Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Your basic car fire (good video)

Just came across this and thought I would share. Good engine
    placement to protect the personnel.

http://www.collegehumor.com/?movie_id=155118

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

You beat me to it I watch all the videos on collegehumor all the time. The site rules. Also any of you who want to view it , have the newest windows media update and a broadband connection otherwise you'll be there all day.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Default Re: Your basic car fire (good video)

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    Just came across this and thought I would share. Good engine
    placement to protect the personnel.

http://www.collegehumor.com/?movie_id=155118

-Bou
    Cool video.

The engine was in a good spot, except for being down wind (hope the engineer had an SCBA). I dont think I would attack from the end of the car though. Ever seen how far thoes shock loaded bumpers fly?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Default Hmmm...

Now that I think of it...

I still like the engine spot. Protecting the crew
    with big red and the emergency lights.

Now seriously-

The video camera was just in the right place, right
    time. The fire extinguisher didnt work (convienent)
    and they documented it on tape.

Hmmmm...Maybe it was just time for a new car? Scott
    Peterson driving?
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-24-2005 at 08:38 PM.

Forum Member

As a Fire Fighter..it was a great video
    As a car guy I wanted to cry

I dont have much experience with car fires, so I have a question. When you fight a car fire should you attack from the rear of the car and go forward, to keep the same concept as when fighting a house fire, this being that the fire is in the engine compartment?

I love that site! Things can get a little raunchy with the pictures, but who is complaining.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Always fight a car fire from the side. Don't stand in front or rear; the bumpers can fly off and hurt you.

If it is in the engine compartment, open the hood (from the side, if possible) and fight the fire from the side.

the bumpers can fly off and hurt you
    Lots of bumpers these days are not shock loaded and are made of styrofoam with a plastic cover, but good advice still.

I'm more concerned with piston struts being used in hoods/trunks and their reaction once they heat up.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

There's nothing here to criticize.

Engine was placed appropriately to protect them from the largest hazard (traffic). From what was seen, the smoke was easily clearing the Engine...so it was parked far enough away so you don't have to worry about the pump operator. The Officer & Firefighters did a good, quick, efficient move in and knock down. They didn't have the resources to shutdown the road, so they made the best and blocked their work area off and made a quick attack from the rear roadside corner towards the grass so their stream didn't inadvertently hit traffic.

Are there things to learn? Well, a good discussion is fine and that can be done without picking nits.

Attack the fire quickly, efficiently, and in the safest way practical which generally means start from a corner.

The sooner you put water on the fire and knock it down, the sooner everything starts to cool and things get safer.

Corners are safest to start with -- bumpers, struts can go front/back. Tires and cargo inside can go side-to-side (ever see which way a gun rack is pointed in most trucks ) Corners are the least hazardous of a hazardous activity. Start from that position to knock down the fire and cool things off and then move into overhaul. Stay mindful of "danger zones" like bumpers and struts as you're overhauling. But the sooner the fire is knocked down, the sooner things start to become safer.

As to where to start, doesn't really matter unless you see a particular hazard -- hmmm, gas tank in the back seat, better cool that off first. Usually I hit the tires on the approach, hit the passenger compartment to darken it, hit the engine to knock down the biggest source of heat/fuel driving the fire, move around to hit the tires on the other side, then finish up the passenger compartment. Unless you have an RV, you're not going to push the fire anywhere. I'm sure people have done it, but I can't imagine having a handline that flows enough to push a fire in a car but not enough to instantly knock the fire down. Not everything burns on every car fire, so even the above order will vary!
    Trolls? We don't need no stinking Trolls.
    -------
    Don't confuse me with facts, because I actually do like to sound like an idiot.

Looked to me like Billy Bob's home-grown modifications didn't work out. Nice job from the FD--I think the approach was kind of from the back corner rather than the true back. Sometimes there is no perfect way to approach them, but I think these guys did a nice, safe job.

Dang good response time, too. Just goes to show how fast a vehicle can go up.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Good post GimliOnFire.
    Totally forgot about the direction of a gun rack. You just may have saved my life! I know I have asked if there is ammo in the vehicle when I have seen a gun rack but never thought about the guns being mounted and loaded.
    Last edited by ROOKIELZ; 05-25-2005 at 12:39 PM.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Man...

I lost my Turbo Supra similar to that. Bad memories, I have to feel sorry for the kid, looked like he put some cash into that car. I had 30g (yes that is 30 thousand) in parts alone on my supra. I felt like crap watching my own car burn after all the hours put into it.

Worse feeling in the world -> Being a fire fighter and not being able to save your own property.

As learned we are really not much without our gear.
    [FONT=Garamond]Asst. Chief Chris Jennings

Forum Member

I love that song, I think I like Wheezers version better

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

What I found amusing was that the fire is TINY when they first start filming....OK, they didn't have a functional extinguisher, but I'd think they could have thrown some dirt on it, ******ed on it, tossed a Big Gulp at it... anything to keep it from spreading...No, wait, better idea...get the camera, let's get some close-ups before it spreads!

Hmmmm...Maybe it was just time for a new car?
    Hmmm...maybe....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

interesting video and I too think the FD did a textbook job....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Good job by the FD.

It looks like the air bag modules are missing from the steering wheel and passenger dash. I wonder what other mods were done to the vehicle.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Thread Information