Forum Member

Default E-Z PASS Lane ranting......

Folks, I need to vent here......Please excuse me while I get out the soapbox....

Many of us who commute regularly on Interstate Highways and across bridges with tolls have signed up for E-Z Pass. This is supposed to make life a little easier, by not having to carry cash at all times, not having to deal with long toll lines, and, most importantly in my mind (at least what I perceive to be the biggest advantage of E-Z pass) is the fact that you DONT HAVE TO STOP WHEN PAYING!

But, seems there are a lot of morons out there, that not only crawl through the E-Z Pass lane at 1/2 a mile per hour, they think that they have to come to a complete stop! When I am behind one of these morons, all I want to do is SCREEEEEEEEAAAAAMMMMMM!!! I pulled out my E-Z Pass paperwork the other day, from when I signed up, and it all clearly explains that you DO NOT have to stop. It clearly explains that you MAY maintain posted speed limits! (Most lanes are 10-15 MPH, unless it is an express lane, which is usually 55) WHY DO THESE MORONS HAVE TO STOP!!!! ARGGGGGGGGG!!!

But.....The biggest gripe I have of all.......

THE IDIOTIC MORONS WHO DO NOT HAVE E-Z PASS THAT TRY TO GO THROUGH....and suddenly realize "Whoops....this is one of them electronic doo-hicky lanes! I have to back up!"

Now, not only are all the E-Z Pass lanes CLEARLY marked with HUGE PURPLE SIGNS WITH YELLOW FLAHSING LIGHTS, but they also say "DO NOT BACK UP"!

Last month, a friend of mine was behind someone who wanted to back out of the E-Z Pass lane. Not only did the violator receive a ticket, but SO DID MY FRIEND, for backing up on an interstate. $110 bucks worth!

Last night, I was behind someone who tried to back up......NO WAY! I stood my ground. He just sat there, with his reverse lights on....I kept pointing to go through, he shook his head several times. When he tried to inch back a little bit, I just layed on my horn.....No way am I getting a ticket because some schmuck can't read. This guy got so ****ed, his face was about three shades of red brighter than my 4-Runner......He finally pulled through, and he allowed me to pass him....Showing me that I was number one! What a nice gentleman!

ok, I am done, I just needed to get that off my chest. So, if you have an E-Z Pass, read the directions....No stop needed....No slowing down to a snails pace needed.....

OFF SOAPBOX
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Luckily, my experiences with the EZ Pass lanes have been quite nice. I've used them a few times going back and forth to NC through NY/NJ/DL/VA and they kick ***. I really like the ones where you can go through at 65mph!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by nmfire
    Luckily, my experiences with the EZ Pass lanes have been quite nice. I've used them a few times going back and forth to NC through NY/NJ/DL/VA and they kick ***. I really like the ones where you can go through at 65mph!
    As far as I know, NJ is about the worst state for EZ Pass. The only highway that has an express EZ Pass that I am aware of is the AC Expressway. Other than that, it is down to 15 MPH in the one or two lanes that are open.

The bridges into PA on 78 and 80 are ridiculous too. I have never seen more than one EZ pass lane open.

Forum Member

I dont have any experiance with EZ-Pass, as I avoid toll roads if at all possible (I dont like paying twice for the same road). Toll roads are just another excuse for the state to get in my wallet.

But face it, the majority of todays drivers are morons.

One example, we have a little side street in front of our station. You wouldnt belive the number of people who, comming down the main road, stop at the side street. Problem is, theirs no figgin STOP sign!!! Not even a YIELD, but a couple dozen morons a day come to a complete stop

Somehow, we havent had an accident from it, yet...
    Last edited by Dave1983; 05-14-2005 at 12:15 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

George- I live about 2 miles from the Hellertown/bethlehem exit of I-78......next time you cruise by, stop by and we'll hoist a few. And tell that load brother of yours I say hello!

Banned

I agree with you 100% the lanes are clearly marked so I guess people are either stupid or dyslexic. If it heppened to me and i was in chicago there is no way I would sit there honking my horn at the other driver as it will most likely get you shot but in saying that not too many gang bangers use the interstate or leave their areas. As for people backing up that is the most dangerous thing anyone can do on these roads. We should start a crusade to get all the stupid drivers off the road
    Last edited by pengman; 05-14-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Forum Member

my dad put the EZ PASS in all our cars and I havent had any problems besides the once in a while idiot who doesnt have one and will try and go through...but other than that its been pretty smooth on the turnpike...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    George- I live about 2 miles from the Hellertown/bethlehem exit of I-78......next time you cruise by, stop by and we'll hoist a few. And tell that load brother of yours I say hello!
    I have two. Which one?

I'll be wearing that road out for the next five years. My daughter finally decided on James Madison U. in Harrisonburg, VA.

Forum Member

I was at a toll both in western ks a few months ago, Someone got rearended in that lane. The driver that hit the vech tried to use the defense but he was stoped when he wasnt suposto be stopped. Well keep you eyes on the road.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

I hate toll roads.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

There is an express lane on the NJ Turnpike, right around Newark. I thought the speed limit was 45 though. I have heard recently that NJ has been sending speeding tickets to some EZ Pass users. Apparently they are checking the time they got on the highway and the time they got off. They do the math and determine how fast you were going.

On another note about the Turnpike. Did you know that the departments that respond to accidents and fires on that very road have to use EZ Pass and the city is then billed? Ridiculous. I spoke to a Capt. on Newark Rescue 1 and he told me that a Trooper actually stopped them for not slowing down enough through the lane.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Surprisingly all around Houston is free on the toll roads for emergency vehicles at all times, not just emergencies.

I'm with Dave, they already got my tax dollars to build the things, not gonna dig in the pocket for them again. We've got one that will run right in front of the entrance to our development, all of the way to the inner loop of Houston. It will be $5 each direction from end to end. Luckily I'm out of the house early it wouldn't save me any time in the morning, and same thing with leaving the office in the afternoon. Not worth the extra money for where I travel.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

This is just great!!!!! they are bringing this to NH this year. Just another example of my tax dollars at work.

Forum Member

The stupid thing about the IL toll system is that they have ****ty roads, and I don't think the money from the tolls goes to fix the roads.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

I have heard recently that NJ has been sending speeding tickets to some EZ Pass users. Apparently they are checking the time they got on the highway and the time they got off. They do the math and determine how fast you were going.

On RT. 80 in ohio they do the same thing and actually have the time printed on when you get on and the time when you get off and if its not within a certain amount of time you get a speeding ticket...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by cfdeng3
    There is an express lane on the NJ Turnpike, right around Newark. I thought the speed limit was 45 though. I have heard recently that NJ has been sending speeding tickets to some EZ Pass users. Apparently they are checking the time they got on the highway and the time they got off. They do the math and determine how fast you were going.

On another note about the Turnpike. Did you know that the departments that respond to accidents and fires on that very road have to use EZ Pass and the city is then billed? Ridiculous. I spoke to a Capt. on Newark Rescue 1 and he told me that a Trooper actually stopped them for not slowing down enough through the lane.
    You're right, there is. I forgot about that one. Although it is up closer to the Meadowlands.

However, you must not know alot about NJ. They don't have two people working for government that could do that type of math. Seriously, if you understood the volume of cars that traverse those highways on a daily basis, it is absolutely impossible to do those types of calculations with the resources they have. If they were giving out those types of speeding tickets, I definitely would have recieved one by now.

To my knowledge, they do not issue traditional speeding tickets at all. They do issue administrative violation notices and fines if you speed through the toll booth.

As far as NFD, I'll check on that, but I don't think that is true. As far as I know there is a different color tag that is issued to administrative and emergency vehicles that regularly pass through the tolls. I know that a police vehicle used to be able to go to the manned booth on the way onto the Turnpike and request a "pink ticket". This ticket was filled out with the agency and vehicle reg. and handed to the toll booth on the way off. You wouldn't pay a fee.

BTW, if the NJSP stopped NFD R1 for that reason, I would've loved to have been there. I am certain it is a stop the Trooper won't soon forget.

Forum Member

George-

Which tour would have mooned the trooper out the back door of the rig first? First or Third Tour??

Forum Member

there are ones by exit 18, by the GWB or exit 17, somewhere over there. there is also one by the northern tip of the garden state parkway, near where it changes to the new york state thruway. and i heard a rumor they were going start sending speeding tickets, but that was only a rumor.

ok, that information is just wrong.

all emergency responders are issued ezpass units that all them access onto the turnpike (i think they are either orange or blue, instead of the standard white). the departments aren't charged for going onto the turnpike (I would imagine a similar system exists for the garden state parkway). the only time a department would recieve a bill is when they would speed through the toll booth and the ezpass didn't recognize. they then they might get a charge for not paying when traveling on the pike.

emergency vehicles that respond onto the turnpike also recieve a payment from the NJ transit for any and every emergency vehicles that respond to calls on the turnpike.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    George-

Which tour would have mooned the trooper out the back door of the rig first? First or Third Tour??
    No doubt. Third.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dude, you were completely getting your leg pulled apparently. The NFD has the special EZ Pass tags that allow them access to anywhere. The billing question is the opposite. The NFD apparently bills the Turnpike Authority for services rendered on the NJT.

As far as the Trooper, This apparently is bogus, too. My sources w/i the NFD have not heard of it. This DEFINITELY would have been a topic of conversation around the table, if past incidents are any guage.

MembersZone Subscriber

The EZ Pass on Rescue 1 is blue. I guess the officer just assumes the city gets billed and that is what he told me. There was someone else with me when he said they were stopped by a trooper. I am not making it up. I have pictures of a Trooper and the Rescue Captain nose to nose about them blocking a lane of the Turnpike while cutting someone out of a car. The trooper wanted to lock him up and the EMS officer and it wasn't until the Battalion Chief was called that things got settled.

MembersZone Subscriber

The stupid thing about the IL toll system is that they have ****ty roads, and I don't think the money from the tolls goes to fix the roads.
    That's crap!
    How much do you think it costs for a shovel to lean on these days?
    The Tollway Authority will tell you that every dime paid to the tollway system goes back into the system. And I believe that. They don't fix anything. They just buy more orange barriers with flashing amber lights. My guess is that the brother of the head of the tollway owns a construction equipment company. But that's another story.
    The topic here is idiots with drivers' licenses.
    And I'm happy to say that Illinois doesn't have any idiots on the roadways nor do we have any corruption in state government.
    It is Utopia here.
    Really.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

The EZ Pass on Rescue 1 is blue. I guess the officer just assumes the city gets billed and that is what he told me. There was someone else with me when he said they were stopped by a trooper. I am not making it up. I have pictures of a Trooper and the Rescue Captain nose to nose about them blocking a lane of the Turnpike while cutting someone out of a car. The trooper wanted to lock him up and the EMS officer and it wasn't until the Battalion Chief was called that things got settled.
    All I said was that if it happened, it would be fodder around the kitchen table and it is not. I knew about the incident and the tool job. That was real. That was different than what you initially wrote.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FDNY101TRUCK

On RT. 80 in ohio they do the same thing and actually have the time printed on when you get on and the time when you get off and if its not within a certain amount of time you get a speeding ticket...
    That's news to me and I only live a few miles from it.... I think you may have gotten your leg pulled, also.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I have been saying for years that half of the drivers on the road should have their licenses taken away. I think I have witnessed every instance that you guys mentioned on here. The intersection that our station is on is only a two way stop. And just like was mentioned earlier, a lot of times people stop when they don't have to. Then there are the people who think the other direction has a stop, and pull out in front of them. Fortunately there hasn't been a bad accident...

Also, cfdeng3, I wanna see that picture.

Thread Information