Forum Member

Default Some help in purchasing fitness equipment

Does anyone have any resources or suggestions in the purchasing of fitness equipment? Any brands/makes that you think are superior? I'm in the process of attempting to purchase fitness equipment for 3 firehouses, and if I had some idea as to what each house might need, it would be easier for me to pitch it to the board.

Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

Stairmaster which also carries the Quinton line of treadmill which are used in Hospitals.

Call the rep, one in our area donated a treadmill for our program.

Forum Member

Oh, thats a good idea!

Any other suggestions???

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer lifefitness brand. Very nice equipment and will take a beating. Not sure of your budget, but some needed equipment would be

Bench press rack with plenty of free weights

Squat rack

Assortment of dumbells

Ab ball

Treadmill(s)

Cross Trainer machine(s)

Stationary bike(s)

That would be a good base to get you started and if your budget allows, or over time you can build up your gyms.

Forum Member

Well to be quite honest, Ill be happy to receive any equipment from this board of commissioners. They have been arguing that the liability is too high to keep this equipment at the station. My arguement is that its a bigger liability to put 6 out of shape firefighters on the rig.

Anyway, what I'm hoping for for the first year is at least a treadmill for each house, some dumb bells , and some type of universal machine, or free weights. I prefer free weights myself.

Forum Member

anybody have input about the BOWFLEX?
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Bowflex is also a great option. I like the idea better than free weights because of ourinsurance company and you still get a great workout.
    Our insurance company incouraged us to sent up a program, but suggested that there be strict rules of use:

must be 16 yrs or older
    can't use equipment alone
    not under any influence of any substances

Just basic common sense stuff.

Permanently Removed

I was going to mention the BOWFLEX but you beat me to it. I believe it's a great machine and safer than using free weights and all that plus it's less expensive then buying all the free weights,treadmills,etc. But from experience and owning a BOWFLEX, I tell you, i work out everyday and I'm in shape, even in better shape than some of my stations certifieds....which isn't good but.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firefightergtp
    They have been arguing that the liability is too high to keep this equipment at the station.
    We had the same issue a couple of years ago. Now the department pays for our gym membership. There are certain guidelines though. A proby cannot sign up for the gym, you must go at least 8 times a month, you can only sign up at the beginning of each quarter, and you must be in good standing in the department.

If for whatever reason you cannot or do not attend 8X/month you for two consecutive months, you out for the rest of the quarter and the next quarter.

Just another option.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

Regarding the Bowflex, it is a great machine that can yield great results. In my experience though, it just is not durable enough for multiple firefighters to use daily.

Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

We tried to get an answer from Bowflex about what constitutes commercial use (voids the warranty). They have not replied to our question. Be very careful about buying any equipment that is not meant for commercial use, most non-commercial fitness companies will not honor warranties if used for fire/police station use. We have had great success with Precor and Vision Fitness. How come I never see Bowflex in any gyms or fitness centers?

Thread Information