Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 275 FirstFirst ... 55105145152153154155156157158165205255 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 5500
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thread killer

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superchef
    HD= High definition radio which probably translates as satellite radio. You can get the tuner for your home. I should brave Radio Shack and see if what HD is in fact just "marketing" for satellite radio (and if so, if I can get it in my apartment. Thanks.
    I went back browsing the forum today and saw this. HD radio is broadcast radio that has the text information broadcast as well. Some of the newer radios already have the features. This is when you listen to a "regular"station ,and the radio tells you the call letters, and even what song is playing. I think you are supposed to get better reception as it is a digital signal. It is also supposed to make AM stations sound just as good as FM. HD radio reception is free.

The satellite radios have a monthly cost , and I think do not have commercials. I have been doing some research on the sat radio devices, as the wife & I take occasional trips to Branson to see some relatives, and we also like to take random road trips.

I have been looking at mainly Sirius radios (no particular reason other than that is what our relatives have) and they have some pretty neat little devices. They have several devices that work simmilar to a TIVO, and record about 45 min worth of programming, so you can rewind and hear something you missed , or pause to order some fast food, etc. They also have one that looks just like a radar detector. Other than the monthly fees, I really like the idea of the sat radio, maybe we can all get a "public safety discount"

Til later, kampy out
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you.

You want to come be my taste tester tomorrow when I bake?

I don't want to spend $$ for satellite radio in my apartment. I just want less commercials and more music and maybe more variety in the playlist than the same ten songs over and over again. I will wait till January to look at prices for a radio with a HD tuner. (when I have $$$. The prices I have heard advertised are around $200 for a radio wth a HD tuner.).

We have a pretty good radio station here that plays pretty good music and they pride themeselves on never more than 2 ads in a row. Not bad for one of the more popular stations on the Gold Coast. Radio ads are never funny. Some of our TV ads i prefer to watch then the shows themeselves.
    All the Aussies here will know the certain Bigpond ad im talking about.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

The problem with satellite is yeah, there are no 'commercials' but sometimes the station I.D. skits they run can be just as annoying.

Mm, ginger cookies.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, after a day-long baking marathon I have cranberry-orange muffins, chocolate-cherry muffins, cinnamon chip cookies and giant ginger cookies. I may still make some lemon-ginger bread after I take a bit of a rest. Or maybe some little gingerbread cakes........I need a break first though...

Am I making anyone hungry?
    Last edited by superchef; 12-15-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Forum Member

Yes.

And please continue to do so.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post
    Well, after a day-long baking marathon I have cranberry-orange muffins, chocolate-cherry muffins, cinnamon chip cookies and giant ginger cookies. I may still make some lemon-ginger bread after I take a bit of a rest. Or maybe some little gingerbread cakes........I need a break first though...

Am I making anyone hungry?
    YES. STARVING. Just got home from the First Santa Run of the year and it was a success. However I didnt have time to eat before going out... and I am STARVING! Just ordered pizza to go, with breadsticks.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

I'm not seeing much mistletoe this year.
    *taps Chief Reason on the shoulder. He turns around and....

MWAH!

ROOK gotcha!

Feel better now, Chief?

BTW, groovy glasses
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

I just had to deal with the second car accident whilst not on duty in as many weeks. It sure is harder to secure a crash site and take care of casualties when you are not in uniform. At least most of the people are happy to obey any orders they are given.
    Im half tempted to keep some rubber gloves on my person at all times now.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Thanks, Rook.
    I feel better now.
    I guess we're not seeing it here for fear of another E Coli outbreak. Rumors have it that the mistletoe came from the same region in Cal as the onions, lettuce and spinach.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyV View Post
    I just had to deal with the second car accident whilst not on duty in as many weeks. It sure is harder to secure a crash site and take care of casualties when you are not in uniform. At least most of the people are happy to obey any orders they are given.
    Im half tempted to keep some rubber gloves on my person at all times now.
    Patty; keeping gloves would certainly give you something to talk about.
    Sir; if you don't leave the scene, I'm going to have to ask you to bend over".
    That should keep traffic moving.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 12-16-2006 at 06:25 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking ok.

Quote Originally Posted by LEWTFL View Post
    Yes. And please continue to do so.
    Chocolate Marbled Gingerbread

8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 ½ cups water
    1 cup unsulphured molasses
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    Pinch ground cloves
    1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    4 ounces 63% semi-sweet chocolate, melted

Ice cream (optional)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F. Butter bottom and sides of 9 x 13” baking pan.

In small saucepan, bring water to boil. Remove from heat and stir in molasses and baking soda. Set aside till lukewarm about 10 minutes.

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.

In bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed about 2 minutes or till light and fluffy. With mixer running add egg and mix until combined, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. On low speed, alternately add dry ingredients and molasses mixture.

Pour about 1/3 of batter into small bowl. Add chocolate and stir to combine.

Pour plain batter into baking pan. Evenly space about 6 heaping spoonfuls of chocolate batter on top of plain batter. Pull a skewer through batter to marble chocolate and plain batters.

Bake 30-35 minutes or till skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in pan.

Cut in squares and serve topped with ice cream if desired.

from my new cookbook by Scharffenberger (makes of fine high quality chocolates).

MembersZone Subscriber ckresmer's Avatar

i had satellite radio until the ex finaaly remebered to quite paying for it

I liked it, also if you have satellite tv you have the radio sations too. the music stations are commercial free but most of the talk stations have commercials.

HD radio is a different matter.
    if there's no firetrucks in heaven, i aint going

This is the most awesome thread of all time.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1  81526&dateline=1193075762

Superchef? Can I come live with you? LOL! Eating is one of my specialties! I cook pretty well, but I eat even better! And, if you're short, I'm good for getting things off high shelves!

Ok, Superchef! You've inspired me! Off to make cookies with my little girl! LOL!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rangercap View Post
    Superchef? Can I come live with you? LOL! Eating is one of my specialties! I cook pretty well, but I eat even better! And, if you're short, I'm good for getting things off high shelves!
    That works for me. I like to cook, I just someone who likes to eat.
    At 5'5" I can usually reach the top shelf if I stand on the bottom shelf.
    Last edited by superchef; 12-19-2006 at 05:22 PM.

My mother-in-law is a very tiny woman and sometimes she calls me to come over and get things down for her. And she just had her kitchen redone. During the design process, I mentioned maybe she should make her cabinets lower! LOL! And she didn't! LOL! My sister does the same thing. I'll be in her area and have to stop by her place and look at the list on the counter to get things done. The boy at our barn told me I was the tallest woman he had ever seen! I'm not that tall!

"SERVITIUM NULLI SECUNDUS"

Oh So True!!

These changing times

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.
    1973 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.
    2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
    1973 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.
    2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
    1973 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Gets a second paddling when he gets home. Learns to sit still in class.
    2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.
    1973 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
    2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.
    1973 - Mark feels better by mid-morning and has a productive day at school. Keeps medicine in desk for future use.
    2006 - Police called. Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mary turns up pregnant.
    1973 - Five High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a special school for expectant mothers.
    2006 - Middle School Counselor calls Planned Parenthood, who notifies the ACLU. Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion without her parents' consent or knowledge. Mary given condoms and told to be more careful next time.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.
    1973: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
    2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by state democratic party. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
    1973 - Ants die.
    2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

And nobody cares about Fred.

It is an OUTRAGE that should be fixed.

Who is Fred.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    And nobody cares about Fred.

It is an OUTRAGE that should be fixed.

Who is Fred.
    FRED! FRED! Who the (D)uck is Fred?

Can't remember who sings the song, but I "borrowed" from it anyhow - Sorry Alice.

Thread Information