Thread: FDNY Residency

Forum Member

Default FDNY Residency

Has anyone ever been investigated in regards to their residency?

How do you go about proving residency?

What if you do not own, but are roomates with someone else?

I live with my cousin in Sheepshead Bay. How do I claim residency? Any info would help.

Forum Member

Default Residency

To the best of my knowledge you need to show them some sort of bill that is in your name at that address, i.e utilities, car payment, phone bill etc. Either way i'm sure they would find out. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think they ask for a copy of your lease as well.

I know one guy who was DQ'd off the list because he claimed city residency but was revealed later not to be.

He was a POS anyways. (It's been kind of funny too. I was hearing stories that he had claimed he was hired and moving even before our list was established. I've been putting a stop to those when I hear 'em.)

bam

Forum Member

Hey abcdefg, I suggest you get something put in your name there, NO CELL PHONES! They won't accept that. A cable bill eletric bill. I pay most of my bills online so i actually had to ask con ed to send a statement to me.
    (came within a week) Just keep in mind most other depts. are alot tougher than FDNY about requirements for a job. Some depts will actually come knock on your door to make sure you live where you say.

Forum Member

If you do not have utility bills in your name then you can get a notarized letter from the person that you live with stating your relationship, your address, the date that you moved there and submit it along with two utility bills in that person's name and you will be good to go. My cousin is a firefighter and he lives with his parents and that is what he had to do.

Forum Member

whats the deal with drivers licenses do you have to submit a copy of your DL. I am moving to the city shortly from PA but I have been wanting to hold off on the hassle of change my DL only b/c I dont even have my own car nor will I have one most likely in the city.

Forum Member

Originally posted by fdnyrules71
    whats the deal with drivers licenses do you have to submit a copy of your DL. I am moving to the city shortly from PA but I have been wanting to hold off on the hassle of change my DL only b/c I dont even have my own car nor will I have one most likely in the city.
    If you want a good way to show residency, and to avoid trouble later on, get it switched.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default residency

guys, I just completed my investigation, and I live with my sister in Manhattan...here's what I gave them that they accepted: cell phone bills (12 months worth), credit card statements (also 12 months) notorized letter from my sister. I had Con Ed bills but they are not in my name and my investigator said don't bother. It worked for me...good luck

Forum Member

hi Stseaver.where are you on the list? i am in 1600's and still waiting to be assigned an investigator.
    thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm 1165, I just got my letter last week, to be in the May 31 class...fyi, I was never assigned an investigator, and like I said those materials worked for residency...basically they told me if you're name isn't on it, forget it, and for bills like credit cards and phones they wanted 12 months from me

Forum Member

How far in advance of your class are you required to show residency? I ask because I live out of state and was not planning on making the move until something was certain.

Forum Member

Default Residency

To the best of my knowledge you must have residency by the time the list is established. Correct me if i'm wrong guy's.

Forum Member

Sorry, let me clarify that. I was refering to the NY state residency in the surrounding counties required for employment.

MembersZone Subscriber

If I remember correctly, you applied for residency credit at the written exam, and it was (I think) a year prior to that date. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Forum Member

I cannot imagine it being a year prior to the date of the written because most people probably would not even keep 12 months of reciepts before the written. They have no incentive to keep the bills.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah good point... It may have been FROM that date. I forget.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Forum Member

Regarding the notorized form and two utility bills, is that still valid for getting the five points on residency or only once your in the academy. Also if anyone knows the answer to the previous question regarding at what point do they want to see your bills (is it 12 months of bills before the written test or just once they get to you) that would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

....hmmm....
    I wanna say either the twelve prior to getting to you when you go in for background stuff....
    OR
    the twelve prior to when the list was established.....

bam

Forum Member

We took the written in Sept 2002. In March of 2003, they mailed you a sheet to fill out if you wanted to claim residency. The sheet stated you had to show proof of living in NYC between April 2003 and April 2004. Then our list was established in 2005. You have to claim residency before the list is established. Otherwise, how could they place you in order on a list, if they do not know who is claiming residency...

Forum Member

that sounds logical, because i'm sure guys have tried to jump up on the list by moving into the city after the list gets established. The only way to jump up on the list is to be in the service when the list gets established, in that case upon getting out they will give a half number. (1651.5)

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Actually.....

...if anyone's keeping score:
    We took the written December 02 and list was established May 04.

But tell me, what is this "and-a-half" you speak of?
    Anyone out there have one of those?

And finally, that "before the list was established" makes more sense for the twelve months prior stuff.

bam

Forum Member

I was in the navy at the end of the last list and upon discharge , i contacted dcas to have my name put on the list, my number put me between two guys on the list because it was long since established. And i got a number of 3615.5. I would have been in, but the cfr class i was supposed to get into was cancled at the last minute,because they stopped requireing it so there was lack of interest, so i just figured i'd wait because i knew my number on the current list would come fairly quick. The down side to that is that i used my veteran points on the current list

Forum Member

ffbam is absolutely correct. I stand corrected. The written was 12/02 (not 9/02 as I previously stated), and the list was established in 2004 (not 2005 like I typed). It seems so long ago, I get my years mixed up.

Thanks for the correction ffbam.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now I'm confused. My spot on the list is based on getting veteran's points, since I am still active duty in the Navy. However, I was assuming that I was going to lose those points and drop down the list when (if) they get to me because I haven't been living in NYC (I am stationed in San Diego). Chick 813, are you saying now that when I get discharged if I move to NYC I can retain those veteran's points? Thanks for any clarification. I am assuming that I will be out of the running...

Forum Member

You should call DCAS there is a gut there who deals in veteran issues like that. They will do everything possible to make sure you get a good deal. If your still active you won't get passed over. There is too many varaibles to really get into. So i'd say call down to DCAS not the FD headquaters and they will take care of you

Thread Information