Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber Diane E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    Posts
    1,103

    Exclamation Sprinklers limt damage to firehouse

    Surpised George hadn't picked this up (unless it got buried along the way the last few days)...

    Fire Breaks Out at Station 8

    CHARLOTTE - Just before 11:30 pm Friday night, a smoke alarm sounded in the apparatus bay of Charlotte Fire Station 8, located at 1201 The Plaza, alerting firefighters to a fire. While investigating the alarm, members discovered their own apparatus floor was filled with smoke. The captain of Engine 8 quickly contacted Fire Communications and notified them of the fire.

    Nearby fire companies were immediately dispatched and arrived to find heavy smoke conditions pouring out of the fire station, commonly known as the "Double Trouble," located near Central Avenue to protect the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood.

    The eight Charlotte firefighters who were on duty escaped unharmed and worked feverishly along side the arriving firefighters. Numerous hose lines were advanced into the station to stop the blaze, which destroyed Engine 8, one of two trucks housed at the fire station. Quick action by members of the Charlotte Fire Department kept the fire from reaching the main part of the fire station. Charlotte fire officials put damage estimates to the fire truck, equipment, and station at approximately $500K.

    A Charlotte Firefighter advances a hose line to extinguish the blaze that broke out at Fire Station 8.

    The 45-plus firefighters who responded worked throughout the night to clean and repair the damaged station as Charlotte fire investigators examined the destroyed fire truck, which has been in service since 1994. One firefighter was checked and treated for minor injuries and returned to duty. Both fire companies, Engine 8 and Engine 64, will remain in service as a reserve truck was delivered within hours to allow the Plaza-Midwood firefighters to remain at their watch. The Station 8 firefighters continue to respond to calls from their smoke stained fire station, and Saturday Engine 8 was on the second alarm response to an apartment fire in north Charlotte.

    Thanks to the fire station's sprinkler system, the major damage was held to the cab of Engine 8. Engine 64, which was less then 3 feet from the burning engine, sustained no physical damage and was able to start up and drive out on its own power. Additionally, the sprinklers kept the fire from spreading into the 57 year old building. While the apparatus bay suffered heat and smoke damage, the intense fire never spread anywhere else. Station 8 opened in 1948 and was extensively renovated in the mid 1990's.

    Charlotte fire investigators had Engine 8 towed to the City vehicle maintenance shop, to continue the origin and cause investigation on Monday. Investigators are looking at a preliminary cause that looks to be an accidental fire that started in the cab of the fire truck.

    Units Responding
    Engine 8 and 64 (firefighters) E1, E4, E6, E7, L1, R3, R10, BC1, BC4, DC7, DC11, Fire Investigation Task Force, Training Division, Logistics Division, and PIO

    For more information on this story, contact Public Information Officer, Captain Rob Brisley at 704-336-2094

    http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...+Station+8.htm
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)


  2. #2
    Forum Member firenresq77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    5,213

    Default

    Excellent Outcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Diane, I saw a different article that didn't mention sprinklers. Once again, the metro areas in the Southeast show they are light years ahead of the rest of the country in this kind of stuff.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Less than a week ago I had a debate (by email) with the mayor of a neighboring community/biggest insurance agent in the area over installing sprinklers in our rural station/community hall. He services our policy and wuestion is "what saving we could get on our insurance rates by installing a sprinkler system". Answer is none, according to him sprinklers cause more problems/damage than they solve. I'm positive he thought than one head going of means every head does/flood the structure. That sprinklers are an unreliable useless gimick. I sent him to http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/hfsc.html Probably was a waste of time. The video "Home Fire Timeline" is excellent. Same guy was/is uninterested in having/requiring installation of FIRE HYDRANTS on a planned rural water system coming into the area and our towns. Won't improve our ISO ratings, water supply is not relevant for a vol dept, ISO is not really that important. New 15" transmission main, no fire hydrants.

    In your state is there legislation/gov't regs that require insurance companies discount fire insurance if sprinklers are installed? Not the case in Iowa. As the major national base for insurance companies we are VERY insurance industry "friendly".

  5. #5
    Forum Member Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Sprinklers in a firehouse, what a concept. At least someone has a clue
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  6. #6
    Early Adopter cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Originally posted by neiowa
    He services our policy and wuestion is "what saving we could get on our insurance rates by installing a sprinkler system". Answer is none, according to him sprinklers cause more problems/damage than they solve.
    I would seek another insurance carrier... And your agent obviously has no clue as to what he's talking about. Even if you can't score a discount because of sprinklers, the insurance company should be a huge fan of them. Would they rather replace the entire structure because of a devestating fire or repair a small area because the sprinkler stopped the fire in the room of origin?

    Originally posted by neiowa
    Same guy was/is uninterested in having/requiring installation of FIRE HYDRANTS on a planned rural water system coming into the area and our towns. Won't improve our ISO ratings, water supply is not relevant for a vol dept, ISO is not really that important. New 15" transmission main, no fire hydrants.
    How does is a good water source NOT relevant for a fire department? How does this idiot think the fire department is supposed to put out fires? Magic powers? I can't imagine constructing a 15" water main and not including hydrants.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Originally posted by neiowa
    Less than a week ago I had a debate (by email) with the mayor of a neighboring community/biggest insurance agent in the area over installing sprinklers in our rural station/community hall. He services our policy and wuestion is "what saving we could get on our insurance rates by installing a sprinkler system". Answer is none, according to him sprinklers cause more problems/damage than they solve. I'm positive he thought than one head going of means every head does/flood the structure. That sprinklers are an unreliable useless gimick. I sent him to http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/hfsc.html Probably was a waste of time. The video "Home Fire Timeline" is excellent. Same guy was/is uninterested in having/requiring installation of FIRE HYDRANTS on a planned rural water system coming into the area and our towns. Won't improve our ISO ratings, water supply is not relevant for a vol dept, ISO is not really that important. New 15" transmission main, no fire hydrants.

    In your state is there legislation/gov't regs that require insurance companies discount fire insurance if sprinklers are installed? Not the case in Iowa. As the major national base for insurance companies we are VERY insurance industry "friendly".
    OK. Quick lesson. He works on commission. His commission is higher if your premiums are higher. He is a liar and a dishonest business man. I don't care what public position he holds.

    I agree. Find another insurance agent.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber Diane E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Tell your insurance guy to check out H.R. 1131 -- the Fire Sprinkler Incentive Act -- there are over 60 bipartisan co-sponsors since March, and many more to come.

    Sprinklers have been around since 1874 (or there-abouts), education is the key since people are mis-informed in how they work. And I am happy to say that my apartment complex has sprinklers.

    I agree with George -- find another agent.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

  9. #9
    Forum Member DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Diane, I saw a different article that didn't mention sprinklers. Once again, the metro areas in the Southeast show they are light years ahead of the rest of the country in this kind of stuff.
    The way the southeast has grown in the past 15-20 years, most of their buildings are MUCH younger then the rest of the nation's. They have had the advantage of building to safer codes rather then going through the expense and challage of retro-fits. It is their being behind the time line that allows them to be ahead in safety.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts