Thread: Info on Iraq

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Capo thanks for the advice dude. I called today and they set up my interview for tommorow. They said b/c i have DoD IFSAC certs i wouldn't have to wait long. What type of questions should i expect from the interview? thanks again dude i owe you a beer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking hey now another chance

well lets see if we can keep it semi-light around here. i did enjoy it before it reminded me of being a short-timer in the marine corps where as a fact of life everything about you and where you came from was open to the harshest ridicule imaginable. it was all in fun and it passed the time. anywho that was then i need to thank tracy again for "the list" and to those on the july 18 wagon -prepare to mount-

Forum Member

Post Interview

BMW, I had my interview with Col. Tom Keller on 16th. It is very straight forward. He will ask about your current employment, if you are aware of what is happening in Iraq. He asked about my family and the support I have at home. Will you be able to handle being away? He will also brief you about your departure date, pay schedule, benefits, your week in houston and how and where you will arrive overseas. Based on your interview your recommendation will get kicked up to Astrid and you should receive your hire packet fed-exed four days later.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good deal Mattox....thanks for the good scoop.

And Bullwinkle....been there done that, got a few green (and brown) tshirts....lol. I know EXACTLY what you mean.....

Good memories though.....good memories.....

Forum Member

Hello All

Yes you can buy laptops at the px. My husband bought one. It has worked really well. As I've found out you can buy just about anything there. LOL So remember pack light LOL as you've been told.
    Digital cameras can also be bought. All of you going over be safe and take care !!!!!!!

R

MembersZone Subscriber

For anyone looking to get their state certifications converted to IFSAC, Proboard, or DOD, let me offer some helpful information.

First is to go to www.IFSAC.org www.proboard.org or www.dodffcert.com by looking on these sites you can find out if your state is an affiliated state.

If it is it may be as simple as sending your certification into the respective agency with a form and fee to have it converted.

If your state is not, you may be able to send in a copy of your certification along with the course curriculum asking for reciprocity based on the course you took.

Another way is to find a challenge course where you can challenge the test for the respective certification. You can look online for locations at different fire academies to take challenge tests for IFSAC or Proboard certification. I am doing mine through Bucks County when I am home at the end of my contract during June.

The final way is to find and take a course at an accredited academy.

If anyone has any questions just email and I'll be happy to help.

Scott Van Boerum
    WSI Fire & Emergency Services
    Acting Ast Chief
    Camp Speicher
    Tikrit, Iraq
    Last edited by rescue542; 05-26-2005 at 02:34 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Wish me luck

Got my interview today at 1 edt. Will post and advise on outcome

cory

Default dod certs

Does anyone have an address and/or phone number to contact someone with the dodffcert office. I had a long time ago and can't find it. I am looking to come to Iraq with you guys. I already have DOD FF1, FF2, Airport FF, Driver/Operator-ARFF & Driver/Operator-Pumper. I have Hazmat Tech 1 & 2 through the Mississippi Fire Academy. I want to try and get them converted to DOD if possible. Any info would be appreciated.e-mail me at: buildinginspector@panola.com
    Last edited by mccollum78; 05-26-2005 at 09:23 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

http://www.dodffcert.com/ is a good link as posted. I used it to get my cert dates and #'s off of. I couldn't print off my certs from there, but I did get the list of them (I still have my original certs).

Anyhows....if they're converting stuff over, I might as well contact them too. Who knows what I can get (if anything) out of it....

Forum Member

Default Re: dod certs

Originally posted by mccollum78
    Does anyone have an address and/or phone number to contact someone with the dodffcert office. I had a long time ago and can't find it. I am looking to come to Iraq with you guys. I already have DOD FF1, FF2, Airport FF, Driver/Operator-ARFF & Driver/Operator-Pumper. I have Hazmat Tech 1 & 2 through the Mississippi Fire Academy. I want to try and get them converted to DOD if possible. Any info would be appreciated.e-mail me at: buildinginspector@panola.com
    Try this. http://www.dodffcert.com/impliedcerts.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Call (850) 283-1113, this is the DoD cet office on Tyndal AFB in FL. They maybe able to convert to DoD if you ALREADY have ProBoard or IFSAC certs.

Rescue542, you are from Jersey right ? How are you getting you certs to transfer over to IFSAC/ProBoard ? Are you taking a test ? Presenting cirriculi ? Please tell, I also am from Jersey...this would save me having to take the class and challenging the exam.

Default dod certs

I found a site and e-mailed them. They said that they do not convert certs. Unless you are hired by the military or a dod contractor. I am assuming that wackenhut is a contractor for dod. If so we should have no trouble or might have to take a test or something. I am not real sure as of yet. I'm still working in it and will let everyone know if I find out anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bump us up we deserve a sticky!!!!!

bump bump bump

Forum Member

Smile Glad to see everyone

A few questions

IFSAC Certs. i am from NC and all my NC certs have IFSAC numbers and seals on them already. Do i also need to send away for the IFSAC certs? Or do the IFSAC numbers on my NC certs sufice.

Laptops. No one in country answered the laptop question. What kind of laptops are people using. i know the Army uses ToughBooks by Panasonic, but thats about 3-4 G's. Will a "normal" laptop survive the sandbox?

Well i think thats it for now. Talk to you all later.

dom
    June 27th

MembersZone Subscriber

Just to cover a thing or 2. First you can get laptops here, on my base they seel 3 of em in the PX Toshiba and 2 off brands. The good thing is that thet are all in the 950-1000 dollar range so fairly cheap, all you will use em for here anyway is a dvd/cd player, gamming platform, and to store pics, unless you go out and get a sattalite internet connection which I dont believe you can do on all bases. As for as an adapter yes you need one or 2 plus a power strip, save your back and buy one when you get to victory their px has everything you need. But keep in mind if you blackhawk out to your base you can only carry 25 lbs of gear, and some convoys will limit you to one bag. Packing light is the key here. But you are the one whos gonna be carrying it so if you want to hump the kitchen sink through the desert be my guest.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

25 pounds?! Isn't our chemical gear alone more than 25 pounds?

MembersZone Subscriber

and that my friend is the quandry that most guys who have to blackhawk out to a site have to deal with. what doesnt fly can get mailed or go by convoy but there is no guarentee on when, or if, it will arrive.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

Default Laptops Pack lite

Laptops are sold in country, many FFers buy Dells with DOD discount have them shipped from HOuse to them here, or straight here to base.
    Buy in Iraq, surge protectors, adaptors and converters. You can buy anything and everything here.
    I recommend 4 pants, 6 shirts 8 underwear, 8 pair socks, a cap (boonie), your boots, work out shorts, tennis shoes, belt, camera, thumb drive, hygiene for 2 weeks no more. One towel small sized.

YOur NBC bag is heavy about 60Lbs. Laptops with all the hardware are average 12lbs. THen you have a carry on about 25 Lbs. And your Ruck is about 50Lbs. These are all small, small numbers. They are usually Bigger.
    Last edited by FIRESKEITH; 05-26-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Forum Member

Default United States Postal Service

Here is the site for shipping boxes to yourself for Priority mail. Its all free. Shipping priority is faster and saves BIG money. Ship some to yourself in States for later packages. Some Boxes have one price shipping with unlimited wieght. IF you use your own box and send priority it could cost much more. It takes about 1 to 2 weeks to get boxes to you.

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po.../Priority+Mail
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Default box dude....

Thanks for that info Keith

Well, my sad news is that my buddy that SHOWED ME this job isn't going to go anymore....so I guess I can't drag my feet waiting. I'll call tomorrow to set up the fone interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool a few more questions

I just got the phone interview today and i'm slated to leave June 27. When i fly out what is reccomended that i pack. My other question is about our bunker gear. I remember in the "other" post people said they were having trouble getting it...is this still the case? Also the guy who did the interview stated that a few things had changed with the renewall of the contract, do yall have any idea what changed?

cory

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Nice Box

Keith,
    That box is great. Thanks for the info. Got 25 on the way now. This kind of information is the kind of thing that we all need to know, thumbs WAY UP on the share!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Must...bbbb...bbubuu...BUMP...BUMP

Sorry,

Can't let us fall below the Rescue Me thread.

Attached is a pic of a patch that the June 6 crew had made up. This patch is based on a current logo being used on a WSI base in Iraq. We had it put on a khaki background and then put it on a patch, the other guys have it on a t-shirt.

I know some of the ladies and men on the Friends & Family thread wanted to get ahold of some, so if you are interested, e-mail me: jlk0530@hotmail.com ...make sure to put "WSI Iraq Patch" in the subject line...otherwise I will blow right by it in my Junk Mail. Cost will be $3.00ea. + s/h via USPS to your location. I am not looking to make a killing on these, we are all family here as far as I am concerned, just want to break even and get a little bit for my leg work on the project.

Talking ...

haha, nice box...dirty

Forum Member

Smile

[

"Attached is a pic of a patch that the June 6 crew had made up. This patch is based on a current logo being used on a WSI base in Iraq. We had it put on a khaki background and then put it on a patch, the other guys have it on a t-shirt."

So where is the picture ??

Thread Information