MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tanker dump valve

We are getting a new tanker with Newton electric controled dump at the rear. There is not room for an extended shut so we have a flip down. Is there any way to make the shut to flip down when the dump is activated whith out manualy doing it?

Forum Member

shut = chute ? huh what ? not sure ...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

My bad: CHUTE!

Forum Member

What about a spring loaded design?

When you flow water, I'd think the weight would be able to make the chute drop down enough to hit the drop tank, and then once the water is gone, the spring could return it back to it's normal position.

Or, if you have a little higher budget, a linear actuator could be the way to go. Simple to wire and install, even if you do it "in house". (Hehe. I love "Shade Tree" additions. )

If you have an onboard air compressor you could always have a two-way pneumatic setup with a switch for an electronically controlled valve in the cab.

Just some ideas.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

sklump...

When I used to to teach for the tech school in Fond du Lac I taught at an FD that solved your problem. They had dump extensions that were weighted in such a way that when water started to flow out the dump the extension would fold down and as soon as the water stopped it would fold back up all by itself. It reminded me of those birds that bob down to act like they are drinking out of a glass.

If I remember right the part of the extension that was closest to the dump chute extended past the bottom of the dump chute towards the truck and was weighted so when water wan't flowing it was heavy enough to keep the chute vertical. But when water flowed the water overcame that weight and laid the chut down flat. It was really quite ingenious. They also operated the dump valve itself by using electric trim motors from a boat. They built this in house.

If I can help more please let me know. If you pm me I would tell you the FD.

FyredUp

Forum Member

The Kidron Vol. Fire Department in Kidron, Ohio has exactly what you describe. Newton dump valves with mechanically operated shutes that are lowered to dump and raised back up when when the valve closes. Send me an e-mail and I'll get you a phone number of someone at Kidron who might be able to help you out.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

We have catilevered chutes on our tankers that work well. I can send some pics if you'll email me.

Scott
    www.gvfd.org

Thread Information