+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cpat

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cpat

What is a good CPAT time?

Thanks,

Mike

Forum Member

If you are talking about the IAFF/IAFC developed CPAT then it is anything under 10:20 cause it is a pass/fail test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am aware that 10:20 is the pass fail limit. What I am wondering is what is a "good" time? How fast are other guys completing the evolutions? The last test I took the proctor said that your time could factor into who was selected for interviews.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by CLEARVIEW82; 05-19-2005 at 04:45 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is running advised during the Hose Drag? Is it nessesary?

Running during hose drag:
    You may as well, "it is the only event where you are allowed to run".

BTW: Yes, I've heard (secondhand of course) that some departments have factored in the time to a candidate's score.

bam

Forum Member

8:29 was my best time. But like they say it is pass/fail.

If I was to suggest anything as far as training for your cpat, it would be to see if you could get maybe an old scba preferably a metal tank one or something like that to train with. your going to have 50 pounds on during your test and 75 on the stair stepper so anything you can wear on your back while trainig will help with leg strengh as well as balance. just my suggestions anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

My time was 8:10 and I was told it was one of the better scores but I do know someone that was in very good shape that scored 7:40.

MembersZone Subscriber

I finished in 7:21.

MembersZone Subscriber

We were instructed to walk during the hose drag at the CPAT facility I tested at. I don't know if the cpat time matters. I did get a job offer. Good luck!

THE WAY IT WAS EXPLAINED TO ME, THEY LIST YOU BY YOUR WRITTEN SCORE. THE CPAT IS P/F

Forum Member

Default The Process

It’s not uncommon for some agencies to have “scouts” to watch for those at their CPAT who are struggling going to the whip for a photo finish and those who breeze through. It would be hard pressed for an agency to turn someone down who had a passing time in this “pass/fail” event but you don’t always know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Just because you passed the physical agility doesn’t mean you are ready for the fire academy. Whether you agree or not, the CPAT or other physical agility is just a base line. Departments know this. The agility is certainly another part of the interview process. It can be hard getting this job. It can become difficult keeping it!

Often, candidates don’t realize that it’s not just strength in the physical agility. The “Nugget “ is technique, momentum and grip. I witnessed a 5’ 1” fire lad who was 119 pounds blow through the CPAT leaving the staff shaking their heads.

On game day, you need to pass the agility the first time out in order to and move onto the next step in the hiring process to gain your badge. The key is to be prepared before you show up!” The secret to passing the agility is to be in shape with a high cardiovascular fitness level and to know the proper techniques to make the cut.

The best hands on program I’ve seen to assist candidates to get ready for the CPAT is the Fire it Up Agility from Dr. Jen Milus. Candidates who have utilized this program have been not only able to pass but to lower their times, keep in shape injury free through the academy, probation and on into their career. You can find out more from her web site here: http://fireagility.com

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"
    www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-28-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Under 10 min 20 sec. is a good time. It is a pass fail test. if you pass it you did good. Chris

Thread Information