Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default New from Effingham County, GA

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to firefighting but learning as much as I can as fast as I can. Thanks to passing mod-1 Saturday, I get sworn in (or at?) tonight as a volunteer FF (yay - I get the orange probie helmet, so fashionable LOL) I also do Search and Rescue with our 3 K-9s.

Regards,

Cate

Cate,

Congratulations. Hope the orange lid will be good for you and the color will change as you progress.

Continue to study hard, learn everything you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions at the station and on here, if you don't understand.

Remember that safety is the first and always the top priority!

What part of GA are you located?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I'm with Effingham County Fire Rescue in Guyton, Georgia, near Savannah. I heard that actually they are changing the orange = probie rule to be a orange helmet = someone you don't grab and take into a structural fire... basically our station chief will check us out and when we are comfortable with it we'll get the black helmet. I think I'll wear the orange a little while longer *grin*

I love to learn and push myself, and this just seemed a really cool way to expand upon my beloved K-9 SAR since the dept wanted me for the SAR part of the special ops team. My only worry is that for practicals for FF1 I have to carry people down ladders, and being 5'2" I'm a little stressed over that one!!! Time to start pumping iron hehehehehehe. Getting used to not being able to "breathe" (SCBA) is a bit of a hurdle, but I'm slowly getting more comfortable with it. Actually, there's a whole lot about firefighting that intimidates this poor hapless computer nerd, but I'm loving it and hey, it's good for people to challenge their inner hurdles.

Cate

Thread Information