MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Florida FF Job for a Paramedic? HELP??

I started a thread about a year ago and all of the info you sent me was great. This time I am asking for help. I have just moved to Cape Coral FL. and am now a NREMT-P. I will get my Florida card very soon. I have been a vol. Firefighter for 3 years and also carry a HazMatTec Cert, Public Safety Diver and CEVO Driver Cert. I am 23 and in good shape and will do anything to get on a Fire Department here in Fla. I cannot afford the time or money go to academy right now because it is five days a week.I also have to work to make ends meet. Are there any Cities that will hire a Certified Paramedic without his FF2 and put me through it? I do have fire expierence and know this is the carreer for me.

Thanks to all that read this thread and God Bless.

John Nichols

MembersZone Subscriber

Dude... look at where you are living... Lee County.... floridafirejobs.org (or Com, I forget) They run a test for like 12 depts in your area like 4 times a year... no fire cert needed.... most give pref to medic's....

hope that helped

MembersZone Subscriber

First, there are many part time academies at local colleges. I went to one at Brevard Comm College on the east coast. You go 2 nights a week, every Sat and some Sundays for 6 months.

As for departments that will hire you and send you to school, there are plenty. A lot of departments in the northern part of the state still have seperate systems. As for the central or southern part you have many options.

Lee County
    Rural Metro/Orlando
    Brevard County (will send medics to the academy)
    Indian River County(seperate system in process of merging)
    Okochobee County
    Martin County
    Miami Dade
    Flagler County
    There are tons of municipalites within all the counties that need medics bad and most are willing to arrange something to get medics on board.

Just have to do a lot of homework and networking.

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks to both of you!

Thanks guys!! I have applied and tested 2 times in Lee County and scored well but have not even got a call yet!!! I was told it is like a raffle. They draw names... I am not shure if this is true though.

Thanks guys!! I like all of the feedback!!!

John Nichols

Forum Member

Default Medic cert

Your best day is obtaining your medic certification. Although Florida is shifting to more acceptance of a national certification along with other fire related education and degrees having Florida certifications especially medic is a valued commodity. Things could make a dramatic change once your certified.

Test wherever you can now. Some departments will allow you to take a medic only test if youíre in medic school or your cert is eminent. Even if itís not a medic only test, medics or close to being a medic can have an advantage over non-medic candidates because of the demand and need.

If youíre on any existing lists once you have your certification, hand carry, donít mail, your certification to personnel to make sure itís placed in your file. One of our candidates did this. The fire HR person came from the back, reviewed his cert, placed it in his file and told him he would be considered in the next round of hiring. He was. Now wears the badge for San Jose California.

Learn how to take an interview. It could make the difference in gaining a badge or going badgeless.

While youíre waiting, gain as much medic street time as you can. There is only one thing harder than becoming a new firefighter. Thatís trying to become a new firefighter and a new medic at the same time. Because when you roll out on your first medic calls donít be surprised if they turn the calls over to you to see what you've got. You want to be able to make a good first impression during those calls or they will take them away from you. Not a good sign.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 05-14-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Thread Information