Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Cab

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Open Cab

Lets imagine a perfect world, no NFPA, Osha or LODD.

Would you still perfer to ride in enclosed cabs or go open cab. This is supposed to be a fun topic.

depends on the weather! lol. if its freezing rain outside, obviously enclosed. but if its like it is outside today, open cab is nice as hell, although a lot of the enclosed cabs have a bunch of windows you can open so its not so bad. but i say it depends on the weather.

Default Re: Open Cab

Originally posted by CaptainS
    Lets imagine a perfect world, no NFPA, Osha or LODD.

Would you still perfer to ride in enclosed cabs or go open cab. This is supposed to be a fun topic.
    In the perfect world, there would be no fires, no crime, all the men could pose for Men's Health or Men's Fitness, all the women would look like models for Victoria's Secret, children would behave 24/7.....

oh yeah, a fun thread....

You live in upstate New York... let me ask you...

Would you rather stay warm and dry in an enclosed cab of freeze your arse in an open cab on a snowy day; get saturated in a thunderstorm or stay comfy and dry in an enclosed cab?

Until they make convertible fire appratus with the roof type found in the Mercedes SLK or Lexus SC430, make mine an enclosed cab!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Re: Re: Open Cab

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

In the perfect world, there would be no fires, no crime, all the men would be buff and toned, all the women would look like models for Victoria's Secret.....

oh yeah, a fun thread....

Would you rather stay warm and dry in an enclosed cab of freeze your arse in an open cab on a snowy day; get saturated in a thunderstorm or stay comfy and dry in an enclosed cab?

Until they make convertible fire appratus with the roof type found in the Mercedes SLK or Lexus SC430, make mine an enclosed cab!
    Until I am on the Honolulu Fire Department, make mine enclosed please. Although keeping one opencab in the fleet for parades and 4th of July stand bys would be fun.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

In a perfect world, everyone would take safety, training and other standards seriously...oh, never mind...we've had this argument a million times on these eforums...

Open cabs were all fun and games until, all of a sudden, it was 2AM, 14 degrees and snowing like crazy. Then things would get interesting. Or worse...until somebody rolls the thing over and there are crew members being ejected in all directions or smashed by whatever their restrained, but entirely unprotected, bodies happen to contact at 50 mph.

All things considered, I'll take a roof over my head, thank you very much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I am almost sorry I posted this

I am biased, I drive a jeep with no top or doors from March to November/December. Can take 2 hour rides when it is 32 or lower with out doors.

Default Re: Re: Re: Open Cab

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Until I am on the Honolulu Fire Department, make mine enclosed please. Although keeping one opencab in the fleet for parades and 4th of July stand bys would be fun.

When I was in Honolulu two years ago and at the Pierce plant in 1999, all I saw were closed cab apparatus for Honolulu!

They may have some old, reserve type, apparatus there, but I never saw any.

I came on with 98% open cab apparatus. I thought they were great and not until the 1970's was I in a company that had a closed cab ride.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Open Cab

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

When I was in Honolulu two years ago and at the Pierce plant in 1999, all I saw were closed cab apparatus for Honolulu!

They may have some old, reserve type, apparatus there, but I never saw any.

I came on with 98% open cab apparatus. I thought they were great and not until the 1970's was I in a company that had a closed cab ride.
    Yeah there is only one or tow open pieces left in Honolulu, but this was a dream sequence. It is the only place that I would want an open cab! Steady 84 degrees, sunny with just brief afternoon sunshowers......dang I miss the place!!!!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Cool MACK TIME!

Give me a open cab Mack in the spring and you have a happy firefighter.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

we actually had 2 open cabs in service still, but we just got rid of the one. but we still have an open cab inservice.

Default Me...

I have riden on an open cab Crown and it is no big deal.
    In fact, it sucked when it rained and if you need to change
    into your gear, there was less room and protection.

It really was no big deal.

i think it depends on the season , the summertime theres nothing like an open cab, in the winter screw the open cab give me heat !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I love the old topless engines, but I agree that it is just not practical in reality.

Now if I lived in sunny Southern California or Honolulu, and never had to work when it rained...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

you guys are talkin about completely open cabs? well then that changes everything, gimme an enclosed. the one i was talking about was half open half enclosed like this:

former FH.com member

All enclosed cab please, they are safer, you can talk to your crew and it gets freakin HOT down here!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation MACK Tower Ladders

I've always liked riding in the old open cab MACK tower ladders. Although it really depended on the season...winter is horible as the roof man or OVM, you never could get warm....summer nothing is better, out in the sun with a good view of all the girls. Has to be second only to the tillermans view!

FTM-PTB

I agree with the fickelness of the season ......we did have 2 open cabs here when I first got on and we knwo have 2 parital enclosures and 1 completely closed. I ultimatley enjoy being fully enclosed with the window down.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Fully open cabs never made any sense to me. I mean, we have always had rain, right?

When I started, we had a 54 ALF 100' tiller, fully open. An absolute blast, even in hot weather. But it rains A LOT here in Fla, and that was awful. You know your in trouble when there are wipers on both the inside and outside of the windshield.

But as far as a partial (open jumpseats) it depends on the weather yes, but also the rig itself. I really liked riding jumpseat in our retired 74 Ward LaFrance custom (just like E51 from emergency). The jumpseats were open, but deep enough to keep you dry. Still no fun in the middle of July though.

The only one we have left is an 84 Pierce Dash, which we dont run as an engine anymore. Very little protection from rain, even with a vinyl top. And the back side of the engine housing is an open grate that pumps hot air into the jumpseats. Handy in the winter but when the weather warms up...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information