Thread: Dispatch Shifts

MembersZone Subscriber

wow, im surprised so many do 8-12 hr shifts. our agency works the same schedule for dispatch as the medics, 24 on 48 off with a kelly day every 3 weeks. we always have the same crews ( unless a shift swap of course )

MembersZone Subscriber

We could never work 24hr shifts, we are always busy enough that you wouldn't be able to sleep at all.
    I'm guessing that you guys have slow times where you can get some sleep. How many people do you have on at a time? Do you dispatch only fire/ems?

MembersZone Subscriber

fire & ems only, only 1 dispatcher per shift. sometimes we get a chance to cat nap, sometimes not. thur. fri. sat night, forget it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think being up for 24hr like that would be a huge liability issue for your center. If something were to happen, and it could be traced back to the dispatcher making a mistake, you know the lawyers would have a hayday with that, and they would have your *ss. I know 12hr shifts have caused problems in litigation before because of fatigue. It's just not worth it, I think the level of service would suffer, and the chance of mistakes would be too high.

Forum Member

We work 24/72 same as the medics. No problems and you get just as much sleep as the medics do. We have 5 on a shift and are a consolidated dispatch center for the county. Stay safe!

Forum Member

Hey There.

I Work For An Ambulance Service, Where On The Weekends We All Pitch In And Work 12hr Shifts And It Works Out Great. Instead Of 2 Days Off A Week, We Get 3. Its Really Nice.

Forum Member

Eight hour shifts...07:00-15:00, 15:00-23:00, and 23:00-07:00.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Center I work at we work 4 12hr shifts, 2 days / 2 nights and 4 days off....it totally rocks..you end up with 6mos worth of weekends off.

Forum Member

Default 8 hour shifts

We work 8 hour shifts @ our dispatch center. Its the easy work 5 days straight then 2 days off. Most everybody hates it and we are trying to get it changed to either 10 or 12 hours shifts but our director is shooting down all the ideas that we come up with!!! Next stop is the union president!! The majority of us want to change because only a few people get weekends off!! Would be nice to get at least 1 weekend day off every other weekend!!

Forum Member

No problems at all, We just went to 12 hr shifts and they are great. We have a 12 hr shedule like this:

Week One Week Two
    Sun -12 Sun - Off
    Mon - off Mon - 12
    Tues -off Tues - 12
    Wed - 12 Wed - off
    Thur -12 Thurs - off
    Fri- off Fri, - 12
    Sat -off Sat - 12

One of the 12 are a 8hr shift so it doesnt cause over time. We have 7 positions and 7 people per shift. The 8 hr blocks are set at the slow times

Its a great set-up having every other weekend off, also it is set up in our contract that we can not work more than a 16hr shift and have to have 8hr before come back to work after a 16hr shift. We can go down to 5 people at certin times of the day so it doesnt cause to many people to have to work the 16hr shift. No issues that i can tell, if your union check with them they may have the answer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by savoy6
    We work the standard 5-2, 5-3, eight hour shifts 0600-1400,1400-2200,2200-0600. We were looking at going with a 10 or 12 hour shift, however we couldn't find a schedule that would maintain our min staffing of of 3 on 24hours a day we currently have 18 total dispatchers. So if anyone knows of a schedule fitting these numbers please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Are there anytimes you work with more than 3 a shift.
    I can give u one but it is hard with 18. I can make it work for a 12/28 person team let me know if you have any part time in the 18

Forum Member

12 hour shifts, shift change 0900 and 2100.
    rotation is: work 3 days, off 2 days, work 2 days, off 3 days, work 2 days off 2 days. Then start the rotation all over again.
    For May, 06, "A" shift is working the following days in May: 1,4,5,9,10,13,14,15,18,19,23,24,27,28,29.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our dispatch center has 6 fulltime dispatchers. We have (2) fulltime dispatchers working 7a-7p and (1) fulltime dispatcher working 7p-7a with a parttime dispatcher working 7p-11p, then the fulltime dispatcher is alone till 7a. So were working (3) fulltime dispatchers and (1) parttime dispatcher daily. I love my shift I have which is 7a-7p for example here is my schedule for 2 weeks starting on Monday 4/24

Monday - Off
    Tuesday- Off
    Wednesday - 7a-7p
    Thursday - 7a-7p
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - Off
    Sunday - Off
    Monday - 7a-7p
    Tuesday - 7a-7p
    Wednesday - Off
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - 7a-7p
    Saturday - 7a-7p
    Sunday - 7a-7p

It would be better with few more employee's but were making it ok with what we have right now. We have a few of our fire/medics that like to work in dispatch for EDP as well.
    Last edited by ScottSCPFD; 04-23-2006 at 01:49 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default All 12s

We work 12's here. Made the change from 8's about 3 years ago. Everyone love's it. As far as Labor Laws are concerned I haven't heard anything around here. I do know that we can not work anymore then 12 hr on shift without an 8 hr break.

We have 4 shifts with 4 dispatchers.

Schedule hours are 4 on/3 off, 3 on/4off. Works out to 84hr bi-weekly.
    Last edited by loxfire16; 04-25-2006 at 03:42 AM.
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Combined 12's and 8's

A majority of our dispatchers work combinations of 12 and 8 hour shifts. The reason for this is because management has noticed a shortage of dispatchers on the weekends (we have full and part time dispatchers). Our contact also states that we must work alternate weekends. So now most of us work midnight to noon and noon to midnight every other weekend. There are still some 8hr. dispatchers because they didn't vacate their shifts in order to get 12hr shifts.

The agreement is that all new hires will work 12hr. shifts and any 8hr. shift that is vacated will come back as a 12hr shift. I work 2 a week. Every other Saturday and Sunday and every Friday. The way my shift is designed is so I get consecutive days off each pay period. So my shift is like this...

Mon and Tues OFF
    Wed and Thurs 4 to 12
    Fri Noon to Midnight
    Sat and Sun OFF
    Mon and Tues 4 to 12
    Wed and Thurs OFF
    Fri, Sat and Sun Noon to midnight

It's a never ending loop....

The ability to swap shifts makes it sweeter. We have guys that will take an entire month off at a time, my Senior dispatcher takes off on all his weekends on from Memorial Day all the way into October., I usually take off 3 weeks at a time.
    Last edited by BUGGY5632; 05-29-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Forum Member

8 hour shifts but you have to leave 4 hours before or 4 hours open because you can be called in for that time to fill. Work 6 days 3 days off.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Does anyone have an example of a 10 hours work schedule? We need two persons on duty at all times, 24 hours a day. We currently work 8 hours and we would like to change

Forum Member

We currently work 10 hour shifts. pretty much puts 2 people on at all times. THe only time we dont have 2 people on is from 1am to 7am mon through friday, because the supervisor comes in, and from 1am to 9am sat and sun. Our shifts are overlapping, there are 4 different shifts, 0500-1500, 0900-1900, 1500-0100, and 1900-0500. Hope that is helpful to you big.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Thanks,

I will pass it on to the others

Forum Member

2 Days 2 Nights , 4 Days off - 12 hour shifts, 2nd day off is an on call day.

We will be amalgamating (sp) next year with another department and this will change to 10/14's but same shift rotation.

Forum Member

Talking 24 hr shifts

Our center is really wanting to go to 24's and was wondering if any one is on them now and has info on the pro's and con's and the schedule you are on and how you handle the breaks. Also how many dispatcher are on at one time. Thanks much

Forum Member

12 hour shifts, 48 hours one week, 36 hours the next. Switch from days to nights every 2 weeks the back days after another 2 weeks.
    example-
    mon-1800-0600
    tue-1800-0600
    wed-off
    thu-off
    Fri-1800-0600
    sat-1800-0600
    sun-1800-0600
    mon-off
    tue-off
    wed-1800-0600
    thu-1800-0600