MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Ambulance company stigma

I have completed my EMT-Basic coursework I am thinking about getting a job with an ambulance company and going part time with my current job, but I have heard that many fire departments look down on EMT's that work for ambulance companies and that there is a stigma attached to working for an ambulance company. Is there a stigma that exists that makes it more difficult for ambulance workers as they go through the hiring process with municipalities to become firefighters?
    Last edited by shantzap; 10-03-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Forum Member

Default Shhhhh.....

Silence is telling.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it depends on the fire department you are applying for and the ambulance company you are working for. I believe there are some private ambulance companies that provide excellent EMS sevices and their employees are great medics and emt's. But, if you get stuck with an ambulance company that is now for poor medical treatment or have the reputation of being cot fetchers, then I think you may be associated with the wrong crowd. I feel that any field ems experience is valuable. You are showing a commitment to the EMS field and as a result will better prepare yourself for a career in the fire service. I think your best option is to find a volunteer fire department that allows you to do ems, that way you will feel comfortable in both roles as an emt and as a ff.

Forum Member

I agree with COFF1126. Depends on the system, and animosity tends to go both ways. Unfortunately, true teamwork between private EMS and Fire seems to be a rare find.

Forum Member

Default Training ground

Can't speak to your area but here in Oregon we consider the private ambulance companies to be our training grounds... and they hate it. There turnover is much greater than ours... and we like to see folks come to us with training... in fact you must be a Paramedic for us to hire you. No fire degree required... we train on duty FF1 and 2 your first year here... and we have gone to a private / public transport system ... But we are still the primary provider we just have someone else transport the patient...
    Soooooo the answer will differ depending on where you are...

Forum Member

I'll say it once, so listen up..most private ambulances, and FD's don't get along, lots of jealousy, egos, and people talking BS. The best thing you can do, is do whatever job your doing with the utmost confidence in your skills and knowledge, keep your nose out of the BS, and do whatever you possibly can to try and get whatever departments you must work with, working together, even if we have to put our differences aside for one run....remember it's about the patient....not ego's.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Default FD vs EMS

Around where I work FD generally gets along with EMS (which is a contracted third-service private company). There are grumblings every now and then. For the most part we all know eachother and we're just as close as if we were in the firehouse along with them. The problems arise when a new firefighter gets hired, and says to himself "Ooh, I passed a test, I must be special" even though he's a probie, and decides the only one who wont bust his chops is a medic. We also have our problems when we hire a new EMT (we dont have a test- just a valid card and proof of lifting ability) who desperately wants to be a firefighter but cant get hired (or is a vollie on the outside that's jealous of the paid guys). So generally the new people butt heads, but the guys who have been around for a couple of years laugh about it over beers. Thats generalized of course- there are a lot of us- and there are some lovely old timers on both FD and EMS that ought to be thrown off the back of the truck.

Thread Information