Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post Members with NO interest in the Fire service.

I am the explorer captain for a moderately busy suburban fire dept. We now have 15 explorers , but only about six with interest in the fire service. Only 2 want to move on to become career firefighters, including myself. I find it a little odd and was wondering if anyone had some thoughts to share. I understand its a youth organization and all, but I cant help but think that these explorers are a waste of gear. A lot of the non interest members actually all joined within the last 2 months. We haven't really done much but classrooms up until tomorrow when we will be doing the maksed maze. I wonder if it will cause anyone to quit.

Of course...we have kids here who just join so it looks good on their college apps...it happens what are you going to do. I dont see a problem with this unless they go to the house and do nothing then I wouldnt want them there.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Default Re: Members with NO interest in the Fire service.

Originally posted by 416417
    I am the explorer captain for a moderately busy suburban fire dept. We now have 15 explorers , but only about six with interest in the fire service. Only 2 want to move on to become career firefighters, including myself. I find it a little odd and was wondering if anyone had some thoughts to share. I understand its a youth organization and all, but I cant help but think that these explorers are a waste of gear. A lot of the non interest members actually all joined within the last 2 months. We haven't really done much but classrooms up until tomorrow when we will be doing the maksed maze. I wonder if it will cause anyone to quit.
    Does not having the ambition to move on to FD career mean an explorer isn't interested in the service? What about joining Volunteer Dept.'s? I'm on a VFF, and I couldn't be more interested in fire fighting as a whole. I don't know alot about the Explorer's program, but isn't explorers just training for kids who aren't old enough to join an actual dept.? I don't know many ambitious 16yr+ kids in the explorers program. Am I completely wrong here?

We haven't really done much but classrooms
    That wouldn't interest/excite me either. Nothing kills people's interest faster than not having them get involved. Even if it's menial skills, get them physically doing something - not sitting on their butts. Classroom time is fine, but you have to mix in some skills otherwise you will lose the people.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

"We now have 15 explorers , but only about six with interest in the fire service." Originally posted by myself, 417417.
    Pierce. I did state that very little have interst in being a career FF but I also said that very little have interest in the fire service. Meaning any type of service.

I agree with you bones. You are right. A lot of the explorers goof off or do not pay attention due to boring drills.

First off, I can't imagine why on earth they wouldn't have any interest!? Also, can you explain the explorers program a little to me? I understand that it's a division of the boy scouts, but can't an individual drop it if they really dont enjoy. have no interest in doing it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our post, which is through BSA has very little to do with scouting itself. Actually nothing really. It's insurance pretty much and it allows us to some activities that require BSA registration. We are also with a moderate sized fire department, which means we cannot "volunteer" when we turn 18. We can take the test when we are 20 though. There is a growing number of us that are around 18 and more and more are graduating and sticking around, taking fire classes etc. (Secondary education is required for BSA after high school to remain a member.) As far as members not being interested, we have some that aren't really interested in career or volunteer but want to check it out as an option. Personally, the explorer program has really spawned my interest in the fire service. When I started getting interested in firefighting I didn't know such a thing existed for a while and found out about it kind of by accident. It gave me a chance to really find out for sure that this is what I really want to do. Several years later, I am still hooked.

There have been a few that have come for a meeting or two and never come back. And fewer that were honest and realized that this wasn't their thing and said so. That may be just as important as people like me who have stuck with it. Imagine the waste if they took the test, got on, spent a few months or a year or two and wanted to do something else (or a whole career as one of those miserable mopes that you occasionally run into at one of the houses).

Forum Member

Talking DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to let you guys know that there are people out there who are EALLY interested. LIKE....I dunno....ME!!!! I have been an active junior for 1 year now. I honestly can't say there is anything I'd rather do with my time. We only have two traings a month and I'm trying to convince my captains we need more training. I plan to attend EMT classes (HOPEFULLY to be a first responder) when I turn 18 next year. Then during college I plan on attending FIRE SCHOOL. THEN Hopefully, I can become a full-time firefighter. But, I will ALWAYS have to stick to my volunteer dept. Well just thought I'd let you know that you guys aren't wasting your time!!! Oh ya did I mention that I am a chick?? (not that it matters)One of the 2 who also plan on doing the same thing. The third girl is planning to become an EMT which is close enough because we learn that at training too.

I also am a captain fo rmy post and i know exactly what you're going through. My only suggestion is to give your most active and interested ppl the better equipment an dgive the extra to the ppl who dont really care.

Personally I think the program is a way to weed out the ones who think they want to become a FF, but arent quite sure. My dept. is fairly busy but there are days when we dont get anything. And for newbies who are coming in thinking they are barely gonna have time to breathe and they sit around all day and dont get nothing, its a bummer. My posts' riding privlages were suspended after a FF died transporting a pt. to the hospital over a year ago, and just a few days ago was reinstated. And during that year I was the only Explorer going to the station to try and revive the program. I called every Explorer on the list and none came, so that was how our garden was weeded. So, I dont have a problem with people who arent interested that much in the fire service coming up. I just ask that they dont interfere with me trying to do my best and even if they arent interested that they dont get careless and hurt themselves and/or others.
    Anything Goes!

"I have no ambition in ths world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position in the eyes of some, may appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us, and stimulates us to do deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrafice." ---- Edward F. Crocker Cheif of Department FDNY 1899-1911

Thread Information