Forum Member

Originally posted by ChiefReason

Funny: I could have sworn it takes bigger government to administer all of the Democratic social programs.

And the other side is that social programs cost money.
    Both parties have done a good job of putting government on the public's "tab".
    CR
    And what part of the majorities of the House or Senate are controlled by democrats? And which party controls the White House?

All the years the Dems put forth social programs never even remotely cost anything like the fiscal disaster this administration's spending spree will end up causing.

Your democratic social program comment is nothing more than the usual AM right wing mantra that has no basis in fact and does nothing more than distract you from what is happening.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Default Read it and weep CR. Hoisted on your own petard.

The Cato Institute is neither Dem or GOP. It takes wacks at both sides.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Hey, big spenders
    By any measure, Republicans have grossly expanded the federal government

by Stephen Slivinski
    Director of budget studies at the Cato Institute.

For at least the past four years, the actions of the Republicans at the federal level have not reflected a political party that is at all interested in making government smaller. Ten years ago, Republicans stood on the principle that reducing the size of government was an end in itself. They pledged to eliminate entire Cabinet- level agencies. The first House budget passed in the wake of the historic electoral victory of 1994 zeroed-out the departments of Education, Energy, and Commerce. Over 200 federal programs were set to be terminated.

What's happened since then? Of the 101 largest programs that were initially killed by Republicans, all but 19 have risen from the dead. The combined budgets of these living dead programs have grown by 27 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars since 1995. More than half of that growth occurred in the last four years.

The budgets of George W. Bush's first term reversed whatever small budget gains were achieved by fiscal conservatives during the Clinton presidency. The size of the federal government has grown from 18.5 percent of GDP - where it was on the day Clinton left office - to 20.3 percent of GDP today. The 33 percent growth in the budget during Bush's first term is about as large as the growth of the budget during Bill Clinton's entire eight years in office.

In fact, during the past four years, President Bush has presided over the largest inflation-adjusted increase in spending since Lyndon B. Johnson - and that does not include the skyrocketing costs of the new Medicare drug benefit that the president loves to brag about.

Some argue that most of this spending is driven by increased defense expenditures required to fight the global war on terrorism and to fund military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is true that the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, made anti-terror spending a budget priority. Yet when you strip away spending on defense, homeland security and entitlement programs and adjust the rest for inflation Bush still ranks as the biggest spending president in 30 years - only Nixon is a bigger spender. Bush actually outspends Johnson by this criterion.

Bush's new budget does very little to change this situation. While it does include reductions in non-defense programs to make room for increases in defense spending - 154 domestic programs would either be eliminated or cut - Bush's budget knife does too little slicing in overall terms. The cuts and program terminations amount to a minuscule fraction of total federal spending: They equal only 0.3 percent of the overall budget. And not a single Cabinet- level agency will be smaller in real terms than it was at the beginning of Bush's first term. Every president of the past 40 years found at least one agency to cut during his administration.

Republicans were better at controlling spending when they didn't have control of the White House. Between 1995 and 2001, spending on non-defense programs did not grow as much as Clinton wanted, mainly as a result of Republican opposition. In total, the difference between President Clinton's non-defense budget requests and the final outcome for fiscal years 1996 to 2001 was minus $57 billion.

That's not the case under Bush. Instead of a Congress and White House battling to keep spending under control, Republicans are fighting over how fast government will expand. Congress sent to the president's desk budgets that cost a total of $91 billion more than he requested between 2001 and 2005. And Bush refused to veto any of those bills.

The Republicans seem to have decided to devote little energy to cutting government spending. They have already run out of excuses for why they haven't scaled back government. With a firmer grasp over control of Congress and a re-elected and confident president in the White House, Republicans have a golden opportunity to finally get government under control.

If they don't cut spending, it won't be because they can't. It will be because they don't want to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2005 The Orange County Register | Privacy policy | User agreement

MembersZone Subscriber

And I'm immediately right wing because my view differs from yours.
    Sorry; you can't pigeon hole my political philosophies into a simple, single and over used jargon.
    Being a realist doesn't necessarily link me a political party.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

I just can't figure out why sc has to try to turn every thread into a freaking Political Debate..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

When there gets to be too many trolls on any internet medium, then that sight / newsgroup / email list dies and becomes an abandoned (or at least, very unuseful and seldom visited)...filled with rats who like to eat on each other's carcasses place. misc.emerg-services comes to mind...alt.firefighters too.
    Trolls? We don't need no stinking Trolls.
    -------
    Don't confuse me with facts, because I actually do like to sound like an idiot.

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I just can't figure out why sc has to try to turn every thread into a freaking Political Debate..........
    Okay. I beg a thousand pardons. With all the bashing going on, we liberals are a bit skittish.

So in keeping with the light hearted mood intention of this thread, how about we start here.

I especially like the Seperation of Powers folks about midway down. Someone forgot to tell the guy in the middle it was 'blue' shirt day.
    Last edited by scfire86; 05-15-2005 at 08:18 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GimliOnFire
    ...filled with rats who like to eat on each other's carcasses place. misc.emerg-services comes to mind...alt.firefighters too.
    Check your home for fume leaks. And that aol link was dead when I tried it.

Forum Member

Odd, must be the way AOL does hyperlinks.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Trolls should do it.

Google "Trolls" -- it's the first hit today.

Check your home for fume leaks.

Sadly, I don't know if that's a lame attempt at sarcasm, or baiting by someone trying to elicit a lowest-common-demoninator response. Hopefully it's bad sarcasm...but you know, you see some of the people on congress, city councils, company board of directors, and union e-boards these days...and unfortunately, it's not that unusual to see baiting for baiting's sake.
    Trolls? We don't need no stinking Trolls.
    -------
    Don't confuse me with facts, because I actually do like to sound like an idiot.

Forum Member

A political debate wasnt the intent of this thread. But I will say that most rednecks I know (and we have a lot here in Fla) are VERY conservative in their politics.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Originally posted by GimliOnFire
    ...but you know, you see some of the people on congress, city councils, company board of directors, and union e-boards these days...
    Can't speak for the other bodies you mention. But our union e-board (IMO) is very respectful of the membership.

Sorry if yours isn't.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave1983
    A political debate wasnt the intent of this thread. But I will say that most rednecks I know (and we have a lot here in Fla) are VERY conservative in their politics.
    Of course they are. Neither they nor their ancestors were on the wrong side of segregation, slavery or any of the ills that liberals are blamed for trying to correct.

Forum Member

Angry and this was a FUNNY one ..........which just goes to say....

another thread going in the dumper for all the WRONG reasons .........JFC !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

sc........ Why don't you go start your own little Politics thread and keep all the crap in there????? Quit bringing it into all of these other threads and killing them!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt their ancestors flee the UK to get away from the religiious persecution and class segregation?
    Wait, it does appear that their ancestors were at the bad end of the stick.
    Really lets get back to the funny stuff instead of the political cr@p
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

sc........ Why don't you go start your own little Politics thread and keep all the crap in there?????
    And why don't you read the bottom line of your signature. This thread took a political bent Hwoods "a few good things". Why don't you hammer on him?

Forum Member

Originally posted by scfire86

And why don't you read the bottom line of your signature. This thread took a political bent Hwoods "a few good things". Why don't you hammer on him?
    Who's acting like a child???

Because Harve posted something that actually went along with this thread....... it was HUMOR!!!...... He's not trying to shove his political opinions down everybody's throat or bash someone because of their own political opinions.......
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Who's acting like a child???

Because Harve posted something that actually went along with this thread....... it was HUMOR!!!...... He's not trying to shove his political opinions down everybody's throat or bash someone because of their own political opinions.......

Sorry. I didn't see as very funny.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

This was a funny thread...................
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Jeez, Folks...................

It was meant to be HUMOR. However, if you have a problem with it, refer to the last item on the list. I've about had it up to here with those very, very, few who try to shove their views down everyone else's throat. I'll post my brand of HUMOR, and if the WebTeam disagrees, they'll let me know about it. They are, from past experience, quite tolerant of diverse views, but they WILL maintain Law and Order here. They've made that quite plain in the past, and I have heard from them a couple of times. Unlike some, I respect their right to run this board as they see fit, after all, they own it, not us. My Ignore list will be expanding by one at this time. I do have that right, as a member or whatever. My current ignore list is only three names long, so maybe I'm pretty tolerant myself. Let's get back to the party.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I thought your 1st post was funny, Harve!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Gee. Let's see.

If you refer to rednecks, Alabama & Mississippi usually pop into mind first, you agree? BTW, I guess I am a true blooded redneck! who knew?
    If anyone on here could be a true "meter" for offensive comments about rednecks, that would be a few of us "outsiders" from the south that enjoy visiting with the many friendly people that may live above the Mason-Dixon line.
    I could only be offended by being called a redneck by people with an intent to offend; otherwise, gee, let me have. I will probably give better examples..

Harve, funny, tooooooo funny. Thanks, sir, I needed a good laugh. If you have more, please send them to me.

To turn a post of this nature into anything POLITICAL is completely out of left field and to be honest, I can only believe that SH$Tstirring is the only intent.
    Lighten up, unless you see somebody like me (redneck) start raisin` cain, there should be absolutly no reason for ANYBODY to be offended.... Except for the mullet crack!
    (Naw, I don't sport one, but it does bring back high school memories )

Notice the humor in the above erratic post? Redneck cifered, and wroten. Lighten up guys, you'll live longer....

Flame away....I have my NFPA 70E flame retardant drawers on!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

No, Mississippi and Alabama don't come to mind, Anne Arundel County, Maryland comes to mind. Harve will understand.

Forum Member

I hate dumb rednecks and Illinois Nazi's.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Disillusioned Subscriber

I thought it was funny as hell, Harv.

quoted from spearsm: To turn a post of this nature into anything POLITICAL is completely out of left field and to be honest, I can only believe that SH$Tstirring is the only intent.
    Absolutely!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: This'n Be A Goodin' .........................

Originally posted by hwoods
    [B]I can think of a Few good things..............

3. There would be a National Beverage, made in Lynchburg Tenn.
    You mean there isn't?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information