Disillusioned Subscriber

Default Nine dead in kid's sleepover

Thoughts and prayers all around in this situation
    CLEVELAND (AP) -- A fire broke out during a children's sleepover at a Cleveland house early Saturday, killing seven kids and two adults, the fire department said.

Eleven people were in the house in the eastern part of the city when the blaze started around 3 a.m., said Assistant Fire Chief Tim O'Toole. The victims were aged 4 to 34 and O'Toole said at least one of the children was at the house for a sleepover.

Firefighters said the mother of six of the dead children lived in the house, but it was unclear how the others were related. The fate of the mother was also unclear.

One of the house's occupants was being treated at a hospital Saturday, but the extent of the injuries wasn't known, O'Toole said. Another survivor didn't require hospital treatment.

Neighbors told a Cleveland television station they tried to help put out the fire but the flames were too strong.

An investigation into the fire centered on the first floor, which sustained heavy fire damage, O'Toole said. The second floor, where all the bodies were found, was also heavily damaged by smoke and soot.

"It obviously had a large volume of fire; it's certainly severely fire damaged," he said.

Much of the house's white wooden frame was charred jet black and the roof over the front porch was partially collapsed. Every visible window had been shattered.

As daylight broke, dozens of neighbors, family and friends gathered near the scene, hugging and crying as they surveyed the damage. Cleveland Mayor Jane Campbell came by to offer condolences.

Richard Carter told WKYC-TV that he lost his daughter and several grandchildren in the blaze.

"I just want somebody to pray for me and my family," he said through tears.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Thread Information