Thread: Powerful Video

Forum Member

Default Powerful Video

With grad season upon us I thought this video is very fitting. I watched it with chills up my spine. I will be showing it to my teen and I think teens all over should see this.

http://www.simpleplan.com/video.php

Click on the "Untitled" video link.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Thank you very much, Jenn!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Excellent video. Now if we could just get the kids to listen.......

This is a start.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

I think the same way Sharkie. I work for the local ambulance here and we do a PARTY program (Prevent Alcohol and Risk-Related Trauma in Youth) that outlines the perils of drinking and driving or speeding, etc. The kids see what happens from the time an accident occurs right down to when they end up in the morgue. They also see what happens if they don't die and have to live with a brain injury. It was funny because you had varying levels of reaction, fainting, nausea, the bravado that teen boys put on, shock, horror ...... but I'll guarantee that those kids took home a little something from those presentations. Will it prevent all of them from ever doing something stupid behind a wheel of a car, probably not, but if we affected even just one to the point that they will never drink and drive or behave irresponsibly behind the wheel then we've accomplished something.

I took my son to a similar presentation put on by the local PD. This one didn't have the tours or interactive stations but what it did have was a very graphic, REAL slide show of a young man who had an accident and died. It showed EVERYTHING done to him from the time he arrived in the trauma room until he was taken to the morgue. The ER doc who worked on this kid, and who created the slide show gave the monologue to accompany it. He was amazing, he had those kids on the edge of their seats. At the point where the catheter was to be inserted he stopped the slide show, asked the boys to hold up their pinkies and then told them to insert that in their penis'; that had an impact!! Again, if only one kid takes the message to heart and lives by it, something was accomplished.
    Last edited by PFire23; 05-22-2005 at 12:17 AM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Excellent video. Now if we could just get the kids to listen.......
    Its just not kids that drink and drive...I liked this video and it sends a very good messege of how you shouldnt drink and drive. I thought that when the two cars hit in the video how the whole family got thrown around their rooms that it was interesting.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

I think that was to show that a tragedy affects more than just the immediate people involved, it has far reaching consequences and affects the families of the victims as well. I think it has a tremendous impact.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you Pfire. I think this is an amazing video. I forwarded it to a friend in a neighboring department who does a lot of community outreach with teens and children. I'm sure it will be in his next presentation.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Mock accident

Very good video, Jenn. The hospital that I work part-time for has been doing mock DWI accidents for schools for about 10 years now. It always has a prom-time theme with actual students as the victims. A local garage donates two cars that were wrecked and we clean them out for hazards. The students are in prom attire (also donated) and we douse the scene in beer and chunky vegetable soup (makes great vomit) and then place the kids in the vehicles with their moulaged injuries and spray them with simulated blood. Then the rest of the student body is brought in to the stadium and are paraded past the vehicles while the "injured" are screaming. A pre-taped 911 call is made and fire/police/EMS units are dispatched in to the scene. The rest rens like a real MVA, extrication and all. Even a taped cell call to one of the victims mom who comes running into the scene later on. The offending DWI driver is field tested and arrested. Then the funeral home and coroner arrive, pronounce one victim deceased and the funeral home actually bags him up and puts him in the hearse and leaves the stadium. We even land the helicopter and simulate taking off with a critical patient.

Send me a PM if anybody needs info on how to do this in your area.
    Captain/EMT-P

Forum Member

Default Re: Mock accident

Originally posted by Rescue21D
    Very good video, Jenn. The hospital that I work part-time for has been doing mock DWI accidents for schools for about 10 years now. It always has a prom-time theme with actual students as the victims. A local garage donates two cars that were wrecked and we clean them out for hazards. The students are in prom attire (also donated) and we douse the scene in beer and chunky vegetable soup (makes great vomit) and then place the kids in the vehicles with their moulaged injuries and spray them with simulated blood. Then the rest of the student body is brought in to the stadium and are paraded past the vehicles while the "injured" are screaming. A pre-taped 911 call is made and fire/police/EMS units are dispatched in to the scene. The rest rens like a real MVA, extrication and all. Even a taped cell call to one of the victims mom who comes running into the scene later on. The offending DWI driver is field tested and arrested. Then the funeral home and coroner arrive, pronounce one victim deceased and the funeral home actually bags him up and puts him in the hearse and leaves the stadium. We even land the helicopter and simulate taking off with a critical patient.

Send me a PM if anybody needs info on how to do this in your area.
    We've been doing something very similar a few times in the past years. I remember the first time I was actually able to help, having joined the FD nearly a year earlier. I wasn't quite old enough to operate any of the tools, so I was stuck at back-up man on the hoseline....I felt ashamed in front of all of my friends, lol.....no offense to you nozzle-jockies or anything, but you can keep your noodle, I'll smash things...lol

Forum Member

Thumbs up

This was awsome Jenn. Thanks for sending it out to the group. Our department in conjunction with neighboring cities (fire and police) conduct a program called "Every 15 Minutes". We run this program every other year and have a positive response from the students. I believe that this is one of the best things that the school district has agreed to in some time. I have even noticed that the students are aware of the ramifications of drinking and driving. For the most part our DWI related injuries have taken a significant drop in the area.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Jenn GREAT video .........should be mandatory for all NEW drivers and for prom .........I too liked the mart of hte family going every which way when they colided.....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default another good video

I saw this the other day in a trench class cause someone was late. I don't know who made it, but it was just still photos and 2 911 calls about the train crash in Graniteville SC back in January 05. Though I must warn you that at the end their is a VERY, Very disturbing 911 call for help. What was so said about it is that the call lasted 5 or so minutes, and it ends with you listening to the man die from chlorine poisioning. But it is a very good training video.

Forum Member

Thank you Jenn.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Default Switchfoot - Meant to live, blasted over a good sound system

Back in college my class was part of a mock accident set up in a local arena, Meant to Live was played over the arena's speakers, while the FD cut a car apart and the people were pulled out. The extrication was also shown on a large screen above the fire trucks and ambulance they had in the arena.

I was lucky enough to be able to stand at center ice and watch the faces of the high school students up in the stands and you could tell by their faces that they were getting the point.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Jenn.

I have 17 yoa twins. Prom next week. Grad two weeks. Grad parties for weeks after.

If I could sing like that, they'd listen to me. This video will work.

Thread Information