Thread: Info on Iraq

Default preparing for IRAQ

Hey, I am in the process of being contracted by Wackenhut and had some questions if you have the answers please reply.

I guess first, I leave for huston on July 11 and was wondering how long you are there before the ship you out also what kind of training and lectures do they give you?

Second, What is the PPE situation like over there? I have heard many diff stories like only a few people have turnout gear.

What does the apparatus situation look like?

what is your housing situation like?

What types of problems have you encountered while in country either personal or with Wackenhut?

And if you have anything else to add that great?

and if you dont wanna post it jus email me at PyroContract@yahoo.com

Thanks A July 11'er

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Vaccinations and such

As soon as I off duty I will post the entire list.

As far as XM, I contacted XM. Their official response is "it is only guaranteed in the Con. U.S. and Cananananada, eh. Whether it ACTUALLY works elsewhere, well...I have a buddy in the Army at Camp Prosperity, I will see if he has any insight.

Regarding the internet service, even if company CPUs are the only ones online, if you have a wireless PCI card, and the guys are willing to chip in on a Wireless-G broadband router (bout $200) then everyone should be set.

Anyone in country w/ some insight..uh, oh. Got a job. BRB.

Forum Member

i duno if we can use internet or not but jeff its cheaper than that
    just goto ebay even and type in Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router

you can find them around 60$

chris

bfdnjff@optonline.net
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Home now - looks like Capo took care of the immunization/tests questions.

PTFD - one week is the stay in Houston normally - my hubby Gary "Zimbob" arrived on a Monday as was to depart on Friday but didn't fly out until Sunday. He left for Houston Oct 17th, 2004.

He got his turnout gear after being there 2 months.

On his base they have 2 Class A Pumpers, 2 Tankers, One Heavy Rescue and One Brush Truck - when he first arrived in Nov '04 they only had one tanker - they received the rest of their apparatus in January.

Tents are the accomodations for him still - 6-8 guys per tent with privacy partitions.

As far as problems you have to make your own decision on problems - it is not for everybody - personally we have had minimal issues with corporate - what we did encounter was easily solved with clear communication and patience and not jumping to conclusions.

Per Gary as far as training and lectures in Houston you wont have any problems.

(By the Gary is with me and dictating these answers to me)

For those who don't know - Gary is at home for a while due to knee injury (patella dislocation) - waiting to see if he needs surgery - but he will be back soon!

As far as the XM radio - I was interested in that for Gary back in October - I checked and wasn't even available in Iraq - not sure now but Gary seems to doubt that it would be allowed on base.

Talk to you later!

Tracy

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Capo168 for the info and when you can if you could shoot me and email.
    Last edited by CorreeyW; 05-25-2005 at 03:20 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

In regards to the internet in Iraq....
    I am not with WSI but I am in Iraq and have access to the internet readily available. There are satelites that can be bought for about $7,000 and internet service is billed every 3 months. What we did was get a group of about 40 people to chip in and purchase the dish, and we do the same with the service fee every 3 months. The service every 3 months comes to about $130.
    Now I didn't do any of the leg work for this so I don't know many details. I just know the end cost for the user. One of my units communication guys has set up the network and he takes care of all the technical stuff. The connection is pretty good. I would say that download speeds are about the same as a cable modem.
    Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

What kind of satellite? Like direct tv or something?

Corey

Forum Member

Question R&R

When it comes to R&R are you able to go pretty much any where or are you limited as to what flights and transports you can get? My interest is to try and get to Ireland for one of them. Is it possible?
    Rescue Chief Timothy Hugh Gibson, CFI
    VMSC of Lansdale, Division of Heavy/Technical Rescue
    Founder Emerald Society of Bucks and Montgomery Counties (www.buxmontemeraldsociety.org)
    Career Links:
    www.horshamfire.com
    www.sars.org
    www.abington.org/fire/mckinley.htm
    www.montcopa.org/eoc/Fire_Academy/MCFAHome.htm
    www.bucks.edu/publicsafety/

Volunteer Links:
    www.medic345.org
    www.ugfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Erin Go Braugh

Hey Troop,

Ireland is in bro. Go to www.ba.com or any other airline that flies out of Dubai (DXB) and pick your flight. Dubai is a huge tourist destination for the Middle East. It has a huge International airport and dozens of airlines in and out. The only prob. you will have w/ flyinf british airways is that ALL of their flight go through Heathrow in London. Won't be that big of a deal if you don't care about flying non-stop, but the flight will stop in London at some point. I also know that United, Continental, American, Air France (puke) and KLM fly into Dubai and back to Europe. BA.com will proably be the cheapest, but it seems like United and Continental had the fastest flights.

Question First Amendment

I haven't read the Iraq thread for a month and spent almost four hours tonight "catching up" on everything. Granted, some things haven't changed. And then, it came to a screching halt. What happened to the First Amendment and the Right to Free Speech??

I understand Firehouse's right to monitor threads. But, I am shocked, no, stunned, that the WEBTEAM opted to terminate the thread because of alleged negative comments made towards WSI employees. It makes me wonder if somebody from WSI has a connection at Firehouse.com especially since one of the last posts implied an audit was currently underway.

Fishy....

MembersZone Subscriber

1st off...this is a private company's website...the 1st amendment doesnt apply here. If you read the terms/conditions of posting, they state they have the right to edit or delete any posts at their descretion, which also includes ending a thread.

Now that I'm through with that...

Do I need any power adaptors over there or will my american power plugs work just fine on base?

-------------
    FF/emt

Forum Member

That's a big NEGATORY on American plugs over there, you will definitely needs adaptors, unless you want to fry everything, that is. As for what kind, I couldn't have the slightest idea. Anyone?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Berks2Montco84
    That's a big NEGATORY on American plugs over there, you will definitely needs adaptors, unless you want to fry everything, that is. As for what kind, I couldn't have the slightest idea. Anyone?
    Berks2Montco84, please don't take this the wrong way...but you have responded to all my questions with answers that always include that you aren't over there and don't know for sure. I don't mean to be rude, but answers from people who ARE over there would be a LOT more helpful then your guesses or 2nd hand info.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but in the case of technical things like internet access and electrical plugs...I would say that someone in country would have a better idea of what's up then you.

Thanks for your posts though.

--------

Forum Member

Hey, I'm just trying to help and tell you what I have heard. I know some people that have been over there with the military, and they all say it's not the same as American electricity. However, I admit I don't know the exact details, that's why I leave it open for others to add input. Nobody else was replying, so at least now you know you need an adapter instead of not taking one and frying your electronics (which I know I wouldn't want to do either, even though my laptop is P***ing me off lately). As far as my first post, I was more interesting in hearing about XM than answering your question, but I figured I'd try to be nice nontheless....

However, if my replies annoy you, I'll stop.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Back on the Air

Greetings all. Sorry its been a while but trying to get grounded here at my base, not to mention the transit time. So can someone fill me in on what provoked the web-team to terminate the FF in Iraq Thread? I hope everyone is just peachy that use this forum and that are out here in the desert.
    I have no ambition in this world but one.. That is to be a Firefighter! The position in the eyes of some may appear to be a lowly one... It is a nobel calling

Forum Member

Default kSfireman82

90% of plugs are 220. You can get a adapter for 110 to 220 in Iraq cheap. I paid $2.00 for mine. The 220 surge protector was $10.99. If you buy this in U.S. you are only hurting your back. Pack Lite.
    Last edited by FIRESKEITH; 05-25-2005 at 06:11 AM.

Default Traveling soon

What type of laptops are people buying and taking over. Iam flying out on the 11th of July to Houston and Iam trying to get all my gear together.

Forum Member

Just wondering if anyone over there has gotten a tattoo to remember their time in Iraq? Post a picture if you can.

MembersZone Subscriber

About laptops...Can you buy them overthere or do you have to buy them here and take that with you? I though I read somewhere that the PX/BX has a whole bunch of stuff and one thing were laptops?

Waiting for the mail so I can get over there
    Corey

MembersZone Subscriber

How many peeps we got headed out for July 11th ?

Someone had set up a yahoo groups for it : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WSI_July_11ers/

Just go there and sign up and all.

Its been almost a month since I sent in my application. I'm waiting til the end of the week to call (I sent Monique an email Monday asking about my paperwork).

Sad to see the old post shut down....but it was getting wild, wasn't it ?

Rock on peeps....

Forum Member

BUMP!!!

Tracy

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation HOT of the presses

It seems as though the information that the "ol' guy" was provided was 100% correct...but only applicable to himself and any of you other guys who have IFSAC or ProBoard certs....

The rest of us poor unfortunate souls will be delayed in getting in country by at least a week, as they will be sending us to "refresher" training so that we can challenge the exam and get our DoD reciprosity BEFORE going over. The process as it WAS allowed you to get in country and THEN take the course in order to challenge...thereby you would be PAID while taking this refresher training. As it is NOW, we will NOT BE PAID for this required training and will again, not start our official one year until wheels up to Dubai.

So, where does that leave us ? Depends on your level of training. If you have IFSAC, ProBoard or are currently DoD certified, then apparently you are going over as originally scheduled. If not, then it looks like we are STILL in a holding pattern over the airstrip my friends.

t1j1c1, any idea how expeditious the process for "transferring" over the certs through that process you told me about is ? Any chance I could get it done in a week-and-a-half ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Thanks Tracy

BUMP - BUMP - STICKY - STICKY - BUMP - BUMP

Forum Member

Default Re: HOT of the presses

[i]Originally posted by Capo168

The rest of us poor unfortunate souls will be delayed in getting in country by at least a week, as they will be sending us to "refresher" training so that we can challenge the exam and get our DoD reciprosity BEFORE going over.

The process as it WAS allowed you to get in country and THEN take the course in order to challenge...thereby you would be PAID while taking this refresher training. As it is NOW, we will NOT BE PAID for this required training and will again, not start our official one year until wheels up to Dubai.

t1j1c1, any idea how expeditious the process for "transferring" over the certs through that process you told me about is ? Any chance I could get it done in a week-and-a-half ? [/B]
    Capo I have been in contact with Pro Board and ISFAC about this. Their first replies to me were that they are not affiliated with the organization that issued my certification (The Michigan Fire Fighters Training Council) and therefore my certs do not qualify to their standards (even though the MFFTC assures me that my certs are above and beyond what Pro Board and ISFAC require). I have since emailed them back and asked about refresher courses or challenging their tests but have not heard back yet. I will post whatever they tell me. I wonder how long we may have to wait to be hired because of this.
    Monique from WSI told me that my interview date is still 6/2/05 and that any other questions I had I could ask then. Till then I'm in the dark.

Forum Member

Thumbs up keep this thread

One of reasons I'm going (July 11th) is this forum. A number of you have taken the time and shown great patience in answering our questions. I appreciate the information and the humor. If I want to hear people complaining about the fire service, I simply have to walk out to the apparatus floor and join a discussion. Where did I put my psyc meds?

Thread Information