Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 193 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 3844

Thread: Info on Iraq

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Date Set !!

Well I just got my call from Monique. I have been scheduled for November 16th. Looking forward to getting this started. Anyone else going the same time let me know. Oh yea, for those over in the "box" waiting on us "newbies", remember to take it a little easy on us older veteran's.

Paul
    "pappy"

FireKillr@aol.com

Forum Member

Default phone interview

Well i just got off the phone with monique and she had gotten my application two days ago and will be calling next week for the phone interview anyone know what comes after that. can't wait to get over there.

Semper Fi

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Physical at Houston

I appologize if this has already been answered, but, with the physical at Houston i.e. 2 min. sit ups and puch ups, 25 yard dash, and 50 yard fireman carry, is that in full turn out gear?? Thanks.

Forum Member

Default Irishfireeater

Quote Originally Posted by Irishfireater
    I appologize if this has already been answered, but, with the physical at Houston i.e. 2 min. sit ups and puch ups, 25 yard dash, and 50 yard fireman carry, is that in full turn out gear?? Thanks.
    I am in houston now and we just did the physical agility test yesterday. The agility test is no big deal. You do not do it in turn out gear. You wear PT clothes, i.e. shorts, tshirt.

It consists of:

-as many push-ups as you can do in 2 minutes
    -as many sit-ups as you can do in 2 minutes
    -a 50 yd. firemans carry (I pity you if you are the lightest person in your group)
    -a 25x4 sprint

If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer what I know about the time in Houston.

Oh yeah, don't eat the burritos the day of NBC training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pt

When you do PT in Houston, 4-25 yard dash,50 yard firemen carry, As many push ups you can do in 2min,as many situps you can do in 2min. You do PT in shorts or what ever you want to wear. we had a guy do 102 pushups in 2min, and a nother guy do 90 situps in 2min. They don't care how many you can do, they are looking to make shure all your joints move properly, but the more you can do the more you show them you want the job. Good luck to those behind us.

Forum Member

Smile phone iterview

I got my interview for the 18 of this mounth

Forum Member

Default Coug52 in reference to interview

My understanding is that at the end of the phone interview, you may get a job offer, but I have read where some get it in the mail a week or so later, through FedEx. That has all the paperwork for physical, shots needed, etc. (I have not made it that far, so someone else may be more help). Some have gotten that back to Monique/Astrid within a week. The next thing you would get (I can only gather from researching this thread) is FedEx package with your plane ticket to Houston.

MembersZone Subscriber SmokeEater1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ffmw12822
    hello fellow NC brothers i am near ashville you know the mountains,

(yall going over soon) LOL

ffmw12822
    I am already over here, been here 6 months. I am orignally from the Newland, NC (Grandfather Mtn) area. Bout 45 miles from Ashville, Right on the NC/TN Border. Shoot me an email Smoke-Eater@firehousemail.com
    I have no ambition in this world but one.. That is to be a Firefighter! The position in the eyes of some may appear to be a lowly one... It is a nobel calling

Forum Member

Here's a good question. When we fly to/arrive at Houston, do we have to be wearing our tan pants and gray shirts, or just regular street clothes? I was always planning on wearing street clothes, but I do have a habit of being underdressed at whatever function I go to, and figured this would turn out the same way, with everyone else in my group in their uniforms, and me in shorts, sneakers, and a t-shirt. Anyone?

MembersZone Subscriber

wear your shorts and whatever else you wish....A thong and flip flops would be funny.....you wont wear any uniform until you get to victory.....Dressing up a lil just helps distinguish you from KBR ( AKA Carnival workers) But what the Hell try the thong and flip flops and if you want to make it uniform like make sure it is Tan and the flip flops are grey.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default clothing

OK the best thing to ware is clothing that makes you look like your from Europe. no uniforme,no 911 shirts, no FD Stuff AT ALL. Americans ware blue jeanes,tshirts and gym shoes-don't
    a plane pare of slacks, some dork shoes, and a nice buttondown shirt.
    at least from the Mid East to your Europe lay over location.
    when your gonna land in the USA put on you (iraq location) fd shirt. it makes it easy getting back into the usa.
    dont forget to say to customs...God its nice to be back home form Iraq. They will smile at you thinking your in the Army thank you for a job well done and put you on your way. (wsi regulations will state you can not do it but thy break the rules EVERY Fing day)
    the best of luck to you

MembersZone Subscriber

sory smoke diver cant spell tonight

MembersZone Subscriber

I am putting on my Dork shoes as we speak....They go good with my thong!!!!!!!!!! I am also wearing my best Euro-trash silk shirt and gold chains....should I also speak with a european accent?.....and thats a good idea about telling customs what you said, I am sure no drug dealers would ever try that......good thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default Well written Smokediver!

Ok....if you really want to stand out go ahead and dress like the guys from night at the Rocksbury.......And play it up to the passport guys, are you trying to call attetion to yourself or what?....Just dress casual. No Nascar shirts or Harley shirts. Things of that nature. If you want to wear slacks, fine but you don't have to if you don't want. Wear some shoes that are comfortable, and relatively loose fitting. (you'll be slipping them on and off for security.) Other than that, just don't miss your flight, and you're good to go. Hell you have enough to worry about. Just enjoy yourselves in H-town, and we'll see you down range.

The on and only CUBANFIREDAWG

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What to wear

I've seen alot of questions about what to wear to Houston and to Iraq. Ok. Flying to Houston whatever you want. When you are in Houston for your classes jeans and a decent shirt. When you fly to Dubai it needs to be a plain shirt and jeans and pair of boots or tennis shoes. It doesn't matter if you look "Europen" or what because these people here know when you are from America. We stand out. I have seen people wear stuff from their home state and teams they support etc. That is their choice. If that is what you want to wear then wear that. Clothes are not a big isue only when it comes to wearing shorts. That is something that is frowned on in Dubai and in Baghdad when you arrive. So be comfortable and have fun while you can.

question:

On other then types of clothes , How many sets of not uniform type clothing should be braught ? I am asking for the fact of room it takes up in luggage and such. I guess you can always send it home in the mail from houston if need be.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default clothes to bring

Bring enough to last a minimum of one week from H-town. However, there is laundry service on Victory if need be but make sure you will be there long enough to even use it. Personally, I would bring 3 pair tan pants ( BDU or 5.11's) 8-10 pair of socks and underwear and 8-10 gray t's. For off duty, two pair of shorts or sweat pants. One pair of boots and shoes. Trust me, you can buy all you need at Victory PX and most px's on other sites are well stocked for basic items. Travel light is the key. Might add some cold and wet weather clothes. Could just have them sent over once you get to your assigned base but might be too late. Temps dropping more and more everyweek now.

to all coming over, leave expectations and attitudes behind and you will be fine.

to the "one and only" cubanfiredoggie . . . ... this is how we roll..... haahaa!!!

peace

Forum Member

Okay, thanks for the info. I actually have a few more questions that I couldn't find in my sojourns through this thread and the old one.

1. A couple of you mentioned a stuff sack for the sleeping bag. What size stuff sack? I mean, I have one for my backpacking sleeping bag that can make it the size of a football, while another is more of just a camping one and ends up being much larger. What size are the sleeping bags?

2. Also, what is the lodging like in Houston, Dubai, and Victory? I figure Houston and Dubai would be hotels, are they nice ones? And is Victory just a tent or what?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking After Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Coug52
    Well i just got off the phone with monique and she had gotten my application two days ago and will be calling next week for the phone interview anyone know what comes after that. can't wait to get over there.

Semper Fi
    After my interview I received my LARGE packet about a week later with my job offer letter, DOD stuff, tax stuff, physical (bend over, drop 'em and cough", and a whole lot of other stuff. Anyway, you have to get several things done asap---a week---the rest as fast as you can. For me, 2 weeks later I got the call from Monique to ask if I could leave in 2 weeks, but also was given several dates to chose from. MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING just in case you misplace something. Any other questions just hollar.....

Paul

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Berks2Montco84
    Okay, thanks for the info. I actually have a few more questions that I couldn't find in my sojourns through this thread and the old one.

1. A couple of you mentioned a stuff sack for the sleeping bag. What size stuff sack? I mean, I have one for my backpacking sleeping bag that can make it the size of a football, while another is more of just a camping one and ends up being much larger. What size are the sleeping bags?

2. Also, what is the lodging like in Houston, Dubai, and Victory? I figure Houston and Dubai would be hotels, are they nice ones? And is Victory just a tent or what?
    Berks,
    When you get your sleeping bag, kevlar, flak, and NBC gesr in Houston you will be able to put all of that in your NBC bag. Just put your sleeping bag in first, flak on top of it and then put in your NBC gear and kevlar. When you look at it you may not think it will all fit but believe me it will. Been there done that. Plus it mean one less bag to worry about. All you should have is a backpack with your clothes and hygiene stuff and the NBC bag.

The lodging in Houston and Dubai (although you will probably be in Sharjah) is very comfortable. Enjoy it. When you get to Victory you will be in tents on the cots and the cots are not comfortable. If you get lucky and get a base with LAS's you will then be in a regular bed. Alot more comfortable than the cots.
    Hope this helps!!! Have fun!!!

Thread Information