+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 First ... 4567
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    The University of Illinois also did a very good study in the 1990's. I cant seem to find a link to the results. It was published in the trade magazines.

We had a copy of that in the firehouse a, can not seem to find it today. It was a good read, made me wonder why anyone would wear bunkers after reading that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know our job also has looked at the numbers...however remember the crack epidemic was still in full swing when they tabulated the numbers for the non-bunker gear so you had many members making repeated exposures to heat and fire in a single day.

Also I don't have the exact stats with me this second but the only burns this gear has really prevented was lower body minor burns for the most part (greatest percentage). Serious upper body and face burns have only been decreased by I think 10%.

However they have since them required more tools to be carried (7lbs rope bag and harness and more tools for certain positions, TIC camera and hydra ram) a heavier mask (45min cylinders) and then of course there is the old hood issue. Now imagine walking up 8,14 or whatever flights of stairs with all this...the heat build up is tremendous and has no where to go and the pants really put pressure on your legs as you climb the stairs.

So we are more encapsulated, carrying more wieght, working for longer periods with air, and having stresses put on our legs before even getting to the fire.

There are a number of us who feel the gear assignment should perhaps be more like Bostons where one could make the gear worn, position dependent. Ie: Roof and OV at least wouldn't have to wear the pants and perhaps we need to re-examine the 45 min clyinder thing. In many respects we feel we've gotten away from what the strenghts and requirements of each position and where and what they are required to do.

Honestly if it weren't for a lawsuit we probably wouldn't have the pants today. I wonder if perhaps improvements in coats, work-duty pants or 3/4 boot design would benefit us more than placing us in these borderline proximity suits.

Best of Luck to Chicago. I hope someone realizes change for change sake isn't good for anyone.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    Chicago .............I just found it interesting that this is still festering ...........while I prefer the bunkers but worn them both ...........was shocked that this is still an issue..next thing is my man from Memphis will be in here telling me to do a search !
    C'mon pal. I told you I was just yanking your chain a little. Pucker up so we can kiss and make up.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

FFFred, isn't there a strong possibility the OV position may also have to VES? I would think, under those conditions, the bunkers may be a good choice. Just thinking of the crap they could be crawling on. I definitely agree with roof not having them, the added mobility would be great.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    FFFred, isn't there a strong possibility the OV position may also have to VES? I would think, under those conditions, the bunkers may be a good choice. Just thinking of the crap they could be crawling on. I definitely agree with roof not having them, the added mobility would be great.
    The OVM is supposed to be a very mobile person. He is often operating off of aerial ladders Buckets or fire escapes and if he is VESing he is dashing in and out. The bunker gear combined with our new rope and 45 mintue cylinder along with the always necessary tools doesn't make anyone very mobile. It is taking away from the basics of the position.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

sorry about taking this on another tangeant.i have seen you guys say on several posts that leather boots are safer then the rubber boots. i would like to know why you believe this is true. i was always taught that leather has pores in it that allow gas and other flammable liquids to be absorbed into the material. and these liquids are commonly found at accidents. another issue i would like to remind everybody that uses the hip boots and long coats is this scenario.

so you get called to a house on fire. you are ordered to go around the side and go ventilate the 1st floor window. after you break the window you look in and see a small child hiding in the corner.you call command and let them know whats going on and they tell you to go through the window and get the kid. you swing one leg up and over and then you feel the floor like any other good firefighter. next thing you know the kid is laughing his *** off when the oh so important 1% of your body flops onto the floor. kinda hurts don't ya think? maybe if you had on bunkers the worst would be your gear would be cut a little bit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    so you get called to a house on fire. you are ordered to go around the side and go ventilate the 1st floor window. after you break the window you look in and see a small child hiding in the corner.you call command and let them know whats going on and they tell you to go through the window and get the kid. you swing one leg up and over and then you feel the floor like any other good firefighter. next thing you know the kid is laughing his *** off when the oh so important 1% of your body flops onto the floor. kinda hurts don't ya think? maybe if you had on bunkers the worst would be your gear would be cut a little bit.
    Would you care to research this and show us how common this occurance was for the decades this gear was in use and while numerous companies in my dept as well as countless others were going to multiple fires a tour. I'm sure there must be long list of guys on 3/4 disablitity because they now they effectively recieved a sexchange in this manner.

BTW...do you not take the few seconds to clean the window out so this won't occur? Has this ever occured to you?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I quess you would have that opinion if you never wore 3/4 boots. If you do your job and clear out the window you don't have glass on the sill.
    Bunkers or 3/4 are tools they both have advantages and disadvantages, again I would rather wear 3/4 boots, if some of the shoe fit bunkers were made in 3/4 style their would be no comparisson.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a
    C'mon pal. I told you I was just yanking your chain a little. Pucker up so we can kiss and make up.
    it is all GOOD !!!! I was just bustin back on ya ............really ........thats all !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 First ... 4567

Thread Information