Thread: structure boots

Forum Member

Default structure boots

does anyone polish their structure boots with regular boot polish

like kiwi or anything like that

Forum Member

i was wanting to know if it helps or henders preformance or if it even needs to be done.

Forum Member

I can't imagine it would make a differance, would it? I'd be interested to know any advantages polishing would have other then looking nice.

Forum Member

I HAVE HEARD IT MAY AID IN WATER PROOFING. BUT THE STRUCTURE BOOTS ARE ALREADY WATERPROOF.

MembersZone Subscriber

Use mink oil.

Forum Member

First I am hoping that you are talking about leather and not rubber boots. According to the manufacture of the leather boots we wear it is recommended that a good coat of polish be applied to the boots at least once a year. The boot should be clean and dry before the application. It is not uncommon for our members to apply the polish twice a year when all their gear is washed to manufactures specifications.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

If i remember correctly, the instructions with my boots stated to only wash them with a mild soapy solution. Nothing else. (Leather)
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Some people swear by their first born that polishing boots is good for them and it nourishes the boots and all that jazz, i just find that putting it over really scuffed parts is fine if the scuffed parts are bad enough that they lose their water prood ability.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

poslishing sure makes the boots look good but I had a bad go with polish on my leather boots. I polished them and about three months later the leather started to crack, (I only polished them once.) and after some time I had to replace my boots as they had crack very bad. I think the only solution is if you put polish on once you have to keep going fairly regularly or you may run in to this bind.

MembersZone Subscriber

Normal boot polish dries out leather & is not good for the boot. Lincoln wax is the best & its still not that good.

However, http://www.obenaufs.com/ is the best stuff for wildland fire fighters boots & I can't imagine it not being good for structure boots.

Take a serious look at the Heavy Duty LP.

I recommend and use mink oil and leather dye, no polish. Have had my leather warringtons since 1998 and no problems to date. The mink oil will nourish the leather and improve its water repellence and use leather dye on the white areas to return them to black color. There is a difference between leather dye and polish. Trust me, I learned leather boot care in the Army.

Thread Information