Thread: Survivor Tom

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Survivor Tom

Congratulations to Tom Westman, the FDNY Lt. who won Survivor tonight.

I usually don't watch the show but my wife is a big fan and I have been following it a little to see how he did.

I think he represented the fire service very well.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Thanks, just ruined it for me.
    Great to hear that he won.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Haven't watched it since the 2nd season........ But Congrats to Tom!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Pardon me sir, but we are all over here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...light=survivor

Glad to hear that Tom won. I knew he could do it.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Originally posted by Firefighter1219
    Pardon me sir, but we are all over here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...light=survivor

No, No........ This is a congratulatory thread...... It's different!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

CONGRATULATIONS, TOM!

Oh I'm sooooo glad I didn't see this earlier! I would have been so bummed out to find out ahead of time.

hehehe I was heading for the other thread to post my congrats but just happened to see this one first .... too funny!

Nice going, Tom! You played with integrity and honor, in my opinion. And yes, you did represent the fire service, especially FDNY, very well indeed.

Tomorrow there's going to be a very happy 7 year old girl, who has been cheering Tom on since the beginning, when she watches the tape and finds out who won

Watching the reunion part tomorrow.

ok this size thing is ****ing me f'n off!!
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 05-16-2005 at 02:20 AM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Congratulations Tom!!!!!!!!!!

I was rooting for Tom to win and he did!!!!
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Was there ever any doubt! Tom played an amazing game. Good job, congratulations! I wonder if he ever got to keep his sharks teeth???
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Didn't watch the show but I'm glad he won. Congratulations!
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Forum Member

I've watched every season of Survivor. This is the first time I've ever cared who won. Congrats to Tom; well deserved!!

Forum Member

He certainly made the rest of them look like a bunch of wusses. Good job
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Tom showed himself to be an all-around talented guy. I'm glad he won, too!

MembersZone Subscriber

All I can say is, I hope he's close enough to pension.

Wouldn't want to sacrifice a lifetime pension for a petty million (barely a nice house in New York), but wouldn't want to spend another 10 years as a millionaire firefighter either.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Disillusioned Subscriber

He's gonna have to buy a whole bunch of ice cream.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

He is going to make some fire department somewhere a very good chief.
    He could definitely play the game.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

FH.com article

FDNY Bravest Tom Westman Wins 'Survivor: Palau'

NEW YORK (AP) -- At 41, New York City firefighter Tom Westman scorched his competition on "Survivor: Palau" to become the oldest winner of the competitive reality show, taking home the $1 million prize.

''I played with intensity,'' the gray-haired Westman told The Associated Press in an interview following his win Sunday at the Ed Sullivan Theater. ''I didn't hold back and fly under the radar. I thought I might be able to do that, but they got the real Tom Westman out there.''

In a season of ''Survivor'' firsts, Westman stuck to his day-one alliance with dolphin trainer Ian Rosenberger and advertising executive Katie Gallagher, a radio ad saleswoman from Merced, Calif., who won $100,000 as the runner-up.

He led the Koror tribe to win every immunity challenge, a feat that's never happened in the past nine seasons of ''Survivor.''

''Somebody told me recently they stopped coloring their hair after I did so well on the challenges,'' Westman joked.

Westman, a father of three who lives in Sayville, N.Y., made no secret of his prowess, winning seven individual immunity challenges and staying out of hot water when it came time for players to vote each other off the island. He never received a vote against him.

''When I saw how young the cast was, I thought, 'This is gonna be perfect,''' Westman told the AP. ''They're not going to know I'm a physical threat until it's too late for them. I didn't get to play that game. I played it hard. I played it as myself. While some people think that may not be too bright strategically, it did work out for me.''

Westman is now $1 million richer and the owner of a new car. He said he plans to use the money toward college for his children and fixing up his house.

''I'm going to take care of my family,'' he said. ''We've now got that cushion that most middle-class families don't have. Everything is going to be a little easier, a little sweeter.''

The finale wasn't sweet for the three losers. Nanny Jenn Lyon lost during a tiebreaker challenge after Westman learned Rosenberger planned to double-cross him. Then, Rosenberger gave up during the final endurance immunity challenge, insisting Westman take Gallagher to the final two in a show of respect. During the final tribal council, runner-up Gallagher was called ''mean'' and ''lazy.''

Following Westman's win, host Jeff Probst announced the next location and title for the eleventh edition of the reality show: ''Survivor: Guatemala - The Maya Empire.'' Probst said the latest batch of survivors will live among Mayan ruins.

On the Net:

www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor10

IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Every time there was a challenge that involved obstacle courses, ropes or endurance I knew Tom was going to kick some butt .... and HE DID!!!

Kinda had me worried for a minute though, when he fell behind at the end of the final challenge, struggling a bit with those knots on the bag!

It was so cute, every week little missy would always ask "is Tom still in it?"

I've watched every season except #2 I think it was ... the Australian one.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default My brush with fame

Congratulations to the brother from Gotham. Of course I watched about 5 minutes of this seasons episodes. Here's an interseting tid bit. There is a bar in New Orleans called Lounge Lizards down on Decatur Street that I have been known to frequent on occasion. I was talking to one of the bartenders who has been there a few years. She casually mentions that she was on "Survivor" this season. She is a very nice person and kinda cute in that freaky tatooed/pierced way. So here's a shout out to you Angie... You didnt get voted out first!
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information