Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detroit F.D.

Default Detroit F.D.

I saw the thread regarding all the problems in Detroit, and began to wonder. What would be the opposite department than Detroit? What are the great departments around the nation? Organized, well trained, well paid, good equipment? Just wondering. Thanks

Forum Member

Don't equate the brothers in Detroit with the situation that the political mutts and yes, the people of Detroit, have placed them in. Their circumstance is not of their making.

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw the thread regarding all the problems in Detroit, and began to wonder. What would be the opposite department than Detroit?What are the great departments around the nation? Organized, well trained, well paid, good equipment? Just wondering.
    -Great Depts.? What is your defintion?

-Orgainized? As opposed to unorgainized?

-Well trained? To who's standards?

-Well paid? Never met any Fireman that was well paid

-Good equipment? I know plenty of the worlds best firemen and fire departments have Sh*tty equipment and poor backing by their city...they often have plenty of fires and are exreemly competant and most experienced guys you'll ever meet. Meanhwhile I know a number of well funded, supposedly well trained FDs who couldn't toss a room or force a steel door or advance a 2 1/2 handline worth a damn so what is the correlation?

I've met some brothers and some police officers from Detroit. Those guys might have few resourses and no backing from their city buraucrats however they do the best they can with what little they are given and I would have no problem of going to a job with any of them.

FTM-PTB

--------------------------------------------------------
    Quote by FFRED-

Good equipment? I know plenty of the worlds best firemen and fire departments have Sh*tty equipment and poor backing by their city...they often have plenty of fires and are exreemly competant and most experienced guys you'll ever meet. Meanhwhile I know a number of well funded, supposedly well trained FDs who couldn't toss a room or force a steel door or advance a 2 1/2 handline worth a damn so what is the correlation?

I've met some brothers and some police officers from Detroit. Those guys might have few resourses and no backing from their city buraucrats however they do the best they can with what little they are given and I would have no problem of going to a job with any of them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Amen brother.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

ditto FFRED ...........nice first post by the starter huh ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I didn't get the impression at all that he was critisizing Detroit. No where did he say that the problems were the cause of the firefighters nor did he bash them. He generalized about the negative things that have been happening there.

He is looking for some positive things within different Fire Departments in balance to some of the difficulties that Detroit has faced. Come on guys, quit looking for ways to bash people. Here's a chance to crow about the good things YOUR department has.

For me, Pheonix has always been held as the highest standard, I've only heard excellent things about them.
    IACOJ

On a national level, I too have heard nothing but good things about Pheonix. As for around here, City of Sarasota and Miami-Dade seem to have their act together.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

No one has anything positive to say about theirs or any other Dept that they know of?
    IACOJ

No one has anything positive to say about the MANAGMENT of their Dept.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

DETROIT FIRE DEPARTMENT IS A GREAT DEPARTMENT. Yes, the managment blows. I will put my boys against the so called best in the world and we can make them look like a bunch of cadets.

"We have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing"
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Forum Member

So Motown, you would say that DFD's greatest strength is the ability of it's firefighters to overcome adversity and politics to continue to provide excellent service to the community.

Excellent

Anyone else have anything good to say about their Department?
    IACOJ

Thread Information