Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chances of getting badge second time around

I was wondering what my chances are of getting my badge the second time around with a certain department. In October of last year, I was called for an oral interview with a local dept. Of the six people that they interviewed I was second in line. They sent me for a pysch test and I am currently in position number one. The list is up in June. They are re-testing this weekend for a new list. Since I am number one now and I don't expect someone to quit or retire in the next month. Are my chances very good in getting a badge within in this new list cycle?

Forum Member

Default First

Did you sign up for the new test?

MembersZone Subscriber

I did sign up for the next test, which is tomorrow May 14th.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you pass the Psych test?
    If you are the next to be hired and there are simply no openings it is not counted against you. In fact, if you present it correctly you can parlay it into the number one score in the next exam.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of Smoke Your Firefighter Interview and The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-year Plan
    www.smokeyourfirefighterinterv iew.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I did pass the psych exam. The only pre-employment step left is the medical exam, which I will not take until/if someone leaves the dept. before June 9, 2005.

You stated "if you present it correctly you can parlay it into the number one score in the next exam." Do you mean the next psych exam? How would I present it correctly? Thank you for all of your guidance. The badge is so close with this department that I don't want to do anything to mess it up this next time around.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Just putting this question back to the top of the list to hopefully get an answer to my question.

From what I understand he (Paul) meant that during the next testing process, you could really use the fact that you were number one on the last list to your advantage. Passing all tests, psych, BG, ect. is a big deal, but only if you do it all again this new cycle.
    If it's like you say and the only reason you didn't get on last time was that there were no more spots and the list expired shortly before any opened, having been ranked so high on such a recent list seems like a HUGE advantage to me. USE IT! If they ask "why you?" or "what qualifies you?" you should have plenty of good things to say.
    Just my opinion, I could be completely wrong.
    KC

P.S. Paul Lepore is always answering questions like yours at the firecareers.com website.
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Thread Information