Thread: Dispatch Shifts

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Dispatch Shifts

I am currently working for a PSAP that works 10 hour shifts due to our "Management" saying we can no longer work 12 hour shifts due to FLSA. Has anyone else heard this? What shifts are you all working and how is it working out?

MembersZone Subscriber

Never heard that FLSA prevents 12's. At the PD I currently dispatch for and a PD/FD/EMS I previously worked for we worked 10's because we requested them. The definite benefit is the overlap in shifts, but the downside is getting coverage if one of the people calls off or is scheduled on a vacation day, etc.

The FD I dispatch for is still on 8's and isn't looking for any change at this time because all the dispatchers are happy with it at this time.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Forum Member

Default What is FLSA?

What is FLSA?

We did almost the same thing about seven years ago. We went from 12 to 10 hours shifts after the South Dakota Labor Department came in and audited the department. They found the 12-hour shift had not been paid correctly. It was Christmas come early as checks for back payment of wages were handed out in the amount of thousands of dollars.

So the county being reactionary decided “12 hours…bad.” The management of our department took the 12-hour shift we loved so much away. We were able to talk the department in going to 10-hour shifts. We all hated them at first, but I doubt after seven years there would be anyone that would go back to them.

One of the biggest benefits is the over lap from one shift to the next. When the big calls are going down, there is someone at hand that has a clue to the events of the call. I will be to the first to say I was against 10-hours shifts because they did not ask me, but I love them and will fight to keep them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FLSA

Fair Labor Standards Act

Forum Member

Default SWITICHING FROM 8 HOUR SHIFTS TO 12 HOUR

Greetings,

We are switching to 12 hour shifts on the 28th from 8 hour shifts. We pretty much let management know we were all interested and they agreed to it.

We will have a short week and a long week - one week work 3 days with 4 off and the next week 4 on with 3 off.

This means we get 4 hours of OT every pay period which is nice, however, due to that we have lost our shift differentials.

We will also have more over lapping coverage which will be nice.

Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner

OSD122

Where in Virginia are you?

I know that Alexandria City Fire dispatchers work 12's.

This is from their web site.

Staffing for each shift is one supervisor and two dispatchers. The four shifts work two twelve-hour day shifts followed by two-twelve hour night shifts which are then followed by four days off. Official shift times are 08:00 a.m. to 08:00 p.m. for the day shift and 08:00 p.m. to 08:00 a.m. for the night shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quite a few years ago (about 15 or so) I was president of our bargaining unit when we were forced to change from a 6 on/3 off work week. The reason was the "Garcia Decision" by the US Supreme Court. It seems that this decision required employers to pay overtime for any time worked in excess of 40 hours in a calendar week. This decision excluded firefighters and sworn law enforcement.

As far as I know, 12-hour shifts are not prohibited, but working over 40 hours in a week should get overtime pay. (The scheduled mentioned of 3 on/4 off followed by 4 on/3 off should get 8 hours overtime pay due to working 48 hours in a week; the Garcia Decision did not allow averaging over the pay period.)

BTW, we work 8 hour shifts on a 5 on/2 off - 5 on/3 off schedule.
    Joe O'Keefe

Forum Member

The Police Force I work for came off 12 hour shifts two years ago, due the the introduction of a Working Time Directive, governing how many hours work v rest night workers should get.

We moved onto a 6 on 4 off pattern, which works quite well. 2 days (0700-1700) 2 lates (1400-0000) 2 nights (2200-0700).

There is plenty of rest between shifts, the nights are only 9 hours long and on busy night periods we have a two hour overlap when two shifts are on duty. The overlap on days (1400-1700) is used for training, which we never used to have time to do, or if you like, to take time owed and start later.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

8 hours shifts. They go like this. Tuesday thru Monday (7 days) 8a to 4p, off Tuesday and Wednesday and back Thursday. Work Thursday thru Saturday 4p to 12a. Off Sunday, back Monday. Work Monday thru Friday 12a to 8a. Then long break. Come back in Tuesday at 8a. So it's 7 days off 3, 3 evenings of 1, 5 midnights off 4. Swing shift sucks. After 9 years I still get heartburn on the midnights. Definately makes you age quicker.

Forum Member

we can bid a shift once a year based on seniorty.......then once you are on your shift you are on for 4 days and off 2 rotating just like that through the year..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

FLSA does not prohibit 12 hour shifts, they are lying to you.

Don't know if this is too late but I just started posting today so I will give my 2 cents. I work at a hospital and we dispatch our security guards and our air med helicopter. We have four different shifts (2 day and 2 night) and we have three people on both day and one night and on the other night we have two and three when a pt can work. Also Monday-Friday 8-5 we have a fourth person for back up and he does training. Our shift is as follows...in simple it's 2 on 2 off and every other weekend...in detail (for a two week period) it's work Monday and Tuesday off Wednesday and Thursday then work Friday-Sunday..then the next week it's off Monday and Tuesday work Wednesday and Thursday off Friday-Saturday. So one week you work 5 days and the next only 2. We work 12 hours shifts 0700-1900. We do not do swing shifts. But we can cover for any shift as long as we don't have to work the shift following...like if I was off on Thursday I couldn't cover the night shift due to having to come in Friday morning.
    Jami Snow
    Mount Airy Rescue Squad
    EMT-B

Justice-When you get what you deserve.
    Mercy-When you don't get what you deserve.
    Grace-When you get what you don't deserve.

Forum Member

I work for a county wide dispatch we work 10 hour shifts. they are 5am- 3pm, 9am-7pm, 3pm-1am, 7pm-5am. we have 10 dispatchers, 9 of which are on the rotation, the other is the coordinator who works 7 to 5 mon-fri. All shifts are covered pretty well with 2 dispatchers being on duty almost all the time excpet from 1am to 7am
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default Boomer

No you dont who you tryin to kid Boomer! LOL!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well starting August 7, things will be different than I posted back in May. We are starting the misearble 12 hour shifts. The shifts will be Sun, Mon, Tue, and every other Sat. 8a to 8p \ 8p to 8a ; or Wed, Thurs, Fri, and every other Sat. 8a to 8p or 8p to 8a. No rotation. I got the Wed, Thurs, Fri, every other Sat. 8a to 8p. These 12's are going to suck. Most of the time I hate being here for 8 hours.

MembersZone Subscriber

we also are changing from what i previously posted.

as of August 1, we are changing to 4-10's. not sure how it's gonna work, but we'll give it a chance. we still have plenty of open shifts but then again that means plenty of overtime for me.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Forum Member

Working on the river is 12 hour shifts,dispatching a cab company is 12 hours being a volunteer FF has no set hours.
    The Coast Guard is trying to get the river industry away from 12 hour watches,especially for the wheelhouse but the industry doesn't want to pay for an extra guy onboard so they can work 8 on 16 off or whatever combination comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim911

Forum Member

My county's E911 center works 12 hour shifts and all the OT needed.
    Working on the river is 12 hour shifts,dispatching a cab company is 12 hours being a volunteer FF has no set hours.
    The Coast Guard is trying to get the river industry away from 12 hour watches,especially for the wheelhouse but the industry doesn't want to pay for an extra guy onboard so they can work 8 on 16 off or whatever combination comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim911

Forum Member

I am not really sure on this one? To date I have not heard anything of the sort. In fact one agency I work for, we work 24 hour shifts there.

MembersZone Subscriber

You lost me emt116710.

Forum Member

IN RALEIGH, WE WORK A 12 HOUR SHIFT WITH A 1 HOUR OPTIONAL LUNCH BREAK (WE CAN ALWAYS TAKE THE HOUR OF OVERTIME IF WE WANT) ... AND WE DO A SCHEDULE WHERE WE WORK MON-THURS NIGHTS, OFF THE WEEKEND, COME IN MON-WED DAYSHIFT, OFF THURS, FRI-SUN NIGHT SHIFT, OFF MON-WED... AND COME IN THURS-SUN DAY SHIFT. WHEN WE COME IN ON MON OR FRI NIGHT WE HAVE A MEETING 1 HOUR BEFORE SHIFT AND OUR SHIFTS ARE ALWAYS FROM 630-630. HOWEVER WE ARE TRYING TO RESTRUCTURE CUSE OUR SCHEDULE ... SUCKS
    J.E. Guzman
    NC EMT-Intermediate
    NC Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Telecommunicator

MembersZone Subscriber

1 minute is not unacceptable. For a majority of medical/fire calls me make a skeleton incident, save it and dispatch it or have our partner dispatch it. Then we can go back to the caller and get more detailed information. The 1 minute time frame is a goal, and everyone understands that there are those calls that no matter what you do take a while to get dispatched. There are the callers who don't know where they are, the callers that want to tell you their life story before telling why they are calling that day, and various other reasons it will take longer. On the other side of the spectrum there are the easy calls that take less than 20 seconds to create, save and send to the pagers.

MembersZone Subscriber

At my dispatch center in WV we work 12 hour shifts. We used to do 10's but due to staffing shortages we went to 12's. Eventually we might shift back to 10's but the Director is going to put it to a vote amongst the dispatchers once we get enough staffing. A lot of us are really liking the 12's. We get every other weekend off. Pretty spiffy in my opinion.

Forum Member

we're on the modified dupont at this time... 4 nights, 3 off, 3 days 1 off, 3 nights 3 off, 4 days week off.... 12 hours all the time... but we're tryin to get a new schedule... we've got 4 shifts with 13 people each and another with 5, and we're understaffed lol
    J.E. Guzman
    NC EMT-Intermediate
    NC Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Telecommunicator

MembersZone Subscriber

We work the standard 5-2, 5-3, eight hour shifts 0600-1400,1400-2200,2200-0600. We were looking at going with a 10 or 12 hour shift, however we couldn't find a schedule that would maintain our min staffing of of 3 on 24hours a day we currently have 18 total dispatchers. So if anyone knows of a schedule fitting these numbers please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Thread Information