Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Stagecoach VFD Robbed!!!

Fire gear, airpacks stolen

Author: Susan K. Lamb, Democrat Managing Editor
    Publication Date: 2005-04-29

Imagine the surprise of volunteer firefighters when they returned to the Stagecoach Volunteer Fire Department March 17 and found most of the gear and air packs they use to protect them while fighting fires stolen.

Even more surprising may be that most of the gear was found April 22 in the city of Live Oak at a residence of a man who claims to be a Brevard County volunteer firefighter who originally reported the theft.

Jonathan Keith Peek, 19, 810 NE Hamilton Avenue, was arrested April 22 by Suwannee County Chief Deputy Ron Colvin and charged with burglary and grand theft. Colvin said Peek is the same man who called the Sheriff’s Office March 17 and told them he had seen two men in a white truck with a Georgia license plate loading up the gear and air packs at the station. When Colvin arrived, the door to the station was kicked in and the items, valued at $8,650, were gone. However, Peek was there and said he had returned to the station and looked for the men he had seen earlier but they were gone by that time, Colvin said.

An investigation followed but at about 1 p.m. April 22, an anonymous caller to Colvin told him that Peek was the one who had taken the gear and most of it was still at his residence. Colvin went to Peek’s residence and saw gear on the front and back porches. He called for Stagecoach Volunteer Fire Department Chief Tim Sweet, who came and identified the gear as some that had been taken.

When Peek returned home that day, he was arrested and transported to the Suwannee County Jail. His bond was set at $5,000. Peek was released after posting bond.

Susan K. Lamb may be reached by calling 1-386-362-1734 ext. 131 or by emailing susan.lamb@gaflnews.com.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

What a disgrace!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information