Thread: Info on Iraq

Forum Member

BUMP

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bump and bump

bump

Forum Member

So I got my letter today, as I suspect most of you have. It was extremely vague, and didn't even mention the 1-2 months or any time frime for that matter, just that positions would be filled as they become available. The only thing I'm worried about is them calling me and telling me something like, "The plane ticket's in the mail, you fly out tomorrow," without any prior warning. I figure I'll just do everything I need to be ready to ship out at a moment's notice. How about everyone else?

Forum Member

Unhappy

Makes sence to me just hate to go to all that trouble for nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I talk to Astrid today.She told me that as of write know there are three groups of 10 going in August.As long as nothing should go wrong.
    She also said they would call you in advanced of A new date to leave.You also have to sign a nother acceptance letter.

ONEFIREKILLER... would you send me info on how to transfer my certs
    over to PRO BOARD. Every one I ask told me I had to
    test out.Email me at gstmorabito@yahoo.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking letter letter what letter???

well didnt get mine today ---maybe a day or two longer further from DC and ill reschedule my physical now. silly me when they said stop sending paperwork i stopped everything-- literally. do i see heads shaking ???
    oh well bump

Forum Member

Rescue241's request for more info from ONEFIREKILLER would be helpful for transfering cert.'s to PROBOARD. My husband is planning to take testing for IFSAC in Penns. If there is way to trasfer those cert.'s that would be terrific news. It may save a trip to Penns. Or if anyone else for that matter would be a great source of help. Husband also got letter yesterday and was vague. No date of letter, just stating there is hold right now?

Good luck and be safe, and send that info ASAP. (Please)

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Info

I am scheduled to head out july 18th. does anyone have any info reagrding things like electronic compatibilty, cell phone/internet. i just found this post/thread. i feel like a real "genius" for not finding it earlier. Hmmm. anyway, i am looking forward to my departure, so if anyone has any tips/advice it would be greatly appreciated. also, is anyone else scheduled to leave on the 18th. can email me rjennette@albemarle.org. thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Got my letter yesterday....aggrivation is rampant in my little neck of the woods. Do the know who will ship out on the 10th of august yet or is that one still up in the air to?
    A small unpleasant place

Forum Member

rwjennette, you should be getting a letter in the mail within the next few days telling you about what's going on. Unfortunately, you're NOT going on the 18th, everything's been put on hold for at least a month. I was scheduled for July 11th, but now apparently I'll be leaving in August. Sorry to burst your bubble. I would suggest spending that spare time reading this thread and the original Iraq one, which is much more informative, but also probably ten pages back.

As for everyone else, I would love a mid-August departure date. As I've said before, that'll get me back for Christmas/New Years AND my 21st birthday, anyone with any more info on it? Also, I haven't heard anything about not sending in paperwork. I still have some stuff to send in, including my physical. Should I wait?

Forum Member

Default paperwork

Astrid told me that I should wait on the physical. She said that it needs to be done closer to your ship date.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Transfering IFSAC Certs > ProBoard(NFSPQB) Certs and ProBoard(NFSPQB) certs > IFSAC

AFFWife and others interested.

There seems to be some confusion about IFSAC and ProBoard(NFSPQB)certificaions. In the world as We know it there are currently two accrediting bodies that offer professional certifications to firefighters / emmergency service personell:

IFSAC - International Fire Service Accrediation Congress

http://www.ifsac.org/

NFSPQB(AKA: ProBoard)- National Fire Service Professional Qualifications Board

http://www.theproboard.org

If a firefighter is currently certified by either IFSAC or ProBoard it means exactly the same thing!

For example; if a firefighter is certified as a Firefighter I, as per NFPA 1001, 2003 Edition, and He/She lives in the state of Texas, most likely the certification will be through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection and they are an IFSAC Accredited Agency therefore they were probably issued an certification that includes on its face an IFSAC seal with a six or seven digit serial number. Said firefighter can then make a photocopy of this certificate and apply to the ProBoard or another accredited ProBoard Agency for reciprocity. $15,00 later and a little bit of paperwork and in a few weeks the firefighter will have a ProBoard Certificate for Firefighter I, as per NFPA 1001, 2003 Edition.

What is IFSAC?

The International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) is an organization that "accredits" international, national, and regional fire service certification programs, with special emphasis on examination procedures. As a peer-driven organization, IFSAC not only ensures that participating entities comply with IFSAC policies and procedures, but also helps improve the quality of its members' certification programs. Specific information about the organization is available on the IFSAC website at http://www.ifsac.org/.

Moral of the Story: IFSAC or Proboard = SAME and WSI should accept either.

What is accreditation?

When IFSAC accredits an entity's certification and testing programs, it reviews the entity's policies and procedures and verifies that the program meets a nationally recognized standard. The certifying entity in Texas is the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.

The training curricula must meet applicable National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards. The commission develops and administers examinations to test an individual's knowledge of the objectives outlined in the curricula. When an individual passes the required exam and meets all other applicable requirements, the individual is eligible to obtain the appropriate IFSAC certification

When determining whether an organization's certification program is eligible for accreditation, IFSAC reviews:

The laws empowering the organization to administer the state's certification program.

The organization's policies relating to the certification and testing programs.

Administrative aspects, including such items as how the organization schedules and announces tests, how it notifies candidates of their scores, how it retains records and maintains test security, how it retests, how it distributes IFSAC seals, and other administrative issues.

The content of both written and practical exams to determine whether the tests adequately cover the adopted standards.
    Questions on the written exam for validity, reliability, and to determine whether the test provides a fair evaluation of examinees' knowledge.

Skills on the practical skills exams, to determine whether they cover the appropriate standards, how the entity chooses which skills to test, how evaluators are trained and how they deliver instructions to examinees, and how the tests are graded.

IFSAC re-examines accredited programs every five years.

If anyone has any specific questions, please send me an email.

Fraternally,

Bob Edmiston
    edmiston@mac.com

Forum Member

Bump Bump Bump

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medical

What shots are needed to go over. I am just waiting on my certs to send my app. in. Have been in touch with mr. K so that is cool.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation 7/11 crew heads up

Spoke with Astrid today... we are the next crew to deploy. there are supposed to be 2 meybe 3 groups leaving in the near future. And that brings me to the next delima. She told me 2 stories, #1 the first crew will be leaving in the begining of august, #2 the first crew will be leaving late august early september. Why dont a few of us call and ask her and see what answers we get then post them, then meybe we can figure out what is going on. Call it black ops.

azman62000... when you send in your app you will do the interview and the get a new hire packet with all of the info about shots and all of that good stuff, but you will prob have some time befor you have to worry about it.
    A small unpleasant place

Forum Member

bump
    My <3 belongs to a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default phone #

Does anyone have a phone # for Astrid? Talked to her last week and I'm supposed to call her late next week but I lost her #. Would appreciate if anyone can help me out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: phone #

Originally posted by jwhale7
    Does anyone have a phone # for Astrid? Talked to her last week and I'm supposed to call her late next week but I lost her #. Would appreciate if anyone can help me out.
    I don't have her CP # handy, but the DC # is 202-557-3680, and her ext. is 24 (but all of the mailboxes are usually full).

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Fireskeith

Macattacksback. Hope all is well. Had a great time. Will send pics later. Still off from the station for one more week. Go back to the part time today. It appears that it will take a little longer to see ya. Talked to WSIHQ today. They said my application is in place and looks good and when they crank back up they will be in touch. Ya'll be carefull.By the way the cerveza supply has been depleted in Panama and Costa Rica.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default work for KBR

anyone who is think of working for KBR after WSI or the other way around you will have to wait 1 year to do so. KBR lists WSI as
    "A Subcontractor" and have a clause in the master contract. thought you would like to know.

Default on hold????

i was informed i would be leaving on july 25th. I have yet to get a letter saying everything was on hold. My buddy recieved his already but he has not turned in his acceptence letter. So i am wondering how many of you that have recieved the letter saying "everything is on hold" have sent in their acceptance letter. thinking that those people are the ones on hold.

Forum Member

i recieved my letter the other day .............
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking bump and bump

bump and bump

MembersZone Subscriber

Post No Letter

Yeah, i was told i was leaving on the 18th of July but have yet to receive a letter. I guess i should call on Monday?!

MembersZone Subscriber

halfmoon505, thanks for the # and I appreciate the help. Everybody waiting to go over, hang in there, we'll get there eventually!

Thread Information