Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default low speed impact

This is in regards to the bus accident in missouri recently.
    What is your opinion on seat belts on busses?

Also here is a quote from some activist
    "Yeah, a child might get a slight bruise from a restraint system, but it's a lot better than making them a pinball in an accident like what we saw," said Dr. Alan Ross of the coalition.

Well, one of the first wrecks that I ran was a minivan vs a car. The impact speed was 30mph. The child in the rear seat died from massive abdominal injuries.

Cause? Because he only had a lap belt on!! Plus the distance from the child to the next seat was relativly the same in a bus. And the seat top was just alittle bit lower than those of the school buses. So that could possibly happen in a school bus.

My opinion is that if you are going to put in seat belts, Put in complete shoulder and lap belts. Not just lap belts.

Another gripe is that it costs aprox 1500 to retrofit a bus.
    For every 100 busses that is 15,000. And there are alot of districts in KS and MO. So where is the money going to come from? We dont have any as it is.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Whats the cost of human life?
    I am a big one for seat belts on buses.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Someone should thoroughly research this topic, if they haven't already. I do know that the fatality rate on school buses is pretty low. As a teacher, I ride them fairly often on field trips, and I've always been curious about this issue. I will say that all sides of the seats are extremely well padded compared to what they were like when I was a child.

The one problem I would see with putting in seatbelts is that the sizes of children vary so dramatically. The shoulder straps would have to adjust themselves to the anatomy of each child so that the strap wasn't riding on the child's neck.

Originally posted by kentbwj
    The one problem I would see with putting in seatbelts is that the sizes of children vary so dramatically. The shoulder straps would have to adjust themselves to the anatomy of each child so that the strap wasn't riding on the child's neck.
    From the few reports I've read, this is potentially a major factor in the debate about seat belts on school buses.

Seat belts are only effective if worn properly. When you load your family of four into their station wagon, you can insure that everyone is buckled up as they should be. A bus driver with 50 students of varying sizes and ages cannot.

You think getting them to fit properly is tough, HA! Try getting the kids to put them on in the first place! From the 11 years that I took a school bus to and from school, I am able to say with absolute certainty that it would be more of a challenge than anyone thinks.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Well, one of the first wrecks that I ran was a minivan vs a car. The impact speed was 30mph. The child in the rear seat died from massive abdominal injuries.

Cause? Because he only had a lap belt on!!
    Actually, there's a good chance that part of the cause was the lap belt being worn improperly
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Originally posted by nmfire
    You think getting them to fit properly is tough, HA! Try getting the kids to put them on in the first place! From the 11 years that I took a school bus to and from school, I am able to say with absolute certainty that it would be more of a challenge than anyone thinks.
    I'd have to agree there. I recently witnessed an accident involving a school bus and a light contruction vehicle. The school bus had turning into a cross lane of a major highway, whilst the contruction vehicle was not looking. Somehow the schoolbus was smashed into on the front left side, spinning the bus completely around,and tearing off nearly the entire front end of the bus. The constructon vehicle towing a utility trailer flipped completely over and skid at least 400ft. I believe the bus was off duty (Thank god) but if it were not, god knows what casualty's could have ensued. Frankly, kids will not wair the belts. I never did... granted I never rode the bus to school, but those seatbelts were horribly uncomfortable around the abdominal, especially when kids are pushing and shoving one another, roughousing along the ride.

Thread Information