Thread: Bullard T3LT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bullard T3LT

Does anyone have any feedback on these yet? I couldn't find any information on the Bullard website about them. Maybe they are sold as a different model in the U.S.?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Protective Economist

Default Re: Bullard T3LT

Originally posted by stillPSFB
    Does anyone have any feedback on these yet? I couldn't find any information on the Bullard website about them. Maybe they are sold as a different model in the U.S.?
    I think Bullard is phasing that model out. It would still be supported, but they are not actively advertising it. Frankly, even if the cost is a little higher, you'll be happier with a T3MAX. The image quality is noticably better.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Bullard T3LT

Originally posted by firemanjb

I think Bullard is phasing that model out. It would still be supported, but they are not actively advertising it. Frankly, even if the cost is a little higher, you'll be happier with a T3MAX. The image quality is noticably better.
    LOL - GAAM have just done a big advertisement in one of the magazines down here introducing it as being the very latest and best - a sad indication of the Australian fire equipment scene. Is the T3MAX the same small palm size as the T3LT?

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Bullard T3LT

Is the T3MAX the same small palm size as the T3LT?
    Yes..nice camera. We went with the TI Commander due to the larger display, better resolution, and a deal we couldn't pass up.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are actually a number of “T3 Thermal Imagers” produced by Bullard.

T3 - the first TI (thermal imager) in this series was the T3. This TI was first produced about 5 years ago and had a production run that lasted for about 3 years. This camera was produced using the early Raytheon Amorphous Silicon Microbolometer based engine with a 160x120 FPA (Focal Plane Array). This TI was intended to be a very small, lightweight, and basic TI, that would primarily be used for Fire Attack and Search & Rescue applications. This was one of the first, if not the first, of the “small format” thermal imagers. This TI lacked any additional features like colorization, temp measurement, or manual gain control.

T3LT – this TI was an “improved version” of the original T3 that basically replaced the original T3. It had improved technology that primarily addressed things that were going on “behind the scenes” with the engine/detector. The improvements were not that drastic and some users would probably not have picked up on them if you held the 2 thermal imagers side-by-side. There were improvements in the temp operating range, and slight improvements in image quality.

T3MAX and T3XT – this was the “big leap” for the T3 series. These units feature a “new & improved” Raytheon/L3 Amorphous Silicon Microbolometer based engine with some major changes. These new units now have the features of their larger Vanadium Oxide based counterparts. They are now capable of displaying color and providing temp measurement. The T3MAX is the “top of the line model” and differs from the T3XT primarily by having a manual sensitivity/gain control, which is marketed as being similar to the “Thermal Throttle” offered on the BST based TI Series (TI, TIx, TI Commander). The T3XT replaced the T3LT, and is basically an “economy model” that lacks the Manual Gain Control feature that you will find on the T3MAX.

As always if you are looking to purchase one, just make sure you compare them all together in realistic conditions. For the most part I would guess your options to purchase a new T3 at this point will be either a T3XT or T3 MAX, but you may still find one of the other units being offered as a refurbished or demo unit.

Hope this clears things up, if you have an specific questions please post them here or drop me an email.

Good Luck, and Stay Safe,
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

Protective Economist

Default Re: Re: Re: Bullard T3LT

Is the T3MAX the same small palm size as the T3LT?
    All of the T3 imagers use the same housing, so weight and size are nearly identical. They even use the same battery system, wireless transmitter system, etc.

Mike's expanded comments on the differences between models are pretty accurate.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

many thanks Mike and JB. We are just starting to see a few T3LT's down here now.

Forum Member

stillpsfb,

If you still need some infor on the T3's let me know. I know someone here in Canada that sells them. They have an American Distributor I can put you in contact with.

Red

sl_tanner@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

DOes anyone have Tx3's in use or experience with them. I'm interested in the rpos and cons as we are about to field test them in hte next couple weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber

While I'm certainly not as well versed on these things as torichardson and jb, we run two of the T3 based cameras and one of the larger "chassis" units. No idea what standard that one is at now, as we recently sent it to Bullard to be overhauled and have a transmitter installed.

While I'm sure that the later versions of the T3 are better and better, we have an original T3 and I think a T3LT. Both came in after use as demos, refurbs, who knows and were priced very well. I'm still tickled a department our size has a camera on each front line engine.

JB probably knows better than I do what we have, but for 90% of what we do, I like the smaller units better. Then again, 90% of the time I've been using them to act as safety for recruits in a burn tower, and all of the units have offered enough resolution to see what wires to cut to get a freaked out newbie out of an entanglement prop...

Looking back at this, did I really offer anything meaningful? Our Bullard stuff has given us zero trouble, and the only thing we've managed to kill was a battery charger that was hosed down (don't ask) at one of our stations (not mine) while washing walls. They let the smoke out of that one.

I don't think you can go wrong with Bullard.

Thread Information