Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thread killer

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking thought for the day

The shortest distance between two lines is a straight point.

Forum Member

It would have to do with the two major factors. The number of people travelling to DC from where you are compared to the number of people going from where you are to georgia and the number of people going from georgia to DC.
    Secondly they have to make your life difficult somehow.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I'm coming back to Australia. It was so much simpler. I got on a plane on Friday night, fell asleep, woke up, had brreakfast and got off the plane on Sunday in Sydney. One plane, one seat, life should be so simple.

Forum Member

I go over to malaysia pretty often but i always have to catch two planes. One from Brisbane to Singapore then one from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. I dont normally mind because it gives me a nice little break to stretch my legs in Changi airport. However one time i had to run to my connectiong flight and they didnt have time to transfer my baggage from the first to the second plane. I got to KL and my luggage just never came out onto the baggage pick-upy thingy. I ended up having to wait around the customs area talking to security guards until one of them nicely allowed me to go outside to get some coffee.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Aren't Malaysian Customs procedures just "wonderful"? I spent 7 days in Singapore after our ship broke down (blew a DG-punched a cyl right through the block! ) trying to play "Travel Agent" for the crew. I spent 6 days at the Immigration Office trying to work out travel visas etc for about 175 crew to fly mostly either back home to Canada or our leave port in Austrialia. There were a few who were just doing local trips to KL or Thailand too. What a nightmare that was. Especially when the travel agent overbooked my flight, and I got bumped TWICE. But thats another story
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

What i hated was when i lived there i had to leave the country every six months i think it was for at least a day to renew my student visa.
    What i do like is that i dont have to organise a holiday visa when i am going over there. They just stamp my passport and let me in.

Forum Member

oh BTW, you were a naval man werent you?
    Im applying to join the RAN and i have my first interview day on wednesday. Any tips for interviews?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I'm a naval man... And a leg man... and a breast man..

That's me getting the liquor poured down my throat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SRFD905 - Serving since 1998

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

IACOJ BOD

Default Just for Rick.

THE Best Naval destroyer ever.

A hula hoop with a nail in it.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

You have the most warped sense of humour i have ever seen.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I'd have to say that after the events this weekend, it is apparent JerryGarcia has been de-throned .... and the Ultimate Thread Killer award goes to ........ the Spotted One, many-numbered Dal himself! LOL
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Tips for interviews? Just be yourself. Nothing more... nothing less. But I think that rule pretty much applies to any interview.

When I was recruiting for the army, the Air Force Capt that was conducting the interview said something like:

"You are about to make your final signature and take the Oath. However I need to make sure that you understand something. You do realize and understand that you are joining the armed forces and that we do sometimes get into combat conditions. With that said, you do realize and understand that you might be shot at, killed or wounded?"

I though, what a bizarre statement. Of course I know that. So after I looked at him real funny for a moment I told him that combat, and potentially dieing or being wounded were an intergral part of being in the army. Thats what soldiers train for. That was 19 years ago yesterday, 29 July 1987.

Today marks the last full day I had as a civilian, at home before boarding the Air Canada flight that eventually brings me to Washington DC.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Default Hi from the Newest Thread Killer

Hi all my name is Matthew and I wish to introduce myself as the newest thread killer on firehouse forums. I have killed more than half of the threads that I have posted on to this point... and for some reason I get the feeling that I will manage to kill this thread which has made it to 136 pages long. it was a nice thread and hopefully it wont die now but I have that deep feeling that this thread could be in big trouble. Well sorry in advance if I kill this thread I just had to get it out.

Matthew

Forum Member

I don't understand this interview process for the RAN.

Could you explain that, please?

IACOJ BOD

Simple really.

You sit on one side of a desk. An Officer sits on the other.

He asks you questions, you give him answers. He is assesing your ability to comunicate in a clear coherent language without drooling or gibbering like a lunatic.

They like people that can follow a simple sentence when they put them in charge of things that go "Bang".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    Simple really.

You sit on one side of a desk. An Officer sits on the other.

He asks you questions, you give him answers. He is assesing your ability to comunicate in a clear coherent language without drooling or gibbering like a lunatic.

They like people that can follow a simple sentence when they put them in charge of things that go "Bang".

Short, succinct and to the point. That has to be the best explanation of an interview I have ever read.

Matthew

Sorry, we can't let you come in here and kill our thread.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by LEWTFL
    I don't understand this interview process for the RAN.

Could you explain that, please?
    I think LEWTFL is just a bit thrown by R-A-N--in our part of the world we have a very big island. It is known as Awestruckingfailure, they have lots of blue shiny stuff called sea around this island--the people that charge around on this blue stuff in their war canoes belong to the Royal Australian Navy=RAN.

There is also another outfit that flies-but they are called something different, and a another lot that wander around on the ground-they have got another name.

Wonder if this can kill the thread?

IACOJ BOD

and a another lot that wander around on the ground-they have got another name.
    We always called them the "Fekawees". Every time they came up to you and said "Were the Fekawee".

MembersZone Subscriber

We always called them the "Fekawees". Every time they came up to you and said "Were the Fekawee".

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEHEE

Been there done that too. Those are the guys that have the "Fekawee Off Factor" too. When things start to get hairy cuz the guy who was supposed to make the Big Bang didnt do it on time so his boyz sayz:

We Fekawee Off OUTTA HERE! And they fekawee far far away.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking K'innells

I always thought they were the "'K"inell we're lost" brigade ,must be related surely?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    I always thought they were the "'K"inell we're lost" brigade ,must be related surely?

Two real radio broadcasts as heard during an exercise with the Regiment (these really took place - I was on radio watch both times):

"Three-one, this is Three. What is your location, Over?"

"Three, this is Three-one. We are lost but making good time. OUT."

(This young troop leader was one of my Squadron Officers at the time.... he has since "grown" to become a LCol and is the current CO of the Regiment. )
    ----------

"Four-four Bravo, this is Four-four. Over?"

"FfffffffFFffour-Ffffffourrrr, ttthhiisss isss.... FFfffffff Aawwweee Fkit, you know who I am."

The Good Warrant Officer of C/S 44B had a stutter and although most times when speaking on the radio it was not always evident...... occasionally it would "appear".

Oh.. and dont call him Shirley. Kiwi hates it when people call him that.

Forum Member

As Kiwi explained the RAN interview is for the Royal Australian Navy. We still hold on to our British Royalty in that way. Ships in the RAN are given titles such as HMAS Kanimbla = Her Majesty's Australian Ship Kanimbla. Much similar to the British Navy who have HMS.

BTW Matthew, no one kills this thread. On the other hand; no one really gets out of this thread alive.

MembersZone Subscriber

BTW Matthew, no one kills this thread. On the other hand; no one really gets out of this thread alive.
    AND DATS DA TRUTH!

Also its similar in Canada: HM(Canadian)Ship RESTIGOUCHE et all. **Oh wait..that ship is now an artificial reef somewhere in the world....

MembersZone Subscriber

If you REALLY want to kill this thread, all's you have to do is mention the user name of a certain FF that rhymes with dread and I can guarantee a DOA.
    Man; there has been no wiggle room on this one. At least 4 threads were started and killed very quickly.
    So, what do you say?
    Let's keep it light here and continue this thread about nothing.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Light enough for ya?

He
    Helium

Helium

Atomic Number: 2

Atomic Weight: 4.002602

Melting Point: 0.95 K (-272.2C or -458.0F)

Boiling Point: 4.22 K (-268.93C or -452.07F)

Density: 0.0001785 grams per cubic centimeter

Phase at Room Temperature: Gas

Element Classification: Non-metal

Period Number: 1 Group Number: 18 Group Name: Noble Gas

What's in a name? For the Greek god of the sun, Helius.

Say what? Helium is pronounced as HEE-lee-em.

History and Uses:
    Helium, the second most abundant element in the universe, was discovered on the sun before it was found on the earth. Pierre-Jules-Csar Janssen, a French astronomer, noticed a yellow line in the sun's spectrum while studying a total solar eclipse in 1868. Sir Norman Lockyer, an English astronomer, realized that this line, with a wavelength of 587.49 nanometers, could not be produced by any element known at the time. It was hypothesized that a new element on the sun was responsible for this mysterious yellow emission. This unknown element was named helium by Lockyer.

The hunt to find helium on earth ended in 1895. Sir William Ramsay, a Scottish chemist, conducted an experiment with a mineral containing uranium called clevite. He exposed the clevite to mineral acids and collected the gases that were produced. He then sent a sample of these gases to two scientists, Lockyer and Sir William Crookes, who were able to identify the helium within it. Two Swedish chemists, Nils Langlet and Per Theodor Cleve, independently found helium in clevite at about the same time as Ramsay.

Helium makes up about 0.0005% of the earth's atmosphere. This trace amount of helium is not gravitationally bound to the earth and is constantly lost to space. The earth's atmospheric helium is replaced by the decay of radioactive elements in the earth's crust. Alpha decay, one type of radioactive decay, produces particles called alpha particles. An alpha particle can become a helium atom once it captures two electrons from its surroundings. This newly formed helium can eventually work its way to the atmosphere through cracks in the crust.

Helium is commercially recovered from natural gas deposits, mostly from Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Helium gas is used to inflate blimps, scientific balloons and party balloons. It is used as an inert shield for arc welding, to pressurize the fuel tanks of liquid fueled rockets and in supersonic windtunnels. Helium is combined with oxygen to create a nitrogen free atmosphere for deep sea divers so that they will not suffer from a condition known as nitrogen narcosis. Liquid helium is an important cryogenic material and is used to study superconductivity and to create superconductive magnets. The Department of Energy's Jefferson Lab uses large amounts of liquid helium to operate its superconductive electron accelerator.

Helium is an inert gas and does not easily combine with other elements. There are no known compounds that contain helium, although attempts are being made to produce helium diflouride (HeF2).

Estimated Crustal Abundance: 810-3 milligrams per kilogram

Estimated Oceanic Abundance: 710-6 milligrams per liter

Number of Stable Isotopes: 2 (View all isotope data)

Ionization Energy: 24.587 eV

Oxidation State: 0

Electron Shell Configuration: 1s2

Thread Information