Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hanoi Jane won't show in Elizabethtown, KY

Here's to you, Ike Boutwell!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050517/...mo/banned_film

ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. - The owner of two Kentucky theaters has refused to show the new Jane Fonda film "Monster-in-Law" because of the activist role the actress took during the Vietnam War.

Ike Boutwell, who trained pilots during the Vietnam War, displayed pictures of Fonda clapping with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972 outside the Elizabethtown Movie Palace to show his disapproval. The marquee outside Showtime Cinemas in nearby Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."

Both theaters are just a few miles from the Army post of Fort Knox, south of Louisville.

"I think when people do something, they need to be held responsible for their actions," Boutwell said. "When you give the enemy aid, it makes the war last longer."

Fonda has apologized for being photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, but not for opposing the war.

"Monster-in-Law" raked in more than $23 million last weekend as the top-grossing movie across the country, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. and Nielsen EDI Inc. In the film, Fonda plays Jennifer Lopez's villainous prospective mother-in-law, trying to stop Lopez from marrying her son.

Sal Mancuso, an Elizabethtown resident, said he personally thanked Boutwell for not showing the film.

"I think Vietnam veterans appreciate this," said Mancuso, who fought in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam war. "There is no defense for what she did."

Boutwell also banned previous Jane Fonda films, as well as Michael Moore's film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

I dont support censorship but i sure as hell dont suport Jane or Moore either.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Its not censorship. The man owns the theater,
    he can choose what he wants to show.

Dennis, you're a harsh enforcer! I figured it might be in the other thread, but I thought more might see it if it had a thread of its very own.

And I agree that it's not censorship. It's choosing whose pockets or purse you line with your money and your customers' money, and whether you are comfortable with that. Just the same as Amnesty Int'l et al boycotting Sun City back in the '80s.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Censorship is done by the government or a corporation.

This is the owner of a shop not showing a movie. Probably happens all the time across the country, you can't show every piece of crap celluloid that Hollyweird spews out.

If people want to see it, they can go elsewhere. That is what is called a free market.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

If people want to see it, they can go elsewhere. That is what is called a free market.
    Sing it brother!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    Censorship is done by the government or a corporation.

This is the owner of a shop not showing a movie. Probably happens all the time across the country, you can't show every piece of crap celluloid that Hollyweird spews out.

This guy owns multiple theaters, I bet that he has incorporated his business, so does that make him a corporation that censors?
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    This guy owns multiple theaters, I bet that he has incorporated his business, so does that make him a corporation that censors?
    Not in the least. He made a conscious choice to not purchase or sell a product. If Joe's theater down the street wants to peddle her crap, then let them. Free market. If I can't buy Mobil 1 oil at Auto Zone, and I really want it, then I go to N.A.P.A.

Free market.

What I shall spell out now is what censorship by a corporation is: Telling it's employees what they may and may not read on its time, just as a government ould tell its citizens what they can and cannot read, hear, watch, or whatever.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

As was stated,the theater owner isn't censoring. Just deciding what product he wants to offer. It would be like saying Blockbuster,
    Wal-Mart or K-Mart is censoring the public for not offering adult videos.

Without restating the obvious of a business owner choosing what to show, the film Monster in Law is tops at the box office. It will of course get knocked off when the last Star Wars film opens tomorrow, but I would bet Jane could care less what a couple of folks in KY are doing.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Originally posted by len1582
    As was stated,the theater owner isn't censoring. Just deciding what product he wants to offer. It would be like saying Blockbuster,
    Wal-Mart or K-Mart is censoring the public for not offering adult videos.
    That is censorship too, just censorship that the vast majority agrees with. Same with keeping Playboy out of the public library periodicals section.
    -Big Russ

"He doth protest too much".

Okay all you Fonda haters out there. It's time to fess up. You all secretly have a hankering to show her the big hose.

Otherwise, why would you waste time reminding everyone how much you hate her?

If you're animous were truly what you say it is. You wouldn't give her a passing thought. Yet you never miss a beat in putting her latest exploits on this board.

If you're animous were truly what you say it is. You wouldn't give her a passing thought. Yet you never miss a beat in putting her latest exploits on this board.
    C'mon, SC; you should know by now that these guys get all shook up over ANY female who is smarter, stronger, richer, or more powerful than they are.

...you forgot to mention traitor, Nozz. That gets a few of us shaken up.

SC, instead of the hose I'd rather use a halligan.
    Have a good week end guys

I don't hate anyone. I despise her actions and am happy to remind her of such actions and what it did to the men and women that served and were serving in Viet Nam, all for her own selfish wants.

Personally, I think her latest "apology" is nothing but a ploy to sell more books, haven't bought it, won't buy it, won't even read it. Just as I won't see her movies or interviews.

Nor do I want to see any physical harm come to her, or relish in anyone causing her harm as is insinuated by many.

Noz, I am not shaken by any woman who is smarter, makes more money, stronger, or more powerful than me (except maybe my wife. )

I just want her reminded, as she seems to think it was no big deal to do what she did. While I may forgive, I will never forget.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 05-21-2005 at 08:54 PM.

Originally posted by len1582

SC, instead of the hose I'd rather use a halligan.
    Have a good week end guys
    She spent more time in VN than Bush or any of his advisers. They were all too busy running the other way.

To me, the fools who sent American troops there to die for no real reason at all were the true traitors, not some ditzy actress. The same goes for the fool who currently occupies the White House.
    She spent more time in VN than Bush or any of his advisers. They were all too busy running the other way.
    No doubt. Bush and all his buddies had a plan for getting out of Vietnam...too bad they don't have one for Iraq.

Originally posted by ThNozzleman

To me, the fools who sent American troops there to die for no real reason at all were the true traitors, not some ditzy actress.

I can't disagree with you there. I was never a fan of Kennedy or LBJ.
    She is ditzy, that doesn't exonerate her from being a traitor though.

Originally posted by scfire86

Are we still on this kick? The 1990's proved that military service is no prerequisite in selecting a president.
    It's quotes such as yours, as well as the attitudes that run with those quotes that are contributing to the division in this nation. You are awfully good at criticizing, yet you offer no change or advice for the future.

Thread Information