MembersZone Subscriber

Default Microbolometer vs BST

I did a search of the forums for the advantages/disadvantages of microbolometer TIC's vs BST TIC's, but didn't find any results - I can't believe that this hasn't been discussed on here before?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Protective Economist

Default Re: Microbolometer vs BST

Originally posted by stillPSFB
    I did a search of the forums for the advantages/disadvantages of microbolometer TIC's vs BST TIC's, but didn't find any results - I can't believe that this hasn't been discussed on here before?
    I am a fan of the BST because it is easier, especially with a Thermal Throttle, to evaluate hotspots during overhaul. The biggest negative is size. Size and cost advantages generally go to microbolometer-based TIs.

Some of the articles I have written address this issue. Check out "Myths and Realities" as a starting point at:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con...splayYear=2003

It's a little dated, but should help you understand the basics.

The Bullard website, www.thermalimager.com, should also have a couple of articles and tips on selecting the right TI for your operations. I know you posted a question about how to choose.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi JB, many thanks for the reply.

My particular areas of interest for using TICs are more for interior attack, seach, and reading thermal layers/fire gases and compartment fire behaviour. I think some TIC engines are better at reading the sudden heating and development of smoke layers than others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey stillPSFB,

Its there, you just have to go back to the "good old days" to find it, some of the links to the older posts are below:

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=31476

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=31474

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=31524

Keep in mind some of these posts were made back in 1999, so some of the info still holds true, and in some cases things have changed. I find it interesting to go back and read these, looking at what was said 5-6 years, and then looking at where things actually stand today.

The debates were great, Handheld versus Helmet Mount, BST versus Microbolometer, etc.

If you change the viewing options at the bottom of the main topic screen, you can actually go back and view the very first posts that were made on thermal imaging, and work your way forward. There is a ton of information there, once again much of it is still relative, but be careful because some things are also “outdated”. If you have any specific questions on any of the info post them here or drop me an email.

If you have not already I would also check out the SAFE-IR site for some info:
    http://www.safe-ir.com/cameras3.htm

Good Luck, Stay Safe,
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

Protective Economist

Originally posted by stillPSFB
    I think some TIC engines are better at reading the sudden heating and development of smoke layers than others.
    I trust here you mean thermal layers, not smoke layers. All TI engines show thermal layers to an extent. The newest microbolometers are fair at it; BST is the best at it. However, the newest microbolometers have a much higher saturation point than a BST, so their pictures are clearer in extremely high-heat conditions.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firemanjb

I trust here you mean thermal layers, not smoke layers. All TI engines show thermal layers to an extent.
    DOH! (smacks side of head!) - that's what I meant!

The newest microbolometers are fair at it; BST is the best at it. However, the newest microbolometers have a much higher saturation point than a BST, so their pictures are clearer in extremely high-heat conditions.

Thanks for that, that was the info I was particularly after in the Microbolometer vs BST debate.

Thread Information