Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Polishing the chrome

Whatís everyone using to polish and protect your chrome? Our water absolutely sucks and we just canít keep up with its effects on the chrome. We have tried everything from distilled water to some four hundred dollar crap and we just canít seem to get those little spots out. Were getting into parade season and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Ron3427; 05-14-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Default The Search button is your friend.......

The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Talking

FLITZ IT!
    "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"

FF/EMT: Nimishillen Township FD
    EMT: AMR
    Fire/EMS/Police Dispatcher: CenCom
    Student: Stark State C.O.T.

Our water sucks too. Actually, its my shifts month to wax the rigs. I picked up a bottle of Mothers chrome polish yesterday. I used it on our reserve engine this morning and so far so good. Easy on/easy off and a real nice shine.

The rear spotlights were pretty bad, and I thought I was going to have to Never Dull them (lots of work). But this Mothers stuff worked quite well on them. Not as good as Never Dull, but an improvement and good enough for government work.

No idea how long it will last but I like it so far
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Tried the mothers and it helped a little but thereís still too many spots. Where can I pick up the ďNever DullĒ? The thing that really kills me is that the truck is a 2003 and already the chrome looks ten years old! We attempted to use CLR and it also helped a little but it made a white haze over the metals that werenít chrome (we didnít know at the time). Thanks for the help guys.

Never Dull is availabe in most hardware stores and home improvement centers here. Not sure about your neck of the woods.

If you dont know, its a polishing cloth that comes in a can and is soaked in cleaning solution, What you do is tear a piece off the roll and rub, rub and rub some more. It takes a while, as you can only do a small area at a time. But the results are fantstic. I havent found anything yet that works as well. Just make sure when its clean to your satisfaction, wax over it with a high quality car wax or polish. Its really just a cleaner and not a protectant.

Brasso will do the same, but it is a liquid and I just find the Never Dull cloth easier to use

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

Believe it or not, I have some. But anyway, the Never-Dull is made out of Cotton. It works really well.

Wenol works good too, it's available from Jegs ( www.jegs.com ) and Summit ( www.summitracing.com ). To remove rust, a ball of aluminum foil dipped in coke works well. Personally, I use mothers. I put it on with one drill buffer (low speed) then let it set, wipe it out with a rag, then use a dry buffer and buff it to a shine.

Originally posted by fightn15
    Believe it or not, I have some. But anyway, the Never-Dull is made out of Cotton. It works really well.
    Oh sure, just be picky. Cloth is made out of cotton, right?

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

working in a body shopi learned that all water sucks and bc that polish and wax beads water and dirt in the water will be traped on the chrome. so what it comes down to is having to clean it again, but if it is fresh you do not have to wash it again. what you need to do at that point is go by one of the car dusters that they have. those work great for that little fresh dirt. i used one when i use to show carsi n high school a few years back and that is the same one my stations use on are eng.

The best way to deal with it is try not to get the water spots to begin with. If you don't want the spots, after you wash it, dry it.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
    The best way to deal with it is try not to get the water spots to begin with. If you don't want the spots, after you wash it, dry it.
    *standing ovation*

Yup. And make sure the trucks are on a schedule to be waxed // don't use car wash that strips wax. This includes cleaning and waxing the shiny metal...

I will say, it would be quite hard to make people dry the trucks off after returning from calls in the rain at o-dark thirty on a paid/call department.
    Last edited by Resq14; 05-15-2005 at 11:31 AM.
    God Bless America! ē Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friendô ē Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

I thought this was an x-rated thread, oh well
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Yeah, good luck withthat Thats the problem we have here. Wash then drag a chamois over it once or twice. Missed a spot, oh well. Got to get back up to the Lay-z-Boy the games on

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

--------------------------------------------------------
    Quote by Dave1983:

Yeah, good luck withthat Thats the problem we have here. Wash then drag a chamois over it once or twice. Missed a spot, oh well. Got to get back up to the Lay-z-Boy the games on.

Dave,

I understand completely. I did not say that we dry the equipment every time it gets wet. We absolutely do not. But, I am not complaining about water spots either.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote by Dave1983:

Yeah, good luck withthat Thats the problem we have here. Wash then drag a chamois over it once or twice. Missed a spot, oh well. Got to get back up to the Lay-z-Boy the games on.

Dave,

I understand completely. I did not say that we dry the equipment every time it gets wet. We absolutely do not. But, I am not complaining about water spots either.

Yeah, more important things to worry about then a few spots

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Thread Information