in the state of Maryland. There are busy volunteer houses with a strong live in program very close to both MC and UM. Hope this helps out.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thumbs up

http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/firescience.html

Scroll down and you'll see the classes.
    Last edited by DianeC; 05-11-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Well i graduated with a Associates Degree in fire sciences, one thing that i would have done different is made sure that there were more hands on classes. Is there a need for strictly lecture classes, yes, but not 2 semesters of it firefighting is hands on, you need to understand incident comand but you get it drilled into your head by doing hands on classes. So just make sure that the classes are hands on for the most part.

Best of luck in the future
    Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just about finished

I had to put my college education on hold temporarily but I'm one course short of my Bachelor's in Municipal Fire Administration from State University of New York (Empire State College). It's part of the Open Learning program that has been around for many years. The FDNY firefighters were a part of the program in the 70's and it's progressed to include numerous college's and universities. My degree is a Business, Managment and Economics degree with the Fire major. 6 of my core courses were through the National Fire Academy and recognized with a certificate of completion also. The Open Learning programs are great for people who cannot attend classes traditionally. Check your region to see which schools participate in the Fire Service courses. Almost all schools have some sort of Open Learning program.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Empire State College is Distance Learning

And I believe you can do Corning as Distance. Corning has classes on site of the NYS Fire Academy

Forum Member

The college you're looking at should have a description of the program, and all of the classes that you need to take to get the degree. It all depends...

Thread Information