Forum Member

Default Ankle and wrist weights???

Should I use ankle weights or wrist weights while running, or any other aerobic exercise?What are the benefits?

Forum Member

Any added weight will increase the intensity. Also remember adding 1# to your feet is like adding 5# to your body. 5# ankle weights will simulate fire boots added weight.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've heard that adding weights to your ankles is bad for your knees.

Could be unconfortable, but that is what is gonna happen when your working out.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to be careful when adding ankle & wrist weights while you run. The reason is your mechanics. The weights will change your running mechanics which can lead to compensations throughout your body eventually leading to joint problems and strange pains. I would stay away from them while running; however, they can be a good source of adding weight to stair workouts or bodyweight exercises.

Also remember, if the weights are heavy enough to slow your movements, then you're teaching your body how to move slowly. Stay away from them while learning or practicing technique on new exercises. Once you've gained strength through the proper form in the new exercise, ankle & wrist weights will be great tools to challenge you.
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Forum Member

I have never used ankle weights for running, they were used in an aerobics class. And the step rate was only 120 bpm. But they could be used in stair climbing, not running, while wearing an athletic shoe to give you the feel of the weight of a fire boot. And Maxx thanks for the mention in the newsletter. I forwarded it to Chuck. Looks like my next time out will be in Corning,NY. But I may be in Myrtle Beach to help John MaGee of Fairfax FD celebrate his 65th birthday when he competes in the Combat Challenge there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the idea about the weight of the boot-awesome point!

There have been numerous posts about stair stepping, and it conjures up images of us all stepping up, up, and up but not DOWN! We all must be able to step down as effectively as stepping up! If it's a new exercise, start slowly with bodyweight and eventualy add the ankle weights. The easiest way is to get an 8" aerobic (or any) step. Keep both feet on top and step down with one foot. As you do, shift your bodyweight to the front foot (while the other stays on the step). Land softly and bend your knee and hips upon landing so your quads and hips absord the impact. You can tweak to make it harder or easier depending upon length and height of step. It will prevent knee pain and improve the ability to decelerate and change direction.
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Forum Member

If using a step bench, when you start to increase the intensity by increasing the height, your thigh should not be anymore than a 45 degree angle with 1 foot on the bench. This was something I learned when I was prepping for my AFAA group instructors certifacation.

Thread Information