Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thread killer

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

This about "sums" the day already.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    This about "sums" the day already.

2 Seven, that sums up my day perfectly !!!
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Malahat;

I just printed that one and it's going to work with me.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Rick. That is just too funny (and pretty much summed up my week).

MembersZone Subscriber

I thank so

MembersZone Subscriber

There has to be more to life than writing research papers (which is how I am spending my long weekend. Yet another dissertation on a fire service issue.)

I am going to go bake. Anyone hungry?

the grin of someone who has finally cracked up

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by superchef
    There has to be more to life than writing research papers (which is how I am spending my long weekend. Yet another dissertation on a fire service issue.)

I am going to go bake. Anyone hungry?

the grin of someone who has finally cracked up
    Need any help?
    Perhaps some CR cliff notes?
    Just ate; grilled cheese and tomato soup. There's only one thing better; chili with peanut butter sandwiches.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks CR. The paper is done. It is the formatting that makes me nuts. MS Word has its own evil mind. I tell it to put page numbers on the top right and it puts them on the top left. The more I tell it not to do something, the more it likes to torment me.

Have you ever tried toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches? (same way you make a grilled cheese, just use PB and banana.)

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Have you ever tried toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches? (same way you make a grilled cheese, just use PB and banana.)

EWWWW!!!!! (Maybe I'll try that tomorrow!) Have you ever had fried pickles? I think they are very good.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks CR. The paper is done. It is the formatting that makes me nuts. MS Word has its own evil mind. I tell it to put page numbers on the top right and it puts them on the top left. The more I tell it not to do something, the more it likes to torment me.

You need to re-set your MS Word defaults to filter Left Coast tendencies.
    Naw; no PB and banana. Have you tried PB and sweet pickle? Get those little Vlasic sweet gherkins and slice them thin, put the peanut butter on the bread about a half inch thick and enjoy.
    MMMMMMMMM.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tfpd109
    Have you ever had fried pickles? I think they are very good.
    I won't even say what that image brings to mind.

Thanks for the advice CR. I forgot about that ( I am a left coaster). Although more and more I want to be a "down under coaster."

You boys need to eat something besides PB sandwiches. Have you ever thought about how many you have PB sandwiches you have consumed in your life? Probably well over a 1000 in various combinations.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Very wise!

I won't even say what that image brings to mind.

Thanks for the advice CR. I forgot about that ( I am a left coaster). Although more and more I want to be a "down under coaster."

You boys need to eat something besides PB sandwiches. Have you ever thought about how many you have PB sandwiches you have consumed in your life? Probably well over a 1000 in various combinations.
    Cheffie--the West Coast of the South Island is somewhere that I have yet to visit--BUT-and there is always a "but", all reports so far indicate a virtual mind blowing experience in scenery--as far as the food line, how does wild pork-venison-salmon sound like? Not forgetting Whitebait Fritters!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Westjet Joke

A mother and her very young son were flying Westjet Airlinesfrom Ottawa to Calgary. The little boy who had been quietly looking out the window, turned to his mother and said, "If big dogs have baby dogs, and big cats have baby cats, why don't big airplanes have baby airplanes?"

The mother who couldn't think of an answer, told her son to go ask the flight attendant. So the boy walked down the aisle and asked the flight attendant who was busy serving drinks.

She smiled and asked, "Did your Mom tell you to ask me?"

The boy answered, "Yes, she did."

"Well, then, you go and tell your Mom that there are no baby airplanes because Westjet always pulls out on time. Have your Mom explain that to you."
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 11-27-2006 at 11:29 AM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Excuses For Missing Work Getting Wackier
    Most People Admit Faking Sick

POSTED: 1:06 pm EST November 27, 2006

'Fess up -- have you ever called in sick when you're feeling fine? If so, you're in good company.

A new survey by CareerBuilder.com finds 32 percent of workers have done just that in the last year. Senior career adviser Jennifer Sullivan said many people are using sick days as "mental health days" to catch up on sleep or simply relax.

One in 10 admitted to doing so three times or more in the last year.

According to Sullivan, many employers are honoring that. But she warned that using sick days as vacation days can get you in trouble, especially if a colleague spots you.

And while some employers said they typically don't question excuses given, others were more skeptical. Twenty-seven percent of hiring managers reported they have fired a worker for calling in sick without a legitimate reason.

And for those who told the teacher, "My dog ate my homework," it turns out there are grown-up versions. Employers have heard plenty of unusual excuses for not coming to work, including one guy claiming his mother-in-law poisoned him, or the fellow who said he broke his leg snowboarding off the roof while drunk.

The most popular motivator for missing work was the need to relax, according to nearly half (48 percent) of workers. Twenty-four percent of workers pointed to the desire to catch up on sleep while 20 percent cited personal errands. Other top reasons included doctors appointments (17 percent), plans with family and friends (16 percent) and housework (16 percent).

"Although an improvement from last year, the amount of unexcused absences from the office is significant and can be indicative of employee dissatisfaction," said Rosemary Haefner, Vice President of Human Resources at CareerBuilder.com. "Forty-five percent of hiring managers have caught an employee calling in sick with a fake excuse. This begs two questions: do you have the right employees working for your organization and do you have the right employee management practices in place for your staff?"

One in four workers said they consider their sick days to be equivalent to vacation days and treat them as such.

Comparing genders, women were more likely to take a sick day when they were feeling fine. Thirty-seven percent of women called in sick with bogus explanations compared to 26 percent of men, the survey said. On the employer side, men were more likely to terminate an employee for an unexcused sick day, CareerBuilder reported. Thirty-five percent of men said they have fired an employee for calling in sick with a fake excuse compared to 15 percent of women.

Workers who are chronic offenders may be running out of ideas. Forty-one percent of hiring managers said they have received unusual or suspicious sick day alibis. Sixty-two percent did not believe them, according to the survey. When asked to share the most unusual excuses employees gave for missing work, hiring managers offered the following examples:

1) Employee was poisoned by his mother-in-law.
    2) A buffalo escaped from the game reserve and kept charging the employee every time she tried to go to her car from her house.
    3) Employee was feeling all the symptoms of his expecting wife.
    4) Employee called from his cell phone, said he was accidentally locked in a restroom stall and no one was around to let him out.
    5) Employee broke his leg snowboarding off his roof while drunk.
    6) Employee's wife said he couldn't come into work because he had a lot of chores to do around the house.
    7) One of the walls in the employee's home fell off the night before.
    8) Employee's mother was in jail.
    9) A skunk got into the employee's house and sprayed all of his uniforms.
    10) Employee had bad hiccups.
    11) Employee blew his nose so hard, his back went out.
    12) Employee's horses got loose and were running down the highway.
    13) Employee was hit by a bus while walking.
    14) Employee's dog swallowed her bus pass.
    15) Employee was sad.

The survey was completed in September 2006 and included 1,650 workers and 1,150 hiring managers nationwide.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since everyone reads this thread, Can anyone tell me if HD radio is all the ads make it out to be? I listen to the radio at home (no TV and no desire to buy one). However, commercials are starting to really drive me nuts. I just want music and I would like a little more choice than the recycled play list commercial radio has. HD radio seems to be a better choice.

anyone tried it? good, bad, indifferent? not worth the price?

and it is not relevant that I am already nuts, I just don't need to be any more nuts than I already am!

Forum Member

Cheffie,
    I've never heard of HD radio, but I DO recommend satellite radio. I got a free year's subscription to Sirius with my new car, I haven't listened to a "regular" radio station since I got it.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

MembersZone Subscriber

HD= High definition radio which probably translates as satellite radio. You can get the tuner for your home. I should brave Radio Shack and see if what HD is in fact just "marketing" for satellite radio (and if so, if I can get it in my apartment. Thanks.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Anyone Seen Jerry?.........

I haven't noticed any posts from Capt. Garcia lately. Don't tell me that the Thread is outliving the Thread killer.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Just mention his favourite ice cream ... I'm sure he'll be here lickety-split
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking warning-

It has finally happened. Spam disguised as chicken, pork and turkey.

Today's Wall Street Journal had an article that Hormel is attempting to branch out from Spam to offer "upscale foods." such as "Spicy Szechuan Beef Strips and Teriyaki Chicken Breasts." It tried a few test markets and found that they did not sell. I wonder why??

They tried to get them into Whole Foods but WF declined stating "that we buy our meat from fresh meat suppliers. "

What part of spam is even close to anything resembling meat anyway?

MembersZone Subscriber

What part of spam is even close to anything resembling meat anyway?
    The CAN!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    The CAN!
    You can always spot the bachelors. They think the food groups are cans, bags, bottles and boxes ( I believe it was Patty who first admitted it!).
    Last edited by superchef; 11-29-2006 at 09:24 PM.

IACOJ BOD

What are bags and boxes?

Beer comes in cans or bottles.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking That's Silly..........

You can always spot the bachelors. They think the food groups are cans, bags, bottles and boxes ( I believe it was Patty who first admitted it!).

Honestly Madam, EVERYONE knows that the 5 main Food Groups are Pizzas, Burgers, Fries, Ice Cream, and Colas.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    What are bags and boxes?

Beer comes in cans or bottles.
    pizza comes in boxes, fries come in bags.

Everyone know the 5 main Food Groups are Pizzas, Burgers, Fries, Ice Cream, and Colas
    sighs.. I guess that is why you are the Chief and I am the probie (a sort of one still studying one anyway). I have had it wrong all these years.

Thread Information