Thread: Info on Iraq

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireKillr
    I myself waited until the interview was completed. That day I ordered my boots due to backlog on them. Clothing from bdu.com comes real quick. The reason I waited was puttting out my own money without knowing FOR SURE that people were and when going was a factor. Hope that helps your decision.....Paul

thank you for your reply. thanks to every one who replied. i have three young daughters and while i am comitted to go i am going to miss them much.

Forum Member

Default getting close

leaving 11\29 anyone else, just sent all the paper work waiting on plane ticket. anybody near North Carolina or hell from anywhere laeving same day e-mail me ffmw1282@yahoo.com

also question for the guys over there thinking of buying a laptop should i or is there really no use for them over there. i was thinking DVD's and games if not internet. well any insight would be great.

thanks ffmw1282

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Laptops

If you don't already have one, wait. You can buy one in the Px here, or order one online. Access to the internet will be your only variable. You will NOT be able to get on the Halliburton servers, but some sites have satellite internet that they have purchased on their own. Movies, games and personal business will be your primary use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Laptops?????

Capo, how come you guys don't have access to the internet. I can understand why KBR limits access, but have you all considered going to the Army or Air Force to get access to the .mil in your station???

Your Training A/C can make the request to either DOIM or C4I for computer access within the station. He can justify the connection to access the AFCESA website for training in addition to Maxwell AFB.

Chief Gale

Forum Member

Default Just saying hello

Hey everyone in the sandbox, Hope all is well. I am still waiting on my Hire Packet from WSI so I can get this process going. still hoping to get there by the end of the year, if not early in January.

MembersZone Subscriber

fyrfinder- I see that your location is in Illinois, are your certs through the State Fire Marshal? If so how did you get your certs to be IFSAC?

Forum Member

Default IFSAC Certs

Quote Originally Posted by bmacn2
    fyrfinder- I see that your location is in Illinois, are your certs through the State Fire Marshal? If so how did you get your certs to be IFSAC?

I am from Illinois and I live in the Southwestern part of the state by Belleville, IL. Any Certs from the Office of The Illinois State Fire Marshal prior to about Mid year have the IFSAC Seal. anything after that will not have the seal. You can email me at CFire285@aol.com if you ahve any further questions on this.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am leaving on the 29th and have been bombarded with questions from friends and family about why I am doing this. I have found out that once they talk to me about it they find that they are not so judgmental. I am sure most everyone else has had to do the same. What did you tell them to make them feel better about you going. I have 4 children ages from 5 - 12 and 100% support from my wife. It will be harder than I think to leave them.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you are leaving on the 29th please
    e-mail me. firegeek7@yahoo.com
    Thanks Kenny
    Tioga Pa

MembersZone Subscriber

Default time frame

Question for all going over.....how long are "we" staying in Dubai area before going in-country ?? I have heard everything from 6 hours to 4-5 days......what's the deal ?

Paul

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dubai

Your time in Dubai should be no more than a day or two. There are some variables that will change things a bit, however, weather, security issues, sandstorms and the occassional airport worker's strike.

For example, you will most likely arrive arround 2300-2330. It will take you until about 0100 or so to get through passport control, claim your luggage, muster up outside the terminal and get on the bus. You ill them be brought to the hotel, briefed on your stay in Sharjah and then released to check in and go to bed. You will probably have a meeting at 1700 at which point they will tell you to either be prepared to depart at 0230 the next am, or that you are on your own again unti lthe next day's 1700 meeting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kbr

Quote Originally Posted by Tikcuf9905
    Hey kids. Got a question for y'all. I have a couple friends who are paramedics, but not firefighters. Are there any paramedic only jobs over there, whether WSI, KBR, or whoever? We've looked and searched and Googled but ain't found jack sh*t. I figured if anyone might know, it'd be you folks already hanging out in the sand.

Nov 29th...getting closer every day.
    www.kbrjobs.com I believe as of yesterday (2) Paramedic jobs were listed in Iraq, However they have several other contracts in different countries.
    Hope this helped!!! To all that know me....still waiting on the word...Being YES or NO.
    Richard

Forum Member

Just had interview and got offer...

Forum Member

Okay, another question. I'm not too worried about hair regulations, 'cuz I'll probably buzz it low shortly after arrival for ease of maintenance, but I want to know what kind of mustache regs y'all have over there. I don't have a big old monster walrus mustache, but it's also not just a little mliitary reg type thing either. I know the usual as far as not interfering with SCBA wear, but what else? Mine is actually OUTSIDE my dept's regs, but it's not strictly enforced as long as you don't get crazy.
    Hey, I'm in Houston this week, and KBR's got posters hanging all over the event center about facial hair regs for the NBC training. All you're allowed is a mustache that doesn't go past the edge of your mouth. When we're in country, Wackenhut regs say that your mustache can go a half inch down past the corner of your mouth I believe. What I do know is that I have to shave off my goatee either tonight or tommorow.

So anyway, I'm sitting here in the Mighty Mouse internet cafe in the mall next to CrazyCap. We're having a pretty good time down here, a good mix of briefings and down time. It's a bit of a hike from the Mariott, about 15-20 minutes, but KBR's got shuttle busses that run back and forth every so often. Anyway, we all fly out on Saturday at 4, and it seems that we're all excited. Just figured I'd update for the November 8th crew. Thanks to everyone who's helped get me this far with info and all!

Forum Member

Default Don't mess with Texas

Things are going well here, getting to know the guys, including (as of yesterday) some re-ups going back for some more. Can't wait to get there, saw some photos of sites (thanks to Kris K), these places have some great tee shirts. I will blow some bucks on those!!!! To everyone else coming along soon, Kris will take good care of you. Straight up Army, that guy. Uses the 'F' word as a conjuction for connecting sentences!!!

C ya

Bobby G

Forum Member

In other words, he fu#kin' speaks proper fuc#in' English, right fuc*er?
    Not exactly that bad, like he doesn't make it his mission to put the f-word at least two times in every sentence, but you can tell all curse words are definitely a part of his normal language, especially when riding with him down to Houston-Proper to KBR HQ to get the laptops, he curses at other drivers more than me! But to those of you coming down, he'll keep you entertained, and the cafeteria set-up will keep you well fed.

EDIT: Sometimes he does sound like that, now that I re-read it, lol....
    Last edited by Berks2Montco84; 11-10-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Forum Member

Default Back to Mondays

Be prepared for a change in your flight intinerary. I talked to Monique this Wednesday to see if all is still on track for depature on Tuesday (15th). She advised me that KBR has changed the flights to Houston back to Mondays. Just FYI for all those who are departing soon on Tuesdays.. Give Monique a call to confirm... Myself and three others on the threads are due for departure on the 15th but it looks like its going to to be Monday the 14th...and yes we are still awaiting tickets and we are three days out...
    Last edited by UTFIREGUY; 11-10-2005 at 06:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dec 5th

Just had my interview today. Looks like I am heading to Houston on Dec 5. I have to clear a few things up with IFSAC (maybe a trip to PA) but I am excited!

Chris
    bronc6@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Thanks for the flight info. I will call her tomorrow.
    Kenny

MembersZone Subscriber

Default got them

Quote Originally Posted by UTFIREGUY
    Be prepared for a change in your flight intinerary. I talked to Monique this Wednesday to see if all is still on track for depature on Tuesday (15th). She advised me that KBR has changed the flights to Houston back to Mondays. Just FYI for all those who are departing soon on Tuesdays.. Give Monique a call to confirm... Myself and three others on the threads are due for departure on the 15th but it looks like its going to to be Monday the 14th...and yes we are still awaiting tickets and we are three days out...
    Hey there brother,

I got my tickets today for the 14th, so I will see you there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pay

Ok...I have heard a couple things on this. When do you exactly start getting paid by WSI. When you get to Houston or Iraq? I keep seeing the BDU's and T's brought up. Do they not issue you them? My letter I got said they were a recommendation to pack? See in Houston on 14th or 15th. Still waiting for tickets.
    Last edited by Bigdog29; 11-10-2005 at 11:26 PM.

Forum Member

Default hello all

question, i thing i saw on here not to bring pillows and such? anyone thats gone over lately have any suggestions for stuff to bring? and is it true they drug test for alcohol, i didn't no that was illeagal?

mod date Nov. 29 or i guess the 28th now i will have to call

Thanks ffmw12822

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boots, etc

Could anyone tell me what kind/color/specs?....also, BDU's what color?
    I want to get some of this done a little beforehand...

Chris

MembersZone Subscriber

The letter I got from WSI was recommended 3 extra TAN cargo style (BDU-No Camouflage) and 5 extra grey T-shirts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Issues

You start getting paid the minute you go wheels up in Houston. So, if you depart on Saturday eveing, you will get 8hrs OCONUS for that day and each after that you are in Dubai. Once you get to Baghdad, you will start your full uplifts.

As for BDUs, True Spec or Propper are the two brands that I have seen. Go to BDU.com. The have the 100% cotton ripstop khaki that you will need.

Forum Member

Default Another Iowan

Quote Originally Posted by MrIrons
    Just had interview and got offer...
    Hey bud, good deal. Glad to have another Iowan over here.

j.

Thread Information