MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Prevention Grants

Does anyone know how many rounds of denial letters have gone out so far for the FP grants. I was told that the last round of denials will be sent on Friday May 13th. I have not yet recieved 1199s or a dear john letter. Still hoping.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The word I got was that all 1199s had been sent for the FP grants, so unfortunately I'd say it looks a little slim for you.

But kudos for applying. My forehead is flat from trying to convince the decisionmaker to let me apply. Obviously that didn't happen. Details.

Forum Member

Default Denials

So were all denials sent out on the 13th as posted earlier? I know that we have yet to receive one, but on the other hand did not recieve an 1199. When will this end?

MembersZone Subscriber

The departments I worked with on FP have not heard yet one way or the other yet, either. We've been checking about every other day...

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in the same position; no word either way. I've pretty much resigned myself to rejection and have moved on to make next year's better. If there IS any hope out there, I don't want to know about it at this point.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey? How did you FP meeting go? In regards to vamping the program and increasing FP? Good, I hope...

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Dixie,

Well ... I guess you could say I've been laying the ground work as the initial discussion wasn't received very well. I AM getting the Risk Assessment underway, thanks to you and BC. The program itself, well that remains to be seen. We should be going into the schools sometime in the next week to do our surveys so we have an idea for the younger ages. The over 65 group is going to be a little tougher I think. I sometimes wonder why I try and care so much since it feels like I'm the only one who does.

MembersZone Subscriber

For the 65 + group (and young children), you may want to form a Fire Prevention 'Task Force' - include members from the community (such as seniors, maybe retirees, pastors, teachers or principals) - like an Advisory Council. Assign them some tasks that can help you. Hopefully, you can appeal to them, and they can help with the "public relations" of trying to expand what you have now.

More than likely, if you can get more people from the community involved, not only your FFs, would put some pressure on your Board or Admin. to expand on the current program and utilize some of your ideas. Hopefully, you would be able to use some of your new volunteers from the Advisory Council or Task Force (whatever you called it) to help educate their peers and the community. They would probably also be enticed to help on the project. People like to be included. If you could get the ball rolling with that, have monthly breakfast or evening meetings, 45 mins or less, then assign them tasks to perfom. Surveys, PR, pamphlets, price checking items needed, finding community co-sponsors, etc.

Just think how impressive your narrative will be when you lay out all that has been accomplished in order to expand the FP. Then all you would need would be some Federal $ to help continue to expand!

Forum Member

Default DEAR John's Out Today

We just recieved our Dear John Letter this morning for our grant application.

Forum Member

Received our "Dear John" on Fire Prevention this A.M. also!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

Our DJ welcomed me this morning as well.

Forum Member

In the 3rd paragraph of the DJ did it say that "the panelists' scores indicate that your application was wholly lacking in addressing the evaluation criteria"?

Forum Member

I don't want to go home and check the mail now.

Forum Member

Just checked my mail and got ours too.

Ours said...

"The panelists' scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all elements. However, an area of improvement would have been to explain in more detail the cost benefit of the project."

Dunno how to make it any clearer!?!? If I did I would have done it the first time! They're just so, so helpful, aren't they?!
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Answers you seek, shortly will they come.

Oops, sorry, just caught the new Star Wars, got the Yoda-speak going on.

Stay tuned, it will be addressed shortly how to maximize bang for the buck.

Forum Member

Got mine today; and my reply was as such:

"The panelists evaluated your application based on the evaluation criteria that were outlined in the program guidance. The panelists' scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in these criteria. However, we received many proposals that centered on the use of educational props or wildland fire initiatives. The panelists did not rate your proposal as high as it rated other proposals that contained the same project."

I guess that basically is a nice way of saying I wrote a good grant, but it just wasn't a priority? I'm overall pleased with that response, to be honest. Is that weird?

Forum Member

I don't think it's weird...after I cooled of yesterday, went for a run and thought about it, I didn't mind too much what they said about ours. I was okay with it because it was the first one I wrote, and I really didn't expect that we would get it anyway... I mean of course I still don't agree with their opinion, LOL, but you'll have that.

Now, what does scare me is the fact that I also wrote our request for the big one, and I'm now hoping that I didn't make the same mistakes. It would have been nice to have known something before having to write another narrative. Jeeze, and almost a year to wait to hear something! I'm not that patient...I'm gonna have grey hair before I can legally drink...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

We're out as of Thursday, 5/20. Did anyone else have a regional project denied?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by AFD333
    We're out as of Thursday, 5/20. Did anyone else have a regional project denied?
    You received a Dear John for AFG Regional?

5/19 I received flush on FY04 Fire Prevention app (annoyed). No email regarding our AFG project or regional project.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I think he meant regional FP app, you could do those as well. I know a few that wanted to make a regional fire safety house for everyone in the county to use when needed.

Forum Member

Default Fire Safety House Manufacturers

On the note of fire safety houses does anyone know of any other suppliers besides Scotty and Surrey. I am trying to get multiple quotes to make everyone happy but I can't find any other manufacturers. I allready have my mind set on the Scotty model but they want several quotes. I've also noticed that that I never get the same answer twice regarding quotes and using a bidding process from anyone. I know departments that have simply gone out to the vendor of their choice and bought what they wanted. I'm not saying thats what I want to do but I am limited with vendors. Any input????

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The laws in most states require soliciting a minimum of 3 bids. Now if there are only 2 manufacturers, then you can't, so no problems. The FireACT regs are the same, and you're not bound to low bid by any means. So if Scotty can build what your specs say, then so be it. If it's Surrey, then so be it also. I know Scotty is in PA because that's where my old department was and that's who we bought it from. I haven't heard any complaints from Surrey customers either, both seem to make solid units.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional FP

BC is correct.

Due to our rural setting and low population, 7 departments located in 5 counties applied for a trailer and a color laser printer. The 7 dept. partnership was comprised of active members of our SFFMA district. None of us had the numbers to support a $70K project, but we felt that our combined numbers, which are heavily weighted with members of the "target groups" would. I have not felt good about the chances since seeing the $750K awards in the early rounds.

All comments, observations and advice welcome. Obviously, I need guidance for this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Part 2

Did anyone else see this? I based our application on our regional COG's assesment, which we felt was formal.

"We cannot provide you a detailed account of how your application was rated in the competitive process since reviews and other pre-decisional materials are only for internal official use. However, we can share with you generally the opinion that a panel of your fire service peers, who reviewed your application, had about the application's content. The panelists evaluated your application based on the evaluation criteria that were outlined in the program guidance. The panelists' scores indicate that your application was generally good and above average in all elements. However, an area of improvement would have been to explain in more detail whether the requested project(s) was based on a formal or informal risk assessment."
    Last edited by AFD333; 05-25-2005 at 02:14 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In the FP part they want more of a localized risk assessment, not unlike the one that ksmith31 (Kelly) was asking about. They want to see that your area has high populations of the risk groups (under 14, over 65), living in high risk housing (apts, nursing homes, assisted livings, govt housing, etc, etc). So considering the regional project, the regional assessment would have had to included all of those areas.

This may have very well been done by the COG, or even the involved departments, I can't say since I don't know the depth to which the COG did things.

Even if done, there may have been things mentioned in the application that would lead the reviewers to think that something else should be done that is of a higher priority than bringing in a fire safety house, like smoke detector or extinguisher training programs.

I have more to add, but then that would ruin the surprise of reading my next article installment on Project Development, and I know everyone here likes surprises.

Thread Information