Default volunteer / county arson team

I am a member af a 60+ member volunteer dept. and am researching starting partnership between our county's arson investigators ( VERY UNDERSTAFFED ) and our 5 rural departments.
    If any departments out there have anything like this set up we would really appreciate any advice , sog's , or any other help you could provide...

You can attach and email anything ( virus free please ) to hs738@sc.rr.com

Thanks.... 138

Forum Member

The question is would your guys be willing to go through the training? And how much is required at a minimum for the county's arson task force, investigation team whatever?

Forum Member

We have a county wide orginization for invests. Its made up of inspectors and investigators from all county departments. They also provide CEU's through seminars, and also pay for the county arson K-9 through membership dues.

As for SOG's, there really arent any. How it works is if an investigator needs help on a scene, he either Nex-Tels other investigators or asks county dispatch to page them out. The arson K-9 is requested through dispatch.

I joined well after it was set up, so I really cant help you with how to get it started. But it can be done and works very well.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

We would still respond as vol. Firefighters we would just relay any info to the investigator to help him prioritize
    which calls to respont to in what manner.
    It is a large county for 1 investigator.

And to answer the question, Yes we would send our candidates to all the appropriate classes through the criminal justice acadamy.

We would be sort of first responding for the arson investigator on a more official level.

Forum Member

Default Re: volunteer / county arson team

Originally posted by hsfd138
    I am a member af a 60+ member volunteer dept. and am researching starting partnership between our county's arson investigators ( VERY UNDERSTAFFED ) and our 5 rural departments.
    If any departments out there have anything like this set up we would really appreciate any advice , sog's , or any other help you could provide...

You can attach and email anything ( virus free please ) to hs738@sc.rr.com

Thanks.... 138
    Who is understaffed? Is it your department or the county investigators? We have a county task force that can be called on whenever the on-scene investigator deems assistance is necessary. This program was started back in the 70's and has been up and running since then.

I will try and get a copy of the task force guidelines and send them on. Since everyone is working understaffed it only seems to make sense to combine resources. Our task force has a utility vehicle and a trailer for use by the on-scene investigators. All member departments pay yearly due to keep the task force and vehicles up and running.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Thread Information