Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pro-83 Scanner

Default Pro-83 Scanner

Can someone tell me if the RadioShack Pro-83 Handheld Scanner is good for the money? I'm trying to buy a low budget handheld scanner, due to the fact that my department supplied pager is malfunctioning and they have no replacements for me at this time.

Thanks so much,
    Sam

Heres the link to the scanner itself-
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=20-501

Nevermind, this is a scanner, I'd need a pager set only to our dispatch. I think I get a new pager soon anyways.

Forum Member

What kind of pagers do you use?

If you really want a scanner, wait a couple months..

Some new "tone activated" ones will be on the market. You'll be able to set it to your tone, and it will only go off for that tone.

Hero,

I am pleased to see that you don't seem miffed at having a bad pager, you seem to understand that you are - for now - not a critical player in need of the best equipment. We were all there once.

I used to also carry a scanner, but the dept I was with at the time was flat out of working pagers. However, the dept had no juniors, and at 27 years old I was one of the regulars. Low budgets suck, lol.

A good cheap workable scanner is the 10 or 20 channel programmable handheld with whatever the flavor of the month model name/number is for sale at Radio Shack. Actually, you'll get a much better deal on eBay, as they are a dime a dozen.

I didn't know about the tone programmable scanners coming out. Actually that sounds kind of scary, I am thinking some potential scanner hounds who aren't willing to listen to all the radio traffic to come rubberneck the "good stuff" will find this an easier way to know when to irritate us.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

The yet-to-be-released Uniden BC-396T is going to include 2-Tone decode alert. Of course, it will also be 6,000 channels, P25, trunking this and that, blah blah blah. Basiclly, it will probably be the most advanced scanner ever made. It will probably also cost about $600.00.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah, Right...............

Originally posted by nmfire
    The yet-to-be-released Uniden BC-396T is going to include 2-Tone decode alert. Of course, it will also be 6,000 channels, P25, trunking this and that, blah blah blah. Basiclly, it will probably be the most advanced scanner ever made. It will probably also cost about $600.00.
    Can't we just go back to Single Channel radios in the Low Band (33-46Mhz), and blow the Siren when there's a Fire? And, while we're at it, can someone come up with a Vacuum Tube Radio? Those silly chip things are too hard to work on.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I use the Radio Shack Pro-94 to supplement my pager and it provides some real advantages. There are 3 volunteer companies in town and we have many who are members of more than one. All traffic is on the same frequency, so I can monitor what's going on with all depts at all times on both the pager and scanner. That way I can keep the pager in the charger by the door and pick up the calls on the scanner upstairs.

Another place where the scanner really comes in handy is in monitoring the PD frequency. We all use the same dispatch center, and the dispatchers almost always altert PD before sending out the tones. Catching it on the scanner allows me to pick up a minute to a minute and a half on a call. With a 4 minute ride to the FH it really makes a difference.

Originally posted by itmhq1

Another place where the scanner really comes in handy is in monitoring the PD frequency. We all use the same dispatch center, and the dispatchers almost always altert PD before sending out the tones. Catching it on the scanner allows me to pick up a minute to a minute and a half on a call. With a 4 minute ride to the FH it really makes a difference.
    I never thought of that, that's a great point. Wel, thanks for the info guys, I also have one other question, what exactly does "Trunked" refer to in terms of scanner frequencies?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Go back

Originally posted by hwoods
    Can't we just go back to Low Band and blow the Siren
    Go back?? Some of us have never left!

Originally posted by HeroOfTheDay

I never thought of that, that's a great point. Wel, thanks for the info guys, I also have one other question, what exactly does "Trunked" refer to in terms of scanner frequencies?
    http://www.tech-faq.com/trunking.shtml
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Thread Information