Forum Member

Default jr fire fighter and explorer

Whats the difference between a jr fire fighter and a explorer? What does a explorer get to do and what does a jr fire fighter get to do?

MembersZone Subscriber

Being an Explorer for approx. 5 1/2 years and now a paid firefighter in Colorado Springs, Colorado, I have talked to many Explorer posts. My best advise to you would be to contact those groups and ask them what they allow their members to do. In my post, which I now assist in teaching, we train our members in the full use of PPE including turnouts and SCBA in non-hazardous environments. We also teach them in the use of auto-extrication equipment, firefighting streams including handlines and master stream appliances, as well as teaching them the proper use of all fire extinguishers in a live fire atmosphere, with plenty of department members on hand. But the most important subject that we teach them is to become great leaders in the community no matter where their lives take them. Obviously we hope that they will find their way into the fire service and we provide them with as much information as we can in helping them achieve that goal some day. You can check out their web site by google searching Colorado Springs Fire Explorers. There is not a who lot of written information yet, the site is just getting going but there is plenty of pictures that pretty much speak for themselves. Another excelent group to look at would be the Orange County Fire Authority Explorer program in California.

well being a jr. ff i feel that explorers and jr.s are one and the same. the only thing that seperates them is the name and the orgnization that backs them. At deadwood we have a jr. program that ws going to be shut down. lack of insurance. Well the city funded us and the explorer post in lead has boy scout insurance.

Forum Member

Default the difference

an explorer is for the younger people interested in becoming a firefighter. They are usually around 14 or so. They pretty much just learn about the equipment and really cant do anything relating to a fire onscene. A junior firefighter is usually between the ages of 16 and 18 and has many more responsibilities. They go out on calls and assist in fires and emergency situations. The only restrictions are that they cannot enter a building or use hydraulic equipment except for when training.

Forum Member

Many departments that utilize a Junior Firefighter Program classify and title organizations diffrentley.

Explorers are generally an organized Boy-Scout Explorer Post. and a Junior or Cadet Firefighter Program is for the most part individual company based, run, and sponsered. - Ages variy from company to company also but the median age is 14 to 17 years of age. Job duties are mainly the same. No interior structure firefighting, no operation of rescue tools and / or saws - Basically if you're under 18 you assist the senior firefighters on the scene, at the station, etc... Some companies don't allow their Juniors, Cadets, or explorers to ride the equipment so again to each his own.

I started out back in the mid eighties as a Explorer EMT for my local rescue squad. We could join at 15 but couldn't be certified as EMTs and ride the street until we were 16. Since then I rose through the ranks and today I'm a Career Firefighter / EMT for 12 years.

It's been a pretty cool ride so far !!!

Forum Member

Being an explorer and Jr. FF is like night and day. Explorers have much more strict rules and usually cant run calls without chiefs discretion or extreme SOG's. Jr. FF is like the name. They are a member. They get a key, can go to the firehouse and respond to calls. They are treated as a way not only to encourage youth envolvement but also to get extra man power. This is why Jr.FF will usually be associated with smaller departments and exp posts with larger. Smaller depts need the help and larger departments and juniors dont work out. How do I know, I am both a JR. FF and an explorer, know 2 Jr. FF's well from a neighboring company as well as many explorers from my last exp post. At least thats the way it is around here.

They are the same thing, just different names.

Forum Member

S
    E
    A
    R
    C
    H

If you didnt read it SEARCH!!!

LOL The above posts were good I couldn't restrain myself.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

In CT they are pretty much the same no really big difference. The program is for ages 14-18. All members can go to calls have to be in full turnout. On scene 16 and older get to do more things. They can't go into the building however you can go to the front door to hand tools put a ladder up and use outside handlines. No junior is allowed to have a key however that is up to the each organization to put that into affect. Only 16 yrs and older and ride the appartus. Anyone under 16 can only ride the trucks for special detail i.e. parades, popcorn ball sunday. I have talked to other juniors from area towns and it seems to be the same all around. I have not come in contact with too many explorer posts but what I have gathered from talking to some is that they are set up the same way.
    Stay Safe
    Tom
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Thread Information