Forum Member

Default Just Saying Hello

Hello

I am 20 year old Fire Fighter with my local Volunteer FD, which i joined the day I turned 18. I have been involved with the department tho since a was a little kid, the fire department played a large role in my childhood.

I also recently became a certified Paramedic (PCP) in Ontario, and was fortunate enough to be hired by the EMS service in my home town which has allowed me to remain on the FD.

I've been reading alot of the post on this site the last couple of days, and i would like to say there is alot of great stuff on here..From the serious, to the informative..to the gut busting funny.

Great Site!!!!

Forum Member

Hi CobyFire,

I agree, great site. *wipes brown off nose* :P

Yeah, I'm 20 myself and I might volunteer over the summer before I hit the academy. (But you've been doing this since you were 18? Good deal, bro.) In fact, I'll pretty much have to volunteer because I just want to have that much more on my side when I try to get the job. (The economy here is such that service/government jobs such as nursing, law enforcement, military, border patrol and fire fighting are where most local young people want to be. The rest just want to leave. *shrugs*)

How was it getting the job as a paramedic? Did you pretty much have the job landed or was it really competitive for you?

Ben

Forum Member

To be honest landing a position with both fire and EMS was rather easy for me. My Father is a Captian with the my FD, so I have always spent alot of time around the station. This also allowed me to build up a good rep. with the local EMS Managers and they offered me a position straight out of school.

Don't let this fool you tho, I still had to work my @$$ off throughout school and before school to build up this rep. and to get where I am at today.

Its always a good idea to volunteer, if nothing else it always looks good on a resume.

Good Luck!!

Thread Information