Thread: Warning Lights

Forum Member

Lightbulb Surprised

I'm a little surprised that nobody took the bait on the "lunatic driver" mentioned in an earlier post. I'm not saying that we don't all put our toe down in an emergency- but is eratic driving justified by response? Are responding firefighter deaths not increasing at a dramatic rate as it is? And if driving eratically IS justifiable, wouldn't it make sense to display a warning of some sort to others? Furthermore, the logic of NOT using a light for fear of distracting others is a bit questionable. How about we take lights off all our emergency response vehicles lest we distract other drivers from the other vehicles on the road. Not like anyone pays that much attention while they're on the road anyway between talking on the phone, using their PDA, and reading the paper or looking at themselves in the rearview mirror.

We don't use the lights where I volunteer, and I know our chief is near dead-set against it. Actually, he's dead against it largely because of the "lunatic driving" being even more prominent than it already is. Besides, it doesn't allow you to break any speed limits or run posted traffic control signs. All it is is a pat on the shoulder to other motorists (who even know what the light represents) to step aside so that you can get to an emergency. I dare say, judging by the number of people who don't even step aside for our pumps / apparatus, the reaction to a green light on a POV is going to be less than enthusiastic.

This isn't to say that I'd be against it if we were already using it and the people in the community were well informed as to its use. Strangely enough, I'm all for the light and in fact have mentioned it a few times to the chief. But the more I think about it- for the few seconds that it's going to save... not sure if I could even sell myself on the idea any more.

Regards,

Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Last edited by Eno821; 07-05-2005 at 05:24 PM.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey ENO, well said.

Lunatic drivers are not tolerated in my department and if so,my department punishes them accordingly.

Jason.
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Oh dear...this again. Oh well.

Membership has its privileges. When you drive the BRTs (Big Red Trucks) you (in theory) get privileges that vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction -- like the ability to cross double lines, not make a full stop, go through red lights or leap tall buildings in a single bound (Quebec only). BUT... and it's a big one ...BUT you have to be certified, in one way or another, to drive BRTs and that certification should (SHOULD) include safety training, common sense training, a whack on the side of the head for the yahoos and some stern warnings that if you frig things up, you may end up dead, in jail, penniless, the pariah of the community or all of the above.

Many of us are adults and prudent. We can learn to drive our POVs with green/red/pink/polka-dotted lights safely and responsibly with good training, good SOP/SOGs and solid punitive sanctions for those who transgress. Lives may be saved or lives may be lost...but that's no different than what happens when we get on our BRTs, is it? If the yahoos drive their Pintos like crazy nut-bags, they're gonna drive the fully lit and noisy Freightliner like an even crazier nut-bag. So shouldn't we stop apologizing for the nutbars (better yet, spank them and get them to sit in a corner on the next call) and lobby for a uniform and sane way of getting responders to the scene safely?

NB: this was going to be my 2 cents worth but with the exchange rate it ended up being 3.4 cents... my apologies.

Edmond
    Chelsea, QC

Forum Member

Originally posted by DCCHam
    Here in NS, even the RCMP have recommended to us to have our members use their 4-way flashers. They've been told too though, that this doesn't give them any right-of-ways or can break any traffic laws though. It just alerts the other drivers that they're comming and "asks" permission for them to pull off to the right. The RCMP will still stop and fine any members caught speeding or running stops.

I'm pretty sure that most departments in NS have their members use four-ways.
    I was in my mom's truck with the 4 ways on and the town police pulled me over, on a hill, thank God I wasn't in a standard car, just to ask what I was doing. I said I was a volunteer FF and they let me go and said that I should always have my 4 ways on to go to fires.. (So, why did you stop me!!! I was driving like I normally do, they just thought I had the 4 ways on for fun or whatever)
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

Originally posted by paris04

I was in my mom's truck with the 4 ways on and the town police pulled me over, on a hill, thank God I wasn't in a standard car, just to ask what I was doing. I said I was a volunteer FF and they let me go and said that I should always have my 4 ways on to go to fires.. (So, why did you stop me!!! I was driving like I normally do, they just thought I had the 4 ways on for fun or whatever)
    Man cops are so different in Annapolis County than Kings....They wouldn't give to flying f**k's if you had your 4-ways on...They'd give you ****...And probably more because you have them on...My dept and most around here have it in our by-laws your not to use them..And I'm sure theres something in the Motor Vehicle Act about it...Must be nice though
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ndvfdff33

Man cops are so different in Annapolis County than Kings....They wouldn't give to flying f**k's if you had your 4-ways on...They'd give you ****...And probably more because you have them on...My dept and most around here have it in our by-laws your not to use them..And I'm sure theres something in the Motor Vehicle Act about it...Must be nice though

Hey bud,

I hear ya. Our department has it in our SOG's to use them, however, personally myself, if I didnt have the lights and siren, I wouldn't be using the 4ways. Just personal preference.

As for the Motor Vehicle Act. According to an officer I know in the highway division of the RCMP, there is nothing against using them, but nothing again saying that you can. Now according the copy of the Motor Vehicle Act for NS that i have on my computer, I can't find any spot where it is mentioned not to use them.

As always with legislation, lots of gray area and lots of room for interpretation
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Forum Member

In Yarmouth, NS, we're told NOT to use our Four Way Flashers. We must obey all rules of the road, the same as if we were just driving to work.. As for warning lights/sirens, our department allows our Chief & Deputy Chiefs to use these if they wish.

Forum Member

Originally posted by csquesnel
    In Yarmouth, NS, we're told NOT to use our Four Way Flashers. We must obey all rules of the road, the same as if we were just driving to work.. As for warning lights/sirens, our department allows our Chief & Deputy Chiefs to use these if they wish.

Hmmm..Things must only be that weird in Kings County...Ah Well..Nothin New On The Weirdness..

Also welcome aboard...Nice to see another Nova Scotioner amongst the ranks
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Thanks Nice to find a central place to be able to come and talk about issues with other FireFighters/EMT's and what not. Don't know how it took me this long to find this place though.

Forum Member

Thanks Nice to find a central place to be able to come and talk about issues with other FireFighters/EMT's and what not. Don't know how it took me this long to find this place though.
    Also try www.firehall.com

Its the Canadian version of Firehouse and it has a chat room..

Ryan

Forum Member

Originally posted by ndvfdff33

Also try www.firehall.com

Its the Canadian version of Firehouse and it has a chat room..
    Ooh, perfect! Thanks!

Forum Member

Yeah.. they banned me...
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

Originally posted by paris04
    Yeah.. they banned me...
    Yeah but no offence, you brought it on yourself

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by paris04
    Yeah.. they banned me...
    Now why don't you put 2 and 2 together and relize that your maturity level just isn't appreciated or desired over there......and stay away?

Thread Information